Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I am similarly wondering about the sixth generation iPad mini and comics. I'm due to buy one soon and reading comics has become a new regular thing for me. Most of my comics are either bought through Apple Books and Google Play Books (in the case of trade paperbacks), the Marvel app (in the case of single issues or trade paperbacks that aren't on the prior two) and DC Universe Infinite (the one subscription service that I have). These are no problem on a fourth/fifth generation iPad Air's screen. Am hoping that the mini's screen isn't too small and that the detail offered by the "Retina" DPI would offset any issues I'd have with a smaller tablet size.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I am similarly wondering about the sixth generation iPad mini and comics. I'm due to buy one soon and reading comics has become a new regular thing for me. Most of my comics are either bought through Apple Books and Google Play Books (in the case of trade paperbacks), the Marvel app (in the case of single issues or trade paperbacks that aren't on the prior two) and DC Universe Infinite (the one subscription service that I have). These are no problem on a fourth/fifth generation iPad Air's screen. Am hoping that the mini's screen isn't too small and that the detail offered by the "Retina" DPI would offset any issues I'd have with a smaller tablet size.

Only way to know is by trying.

For me, it’s great for manga since those tend to have larger text. However, it’s gotten a bit too small for comfort with modern American comics which usually have smaller text.

If I were still in my twenties with better eyesight, I reckon I would’ve been more than fine with the iPad mini.

If you have the Air 3/4/5 or Pro 10/11 and view the full page (fit to screen) in landscape mode, that’s around the same physical size of the page on the 7.9” iPad mini 5.

The 8.3” iPad mini 6 is a bit taller and matches the aspect ratio of modern comics better so images on that will be bigger.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I get that. Unlike my iPhone mini, there is no ”grandpa mode” zoomed display resolution to switch to, so one must adjust the text size for individual apps. But most system elements remain tiny. It feels like using an 11” iPad about 24” farther away than normal.

But Apple Books in portrait mode with text set appropriately is great.* And I do like that Safari can keep track of different text sizes for different sites.

*Edit: but to be fair, Apple Books in 2-page landscape mode on an 11” is also great.
Settings —> Accessibility —> Display & Text Size. Then turn on “Larger Text” and use the scroll bar to select text size. This will set font size in every app that respects this setting.

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
I am using a 11" iPad pro and I tried the mini for one week. I have previously used the mini 1,2 and 4 and have loved the small form factor. However, I think the aspect ratio of the screen is much worse than prev gen ipads. The screen refresh rate is very noticeable and makes it feel so much sluggish than the 11" IPP. I sent it back.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
I sure hope so. The Mini 6 desperately needs more RAM too.
Yeah... 4GB ram doesn't cut it much in these days where apps hog a lot of ram for... stuff. 8GB is a good balance between "not enough" and "i don't need this much" for me... But some people can't live without 16GB, so it should be upgraded to at least 8.

Reactions: rui no onna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.