Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Going from a Mini to a 15/15 Pro

• Mini to 15 - regret it

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Mini to 15 - love it

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Mini to 15 Pro - regret it

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Mini to 15 Pro - love it

Votes: 18 56.3%

• Total voters

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I regret it myself. I’m not saying I don’t like it, I do, battery is way better for 1. But and there’s a big but!!! For what I use it for, YouTube, a few apps and camera occasionally it doesn’t do anything new. I watched and read the hype from people that may use its awesome capabilities, but I don’t. It cost me a £1000 for little. I could have easily replaced the battery and changed the case for a £100 and been happy with my 12 mini! I'm not saying for those who use the camera wouldn’t be happy with the changes but really it’s not enough of an upgrade for the money. It doesn’t do anything new! Sure everything is slightly better; screen, sound and pictures but not by enough for the money. I’m not a big phone photographer as I have a dslr for that, the raw power is impressive but again I don’t use that power so it has little advantage. I also hate the island, it gets in the way. I prefer the notch. The camera notches are massive too. Look like carbuncles!! I’ve just ordered covers for them as i worry they’ll get scratched. Also with that my case is fat to cover the lenses. Not an issue with the 12 mini.
Overall I’m disappointed for the money. I’m sure it can do loads that I’m not using it for, great for those people but myself as a basic user after 3 years I’m not impressed and it cost big money.

Neal
Since starting the thread, I moved to a 15Pro from the 12Mini and largely agree with your sentiments. The 12Mini wasn't slow in any areas that I use the phone for, so the performance increase is

For me it was a decision point, renew the battery on the 12Mini (which was around 82%) and keep going for another 2 or so years, or jump to the latest model and recoup some £ by selling the 12Mini. Sooner or later it was going to happen, given they are not making the Mini anymore, so went ahead with it. Managed to get the 15Pro for £780, down from the retail price £999 (unwanted upgrade from someone else) so that helps with the 'man maths' side of things.

The 'big but...' for me is still the size. As a left handed user, reaching the right side of the keyboard, or hitting the 'send' button in WhatsApp is just unnecessary hassle.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
The 'big but...' for me is still the size. As a left handed user, reaching the right side of the keyboard, or hitting the 'send' button in WhatsApp is just unnecessary hassle.
If you don't know already, you can shrink the keyboard to the left or right side of the screen to make one handed typing a little more bearable. Just hold down that emoji/international button in the bottom left and select which side you want the keyboard on (I'm not sure if this affects WhatsApp at all as I don't use it)

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
Since starting the thread, I moved to a 15Pro from the 12Mini and largely agree with your sentiments. The 12Mini wasn't slow in any areas that I use the phone for, so the performance increase is

For me it was a decision point, renew the battery on the 12Mini (which was around 82%) and keep going for another 2 or so years, or jump to the latest model and recoup some £ by selling the 12Mini. Sooner or later it was going to happen, given they are not making the Mini anymore, so went ahead with it. Managed to get the 15Pro for £780, down from the retail price £999 (unwanted upgrade from someone else) so that helps with the 'man maths' side of things.

If you want mini size more than anything else, you may consider to buy a 13 mini: battery and camera seems to be a little better.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
I involuntarily joined the 13 mini to 15 club when I woke up and my 13 mini wouldn’t power on. Tried every trick in the book to no avail and finally brought it in to an Apple Store where it was diagnosed with a fried mainboard. The genius himself said it wasn’t worth paying the exorbitant fee to repair it, so I bought a 15 to replace it. I’ve owned iPhones since the 2007 original and I’ve never seen one die so spectacularly, it was just 2 years old. I’ll send it in the Rossman repair and see if they can fix it for less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.