Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 19, 2020
iPads are computers for 90 percent of the personal computing users. People think they need 64GB RAM and 20 core CPUs to read email and browse the internet.

just because people believe it does not make it true. I can browse the web and read email on my Kindle. that's not a computer either. the iPad is the best tablet and does lots of computer stuff.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
just because people believe it does not make it true. I can browse the web and read email on my Kindle. that's not a computer either. the iPad is the best tablet and does lots of computer stuff.

There's a huge difference browsing the web on a modern tablet or smartphone versus the experimental browser on an underpowered Kindle.

I expect the reality is most people don't even need an iPad. Their smartphone suffices for personal computing needs (likely YouTube, social media, web browsing, online banking, etc for most).

Now work stuff is where using just the iPad can be problematic or even totally not doable unless one uses the iPad to remote into a work desktop.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 19, 2020
There's a huge difference browsing the web on a modern tablet or smartphone versus the experimental browser on an underpowered Kindle.

I expect the reality is most people don't even need an iPad. Their smartphone suffices for personal computing needs (likely YouTube, social media, web browsing, online banking, etc for most).

Now work stuff is where using just the iPad can be problematic or even totally not doable unless one uses the iPad to remote into a work desktop.

I definitely don't "need" an iPad, but its great for watching videos, reading magazines and comics, drawing with apple pencil, etc. I bought the M1 iPad Pro because I thought apple was going to make a push for pro apps for it. Two years later only DaVinci Resolve has arrived. So I do not take the iPad seriously now. Its just an accessory.

flobach

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Germany

computer​

[ kuhm-pyoo-ter ]

noun

a programmable electronic device designed to accept data, perform prescribed mathematical and logical operations at high speed, and display the results of these operations. Mainframes, desktop and laptop computers, tablets, and smartphones are some of the different types of computers.

Source

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 19, 2020

computer​

[ kuhm-pyoo-ter ]

noun

a programmable electronic device designed to accept data, perform prescribed mathematical and logical operations at high speed, and display the results of these operations. Mainframes, desktop and laptop computers, tablets, and smartphones are some of the different types of computers.

Source

until you need to drop down to the command line and compile some code or install software that apple doesn't get a cut of..

so no. not a real computer.

if you are jailbroken, you can almost make the argument though. this has been debated numerous times and does not belong in this thread. If you believe your iPad is a car, then I support your right to believe that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3Rock and VaruLV

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
until you need to drop down to the command line and compile some code or install software that apple doesn't get a cut of..

if you are jailbroken, you can almost make the argument though. this has been debated numerous times and does not belong in this thread. If you believe your iPad is a car, then I support your right to believe that.
Mac OS famously didn’t have a command line interface until Mac OS X came out in 2001 (1999 for the the server version). Guess Macs of the 80s and 90s weren’t real computers then. My car has a few dozen computers in it as well, can’t install any software that I’d like there either.

Reactions: kltmom

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I've got an Air 4, Air 5 and mini 6.

On all of them, my right index finger works 99% of the time.

Meanwhile, my left index and left middle finger fail 99% of the time.

With the old home button TouchID, both my left and right hand fingers authenticate fine.
Touch ID works suprisingly well on the mini 6. When I first got it I was skeptical about how well it would work with it being integrated into the power button. At the time I thought that it would have been better if Apple had gone with Face ID instead. However, having used it I have no issues with it and if the next generation mini retains Touch ID I wouldn't mind.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Touch ID works suprisingly well on the mini 6. When I first got it I was skeptical about how well it would work with it being integrated into the power button. At the time I thought that it would have been better if Apple had gone with Face ID instead. However, having used it I have no issues with it and if the next generation mini retains Touch ID I wouldn't mind.
I agree. It works better than the touchID on my wife’s mini 5 when I use them. I was skeptical at first but pleasantly surprised.

BhaveshUK

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012

Aren’t you the one who brought this topic into the conversation by stating iPad isn’t a computer? Unless you mean anything that goes against this narrative shouldn’t be raised in your thread?

Just felt redundant toting the iPad Pro 11 and a M2 Macbook Air. Am I going to have a hard time adjusting to the lack of screen snappiness or will it be barely noticeable? I picked up the 5G/256/purple. I mainly use my iPad for comics, magazines, videos.

Onto your original question. Your use case sounds like a perfect fit for the Mini.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 19, 2020
Aren’t you the one who brought this topic into the conversation by stating iPad isn’t a computer? Unless you mean anything that goes against this narrative shouldn’t be raised in your thread?

yes. it was accident. :D

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Just felt redundant toting the iPad Pro 11 and a M2 Macbook Air. Am I going to have a hard time adjusting to the lack of screen snappiness or will it be barely noticeable? I picked up the 5G/256/purple. I mainly use my iPad for comics, magazines, videos.
No, you will absolutely get used to it after a few days. You already have a non 120hz display in your M2 MacBook Air. I personally find 120hz way overrated. It's nice, but not indispensable.

Reactions: headlessmike

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
I've got an Air 4, Air 5 and mini 6.

On all of them, my right index finger works 99% of the time.

Meanwhile, my left index and left middle finger fail 99% of the time.

With the old home button TouchID, both my left and right hand fingers authenticate fine.

This is my experience as well. Some people with more calloused hands might have an issue though. One of my uncles has that problem. Face ID was a godsend for him.

uncming

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
I’m lucky enough to have a MBP, IPP 12.9 M1, and a iPad mini 6. Each has its purpose and does it well. For work it’s the MBP. For movies and games and work on the go, IPP 12.9. For reading books and light browsing iPad mini 6. When I’m lounging on the couch I find myself reaching for the mini. It’s so comfortable to hold. However the IPP is great for movies and the enhanced screen is easier on the eyes.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth

By the pure definition of "computer", an old Nokia could very well count as one. Every Apple device is a real, true computer. They just fit different lifestyles.

Are you a professional music or video producer? A MacBook would likely be a good computer for you.
Like drawing, playing AAA games, or reading books? An iPad would be a wise computer choice.
Do you like light devices that you can use on the go? iPhone has you covered as a very portable computer.
Hate carrying things? The Apple Watch is a computer that fits on your wrist, so you can access it whenever.

Reactions: flobach

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
By the pure definition of "computer", an old Nokia could very well count as one. Every Apple device is a real, true computer. They just fit different lifestyles.

Are you a professional music or video producer? A MacBook would likely be a good computer for you.
Like drawing, playing AAA games, or reading books? An iPad would be a wise computer choice.
Do you like light devices that you can use on the go? iPhone has you covered as a very portable computer.
Hate carrying things? The Apple Watch is a computer that fits on your wrist, so you can access it whenever.

For AAA games, Windows is the de facto standard.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Thanks for all of the input. Mini arrived and I really do not notice a difference with the screen. Its really nice.

Congratulations. I’ve had both and I use the Mini much more due to the portability. And I agree, the screen is just superb. I’ve never noticed jelly scrolling. Colors are vibrant. It’s a great device.

Reactions: sparksd

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have a 14" MBP, an iPad mini 6 cellular, and a 12.9" iPad Pro M1 wifi (graciously provided by my workplace).

I select the right tool for the right job.

And as far as I'm concerned, the iPad is a computer. I don't code, so the argument that there's no terminal or command line access is out the window (no pun intended). But, if I can edit a PowerPoint deck on it, access remote work applications via Citrix, upload/download/forward files, write notes during a meeting, open/edit/create Word and Pages documents, and even do all the above while split-screening a web browser window and float a video window on top of it all, it's a computer. And while I never use it on the built-in screen, Stage Manager is really something when my iPad Pro is connected to an external display.

And it's not uncommon at all that I'll use two at the same time. I find it faster to take handwritten notes in a meeting on my iPad mini while having other documents open on my laptop. I haven't used a pen and paper in years (and, subsequently, tend to lose things a whole lot less).

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
My Pro 11 M1 is a 256GB wifi only version that floats around half full. I've been toying with buying a 64GB cellular mini to carry around- I think that'll be plenty of storage for internet use, podcasts, books, etc. but am a little unsure about the capacity.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
My Pro 11 M1 is a 256GB wifi only version that floats around half full. I've been toying with buying a 64GB cellular mini to carry around- I think that'll be plenty of storage for internet use, podcasts, books, etc. but am a little unsure about the capacity.
I have an 11 inch iPad Pro with 256GB and at any time I’m only using 30-40GB. I picked up an iPad mini 6 64GB and use the same 30-40GB. I’ve had my mini 6 since launch and I’ve not regretted getting 64GB. I have a good understand of my usage. I’ve had my iPad Pro for 2.5 years and used the same 30-40GB of storage and before that I had a 256GB 10.5 inch pro for 3 years and used the same 30-40GB of storage.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
I have an 11 inch iPad Pro with 256GB and at any time I’m only using 30-40GB. I picked up an iPad mini 6 64GB and use the same 30-40GB. I’ve had my mini 6 since launch and I’ve not regretted getting 64GB. I have a good understand of my usage. I’ve had my iPad Pro for 2.5 years and used the same 30-40GB of storage and before that I had a 256GB 10.5 inch pro for 3 years and used the same 30-40GB of storage.
In my use, I use my iPad as my main device, and don't store many photos or files that I don't need. Not to conserve storage, but so that they aren't cluttering around the things I do need. Because of this, 128gb is almost too much for me. I love having that extra room and can safely use my device without worrying about hitting a cap.

Reactions: Shanghaichica
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.