Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Going from a Mini to a 15/15 Pro

• Mini to 15 - regret it

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Mini to 15 - love it

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Mini to 15 Pro - regret it

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Mini to 15 Pro - love it

Votes: 18 56.3%

• Total voters

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
The main considerations here are size and weight, given the iOS experience will be almost identical (bar a fiew things, dynamic island, action button, etc.)

The voting poll is self-explanatory... do you regret going from a Mini to a 15/15 Pro or are you happy with the move?

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Im quite happy, although ive kept my 12 and 13 minis. Yes the 15 Pro is larger but its not too bad, and can still be used one handed, just not as comfortably. Weight is actually not an issue as the 15 Pro is quite light for its size. On the other end of the scale, the 15 Pro is noticeably smaller than my 8 Plus!

Reactions: cman-uk

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Weight is actually not an issue as the 15 Pro is quite light for its size. On the other end of the scale, the 15 Pro is noticeably smaller than my 8 Plus!

Thanks - whilst I read the 14 Pro was weighted a little top heavy, seems 15 line is more balanced in that regard. Good to know.

I am happy with my 15 Pro. I still use my 13 mini for work.

Must be interesting to flip between the two, not being able to reach all corners with one hand, on the 15 Pro must be annoying...

Reactions: snipr125

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
If you're going from a mini to a 15 you will love the extra battery life. If you're going from a mini to a 15 Pro you will need to turn off the AOD or you will be disappointed in the battery life. Either way, the extra size and weight is significant and you will definitely notice it. You need to decide if the larger screen and other benefits (i.e. slightly better camera, slightly brighter screen) are worth putting up with the extra size and weight.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
The plus would be longer battery life and a better camera, but the extra size and weight would be the biggest downside.

SE30_neal

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2016
Uk
I regret it myself. I’m not saying I don’t like it, I do, battery is way better for 1. But and there’s a big but!!! For what I use it for, YouTube, a few apps and camera occasionally it doesn’t do anything new. I watched and read the hype from people that may use its awesome capabilities, but I don’t. It cost me a £1000 for little. I could have easily replaced the battery and changed the case for a £100 and been happy with my 12 mini! I'm not saying for those who use the camera wouldn’t be happy with the changes but really it’s not enough of an upgrade for the money. It doesn’t do anything new! Sure everything is slightly better; screen, sound and pictures but not by enough for the money. I’m not a big phone photographer as I have a dslr for that, the raw power is impressive but again I don’t use that power so it has little advantage. I also hate the island, it gets in the way. I prefer the notch. The camera notches are massive too. Look like carbuncles!! I’ve just ordered covers for them as i worry they’ll get scratched. Also with that my case is fat to cover the lenses. Not an issue with the 12 mini.
Overall I’m disappointed for the money. I’m sure it can do loads that I’m not using it for, great for those people but myself as a basic user after 3 years I’m not impressed and it cost big money.

Neal

Reactions: cman-uk and DaPhox

SE30_neal

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2016
Uk
I should add to that and say my favorite iPhone was the 5s, i followed that with an 8 plus, hated the size so went 12 mini with 128gb. That met my needs. 15 pro, though nice, it doesn’t feel like an improvement i expected, that’s all.

verity

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
I loved the size of 13 mini, but for work got a 15 pro. Don’t care at all for an unnecessarily bloated screen. But the battery life and usbc are definitely nice. Oh well, can’t have it all.

SE30_neal

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2016
Uk
I’m not knocking it as a product. I just expected more. Each version I’ve had from iPhone 2 onwards they’ve blown my mind. This one though, nothing tangible for me. I wish I’d stayed with my 12 mini. Future proofing sure and there are improvements but nothing worth the money, for me. Bar the better battery which I could of gotten for £60 with my mini replacement.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I’m not knocking it as a product. I just expected more. Each version I’ve had from iPhone 2 onwards they’ve blown my mind. This one though, nothing tangible for me. I wish I’d stayed with my 12 mini. Future proofing sure and there are improvements but nothing worth the money, for me. Bar the better battery which I could of gotten for £60 with my mini replacement.
Sounds like the phone you should of bought was the regular 15 not the Pro. Purchasing something you don't need and then complaining about it is ridiculous.. Could of saved you money and it would of easily outperformed your 12 mini in every category..

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Went from the 12 mini to the 14 Pro last year. I'm still not used to it. Despite my eye problems and its battery life, I'd probably go back to it for my hand's sake.

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2021
The 120Hz screen is what keeps me from using my 12 mini anymore. It's hard to go back to 60Hz now.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
The 120Hz screen is what keeps me from using my 12 mini anymore. It's hard to go back to 60Hz now.
Yes same, my wifes galaxy s22 ultra was stolen so i gave her my 13 mini to use. She actually likes it a lot considering she is used to large android phablets. The 60 hz screen is immediately noticable to both of us though (i got the 15 Pro also myself).

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Very happy with my move from 12 mini to a regular 15.
Same—while I loved the small phone, even with a replacement battery, I was often worried about battery life (it was great in the early days, but I suspect things got a bit more power hungry over the years). The tradeoffs feel worth it—finally everything is on USB-C at home, the cameras are fantastic, and I've been appreciating the Dynamic Island (when apps support it).

I'd say my hands are probably medium-to-large—even then, I appreciated the small and compact form factor of the 12 mini. The 15 took some getting used to, but wasn't terrible (and feels much lighter than the 11 and 8 Plus I used to have). Generally when I'm at home I'll swap the MagSafe wallet I'm using for one of the Lamicall Rings for extra stability (and just a little bit as a fidget toy).

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
I wish the poll was a little more nuanced. I went from a mini to a 15 Pro and I don't regret it but I don't love the Pro either. I like it just enough to not want to switch back, for now. I do still use a mini when I'm working out in the yard and want to listen to Spotify.

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
Last year I went from 12 mini to 14 Pro Max. Despite a little bit of regrets about how much portable is the mini, camera, battery and display upgrade worth it, in my opinion.

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2021
Last year I went from 12 mini to 14 Pro Max. Despite a little bit of regrets about how much portable is the mini, camera, battery and display upgrade worth it, in my opinion.
That's how I feel. I loved my mini to death, but the screen and battery of the pro is top notch (no pun intended). I'm also really loving the dynamic island.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.