Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
Oops... Didn't catch your path. Found it...
[doublepost=1562944219][/doublepost]I will see what they say. It would be funny if this works, and they don't know about it. *shrug*

Thanks for the post. An interesting way to fix this issue.

Apple has known about this for years. Not much they can do with a plist file.

Don't think they care or that it really matters other than in trivial circumstances like this one.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Editing the plist did not work. It still knew it was a .2 backup somehow. There must be a database, probably in iTunes, that it's marked in. Oh well...

The answer is to enable iCloud for everything, and then using the App Store app, download each app manually, and for the apps that don't use iCloud for settings backups, log back in, unless their data is local to the 8+ too, then (screwed).

12.4 beta is 'not a solution we can recommend', and the 13 beta has a note about complications with Apple Watches on earlier WatchOS versions as well as a long list of 'issues'. So: I'm staying where I am, unless I get a wild hair and decide to do the 12.4 beta, or try to hack iTunes. (That last bit is a joke, because I did hack my iTunes once, and ended up having to re-rip every CD I owned over again because artists disappeared. It was not a good time)

Officially there is 'no release date' for either 12.4, or 13.

So, DENIED, unless I want to do a lot of work...

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Apple really needs to solve this; it's ridiculous that people can't upgrade to a new device because they were on an iOS version only sent to some devices.

The solution would be to include a "minimum version" token in the backup, and if they release an iOS version specific to a model, set the "minimum version" to the latest iOS version that's available for all devices. Then you can restore, say, a 12.3.2 backup onto 12.3.1.

This would be trivial to fix and a hell of a lot better than making people install betas to upgrade their devices!

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
And my solution?

They did not recommend it. What do you think they would say? The files aren't served by Apple, and that throws the solution off their 'domain'. Plus I could lose most if not all of the data I'm trying to save and have no way to restore it from a backup because I'd be in the same position I'm in now. I so wish I had upgraded this iPhone on my Mac, and I'd have the backup file to try to use myself, but don't think it'll fix anything.

The *best* solution is to wait for 12.4 to ship. Second best is to use 12.4 Beta. Third best is to use 13 Beta. Fourth is to return the Max, and perhaps purchase another one in the future after this has all shaken out.
[doublepost=1563047021][/doublepost]
Apple really needs to solve this; it's ridiculous that people can't upgrade to a new device because they were on an iOS version only sent to some devices.

The solution would be to include a "minimum version" token in the backup, and if they release an iOS version specific to a model, set the "minimum version" to the latest iOS version that's available for all devices. Then you can restore, say, a 12.3.2 backup onto 12.3.1.

This would be trivial to fix and a hell of a lot better than making people install betas to upgrade their devices!

I agree, and the engineer said that it would seem to be an 'easy fix', but they had no plans, that he knew, of doing that. I said that I imagine there are quite a few people in this predicament, and at first he said 'Yes, a few', and then later said 'yeah, quite a few, and many aren't happy at all'. Yeah, no kidding... DOH!!!

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I agree, and the engineer said that it would seem to be an 'easy fix', but they had no plans, that he knew, of doing that. I said that I imagine there are quite a few people in this predicament, and at first he said 'Yes, a few', and then later said 'yeah, quite a few, and many aren't happy at all'. Yeah, no kidding... DOH!!!

Nevermind that pissing off a customer the very day they buy a new device, probably when they're still at the STORE even and can just say "I changed my mind, I'd like to return this." is not the smartest thing in the world to do!

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
They did not recommend it. What do you think they would say? The files aren't served by Apple, and that throws the solution off their 'domain'. Plus I could lose most if not all of the data I'm trying to save and have no way to restore it from a backup because I'd be in the same position I'm in now. I so wish I had upgraded this iPhone on my Mac, and I'd have the backup file to try to use myself, but don't think it'll fix anything.

The *best* solution is to wait for 12.4 to ship. Second best is to use 12.4 Beta. Third best is to use 13 Beta. Fourth is to return the Max, and perhaps purchase another one in the future after this has all shaken out.
[doublepost=1563047021][/doublepost]

I know they don't recommend it. I don't think I said they would. But it will work, and AFAIK IPSW.me pulls from Apple.

tnkrmdc

Cancelled
Sep 1, 2009
I know that it would be a little work but couldn’t you upgrade to 12.4 beta to restore the back up. Then use iTunes to downgrade back to 12.3.1. I have had to downgrade from betas before and I haven’t lost any information before.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I know that it would be a little work but couldn’t you upgrade to 12.4 beta to restore the back up. Then use iTunes to downgrade back to 12.3.1. I have had to downgrade from betas before and I haven’t lost any information before.

The engineer said no. I would have to have a backup to downgrade to, and something about getting out of the beta requires a wipe/reset. Believe me, I went through the iterations I could think of with him on the phone. I've never done a downgrade, especially with beta software, so I don't know if it's easy, and if it would set me back. I could try a backup of 12.3.1 now, but it's also not fully setup, and the backup wouldn't get any of the app data, etc.

I guess I could experiment with the Max.

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
About changing iOS version, are you sure you've done it in this way? Used this guide to downgrade fro iOS 12 beta last year.

And for future readers: Apple made iOS version restrictions not just because they're pure evil! Database dasign and tools may differ in newer iOS version so they are not compatible. If you change iOS version in plist and restore the backup some data may not be restored.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 4.40.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 4.40.42 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 131
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 4.40.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 4.40.45 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 139
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 4.40.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 4.40.38 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 155

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
So, will 12.4 ship this week? Not holding my breath, but it is a new week. Another week for Apple to do people right who are stuck not able to use their new iPhones, I can hope...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
It's been out today for several hours. I hope that takes care of your problem - best luck.

HAH! Yeah, I have the Max restored, but can't get AT&T to bless it with cellular service. Dicks... It's always such drama with them. The last time I did this, I had to go back twice because the SIM stopped working. *POOF* No cellular service. Drama... Drama... Drama...

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
HAH! Yeah, I have the Max restored, but can't get AT&T to bless it with cellular service. Dicks... It's always such drama with them. The last time I did this, I had to go back twice because the SIM stopped working. *POOF* No cellular service. Drama... Drama... Drama...

There is no such thing as good cell service from a major US carrier, AFAIK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.