Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Hello all,

So for Christmas the wife surprised me with tickets to a Yankee vs. Boston game at Fenway Park! So we plan on doing a week there with at least a day or two in Salem. The game is on Friday night. So having said that. Anybody here who want to make some recommendation on where to go, where to eat, what to see?!?!

A few places that are already on our list are:

Sam Adams Brewery Tour
Boston Library

That is all we got right now! We love museums, historical sites, beer ( :D ) , and of course beer! Would love to see some of the irish pubs and if possible a few other brew houses.......

Thanks in advance!

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Harpoon Brewery is far better than Sam Adams IMO. They have a German-style beer hall inside too

Here's some random stuff off the top of my head

Freedom Trail, USS Constitution, Paul Revere House, Old North Church, Bell In Hand (America's Oldest Tavern), Union Oyster House (America's oldest restaurant), MFA, ICA

If you have any specifics you want to see? Types of food you want to try? What kind of bars do you want to visit?

I'm happy to help!

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Harpoon Brewery is far better than Sam Adams IMO. They have a German-style beer hall inside too

Here's some random stuff off the top of my head

Freedom Trail, USS Constitution, Paul Revere House, Old North Church, Bell In Hand (America's Oldest Tavern), Union Oyster House (America's oldest restaurant), MFA, ICA

If you have any specifics you want to see? Types of food you want to try? What kind of bars do you want to visit?

I'm happy to help!

Thank you very much.

Harpoon Brewery - Added it to our todo/see list!
Bell In Hand - Added

Food - The wife would like to try a really good clam chowder and steak house.
Food - Me pretty much anything American. Pizza, burgers, and steaks.
Both - Beer. Would like to check out some of the other older irish pubs.

We are also doing a night or two in Salem. So if there are any specific tours or places that are a must go to in Salem would be great!

Getting around? Does Boston have a good rail system? We will be renting a car since we plan on driving out of the town, but if we can get around using public transportation or good ole walking around.

We are in the very beginning stages and have not done a lot of research on this. There were a ton of ideas thrown out to me in my San Francisco trip that I thought I would try here first to get some ideas!

Thank you again.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Getting around? Does Boston have a good rail system?
Boston is a small city, you can probably do most of your sight seeing by walking. The MBTA is much maligned but it works, so you should be ok.

Other things to do:
Duck tours
Freedom trail
North end (great Italian food)
Whale watching or Codzilla
Harbor cruises such as the Odyssey or Spirt of Boston.
Museums - Museum of Fine Arts and/or the Science Museum.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Boston is a small city, you can probably do most of your sight seeing by walking. The MBTA is much maligned but it works, so you should be ok.

Other things to do:
Duck tours
Freedom trail
North end (great Italian food)
Whale watching or Codzilla
Harbor cruises such as the Odyssey or Spirt of Boston.
Museums - Museum of Fine Arts and/or the Science Museum.

This makes two people who have mentioned the "Freedom Trail". Looks like that is on the todo/see list also! Thank you very much.

I found a few websites that list a lot of restaurants in the north end. A lot. Anyone in particular you can recommend?

http://www.northendboston.com/eat/restaurants/

Thank you again re: suggestions and info on the MBTA......

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I found a few websites that list a lot of restaurants in the north end. A lot. Anyone in particular you can recommend?

http://www.northendboston.com/eat/restaurants/

Thank you again re: suggestions and info on the MBTA......
MBTA is all over the place, especially if it's snowing. They stop running after 1230ish, so worst case, you'll have to take an Uber/Lyft back to the hotel.

In the North End

-Galleria Umberto: hole in the wall pizza place, but the Sicilian slices are amazing
-Trattoria di Monica
-Strega Ristorante
-Paulis: Buffalo mac and cheese! the subs are delicious too.
-Neptune Oyster House
-Bova's Bakery: 24/7 Italian bakery in the north end

Last edited:
Reactions: rhett7660

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Food - The wife would like to try a really good clam chowder and steak house.
Food - Me pretty much anything American. Pizza, burgers, and steaks.
Both - Beer. Would like to check out some of the other older irish pubs.

We are also doing a night or two in Salem. So if there are any specific tours or places that are a must go to in Salem would be great!
Haven't been to Salem in years. Sorry :(

Clam Chowder: Neptune Oyster, Summer Shack, James Hook & Co, Ned Devines

Steak: I'm not too big on steak, but here goes - Moo, Grill 23, Boston Chops, Smith & Wollensky

Burgers: Boston Burger Company is my favorite, Tasty Burger (right in Fenway) http://www.bostonmagazine.com/2012/06/boston-burger-best-burgers-boston/2/

Irish Pubs: Henneseys (next door to bell in hand), Landsdowne (by Fenway), McGreevy’s, Lir, McGanns, Paddy Os

Saus: This is a few doors down from Bell in Hand. Best Belgian fries in the city.

Cocktails: You should check out Drink in Seaport. Probably the best cocktail bar in the city. Tell the bar tenders what you like, and they'll make something. They do have a craft beer menu, but no drink menu. It's all tailored to you.

Getting around? Does Boston have a good rail system? We will be renting a car since we plan on driving out of the town, but if we can get around using public transportation or good ole walking around.
If the weather is decent, you can easily walk around. It's a pretty small city. We do have a rail system, but it doesn't run late anymore. Don't plan on driving around the city. Parking is a PITA.

Last edited:

charlyham

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
Hello all,

So for Christmas the wife surprised me with tickets to a Yankee vs. Boston game at Fenway Park! So we plan on doing a week there with at least a day or two in Salem. The game is on Friday night. So having said that. Anybody here who want to make some recommendation on where to go, where to eat, what to see?!?!

A few places that are already on our list are:

Sam Adams Brewery Tour
Boston Library

That is all we got right now! We love museums, historical sites, beer ( :D ) , and of course beer! Would love to see some of the irish pubs and if possible a few other brew houses.......

Thanks in advance!
If you get to East Boston, try Santarpios Pizza.
http://www.santarpiospizza.com/

Reactions: maflynn

darkgremio

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2011
Jacob Wirth's is pretty good if you like good quality German Food that's also has some history in Boston

Union Oyster house is good, but it's always crowed

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
Boston is a walking town and the public transportation is good.

Don't miss the big Apple Store on Boylston Street across from the Prudential building.

Check out the Museum of Fine Arts on Huntington Ave. And if you're not totally wiped out by that, the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum is in walking distance from the MFA.

The best seafood in the city is Legal Seafoods. It's also pricy. Less expensive is the No-Name restaurant on the Fish Pier.

The Black Rose on State Street is a famous and popular Irish Pub. (It's also right on the Freedom Trail.) But you'll have a hard time throwing a rock without hitting a decent pub.

The Constitution is currently in dry dock for major repairs, and it won't be back in the water until 2018.

If you're coming in the summer, see the Harbor Islands. There's a ferry from near Long Wharf. It's a great trip, and the old fortifications on George's Island are particularly interesting.

Have fun!

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
The best seafood in the city is Legal Seafoods. It's also pricy. Less expensive is the No-Name restaurant on the Fish Pier.

No no no! Suggesting Legal would be the equivalent of going to NYC to go eat Applebee's

There are far better seafood places in the city that cost about the same as Legal.

Neptune Oyster
Atlantic Fish
The Daily Catch

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Boston is a walking town and the public transportation is good.

Don't miss the big Apple Store on Boylston Street across from the Prudential building.

Check out the Museum of Fine Arts on Huntington Ave. And if you're not totally wiped out by that, the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum is in walking distance from the MFA.

The Black Rose on State Street is a famous and popular Irish Pub. (It's also right on the Freedom Trail.) But you'll have a hard time throwing a rock without hitting a decent pub.

The Constitution is currently in dry dock for major repairs, and it won't be back in the water until 2018.

If you're coming in the summer, see the Harbor Islands. There's a ferry from near Long Wharf. It's a great trip, and the old fortifications on George's Island are particularly interesting.

Have fun!

I would advise against both of those seafood restaurants. Legal Seafood is a chain and quite frankly while the food is good and solid, its not great. As self proclaimed Clam Chowder connoisseur, I don't think their CC is anything to rave about (You can buy it in the grocery store too). No-name is terrible!!! 500+ reviews on Yelp can back me up on that one.

Don't take my curt response as rude or snobbish. I'm just getting to the point. Food is of course subjective.

For good Seafood IMO- Atlantic Fish Co. on Bolyston St. In Copley is great (or Abe and Louis steakhouse, their sister company down the block that has some of the same items). AFC has outdoor seating too if you're here in the summer. If you're looking for something very high class I would suggest Ostra. Neptune (North End) and Island Creek Oyster Bars (Kenmore) have great food, but Neptune is small, crowded, and had poor seating.

There is another Restuarant I cannot think of the name ATM, ill have to get back on that one.

If you want amazing seafood take a trip to the Matunick Oyster Bar in Matunick, Rhode Island. It's a drive but well worth it. The prices are very reasonable. This place is so popular they have to hire cops year round for dinner to assist with the traffic.

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
I would advise against both of those seafood restaurants. Legal Seafood is a chain and quite frankly while the food is good and solid, its not great. As self proclaimed Clam Chowder connoisseur, I don't think their CC is anything to rave about (You can buy it in the grocery store too). No-name is terrible!!! 500+ reviews on Yelp can back me up on that one.

Don't take my curt response as rude or snobbish. I'm just getting to the point. Food is of course subjective.

For good Seafood IMO- Atlantic Fish Co. on Bolyston St. In Copley is great (or Abe and Louis steakhouse, their sister company down the block that has some of the same items). AFC has outdoor seating too if you're here in the summer. If you're looking for something very high class I would suggest Ostra. Neptune (North End) and Island Creek Oyster Bars (Kenmore) have great food, but Neptune is small, crowded, and had poor seating.

There is another Restuarant I cannot think of the name ATM, ill have to get back on that one.

If you want amazing seafood take a trip to the Matunick Oyster Bar in Matunick, Rhode Island. It's a drive but well worth it. The prices are very reasonable. This place is so popular they have to hire cops year round for dinner to assist with the traffic.

I confess, it has been years since I've dined at either, but I've never had a bad piece of fish at Legal. Then again, I remember Legal when it was a little white-tiled place in Inman Square, Cambridge with picnic tables and the menu on a chalk board. I also remember the No-Name when it was picnic-table seating.

Nowadays I'd advise you to take a trip down to Cape Cod and visit the Brewster Fish House, but that might be a bit out of your way... :)

Reactions: A.Goldberg

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod

Is the Daily Catch in the North End still there? AKA the Calamari Cafe?

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
There's three of them now. North End, Seaport, and Brookline.

I've only ever been to the Brookline one. Fantastic place!
The North End one was tiny - we were practically in the kitchen - but the squid was great. The calamari puttanesca over squid-ink pasta was particularly memorable.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Thank you very very very much! This is awesome!!!!!

We will be going the last week of April, so I hope there is no snow!!!! EEK!

This is great, thank you all for helping us with this!

Last edited:

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Is the Daily Catch in the North End still there? AKA the Calamari Cafe?

Yes, that's the one I was thinking about- The Daily Catch. It's on Hanover St in the North End, just by Strega (Strega is Italian but has amazing Shrimp Fra Diavlo btw). Daily Catch was great though and the North End is fun.

One thing about Boston is there aren't a lot of waterfront choices if you want the full seafood ambiance. LSF at the seaport I believe has some view. There is also the Charthouse nearby, which isn't strictly seafood but has a bit and *kinda* has scenic views in addition to being in a really cool building. I've heard some negative things about. When I ate there last I thought it was good as did the other members of my party.

To me, Legal Seafood is kinda like the Cheesecake Factory only not quite as confused in concept. LSF tries to be fancy but can't be when they stick themselves in a mall (i.e Prudential Center, Chestnut Hill Mall). People get dressed up to go in, while other people walk in causally dressed from the mall. At least they don't have advertisements for cheap luxury items (i.e. Carnival Cruises) in their menu like Cheesecake Factory :rolleyes:

Great suggestions with the Museum of Fine Arts and Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. I second both. The MFA is free after 4:30 on Wednesdays and used to be free if you had a Bank of America card - I'm not sure if they still do the latter. The Longwood Medical Area is right near the the ISGM, I suggest taking a spin around the block- many of the top hospitals in the world are all right there and people come from around the world to get treatment there. I think there is a tour that talks about the significant contributions that have been made to science/medicine. Harvard Medical School is in the LMA too, it's a beautiful sight.

The aquarium is a lot of fun. The science museum and amphibious DuckBoat tours are great for kids. The Harvard Aboretum is gorgeous (Spring-Fall Obviously). If you like history, there is the Freedom trail, which includes Paul Reveres house, etc.

The MBTA subway system can be an adventure in itself for those unfamiliar. Get yourself a Charlie Card (free reusable plastic RF card) if you can to save money. The Charlie a Ticket the machines spit out cost more unnecessarily. You can get an unlimited pass for $19 for a week- per person of course (or something crazy like 11$ for a single day).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Legal Seafood is kinda like the Cheesecake Factory
I don't care for Legal Seafood. I found it over priced and for what you get, its really no different. In fact you can get better seafood from other non-chain type restaurants.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
To me, Legal Seafood is kinda like the Cheesecake Factory only not quite as confused in concept. LSF tries to be fancy but can't be when they stick themselves in a mall (i.e Prudential Center, Chestnut Hill Mall). People get dressed up to go in, while other people walk in causally dressed from the mall.

People dress up to go to Legals? o_O :D

That reminds me of Top of the Hub. Half of the patrons are dressed up for dinner, and then the other half are just tourists who go there for the view. (It is beautiful at night though)

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Not sure if you're a Wahlburg fan or into tourist traps, but the original Wahlburgers restaurant as well as the higher-end Alma Nove manned by chef Paul Wahlburg are solid options. The latter of which honestly does seem good beyond being famous for the family name.

Let me know if you go, you have a decent chance of running into one of the Wahlburgs or at least their mother.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Not sure if you're a Wahlburg fan or into tourist traps, but the original Wahlburgers restaurant as well as the higher-end Alma Nove manned by chef Paul Wahlburg are solid options. The latter of which honestly does seem good beyond being famous for the family name.

Let me know if you go, you have a decent chance of running into one of the Wahlburgs or at least their mother.

Well, if I tell the wife about this, there is a good chance we will go! :eek: I have not watched the show, so I was unaware they are in the area.

Reactions: MICHAELSD

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
If you're a fan of Top Chef, Tiffani Faison has a great BBQ place called Sweet Cheeks on Boylston St. near Fenway. She's also opening a new Asian-themed restaurant down the street called Tiger Mama's.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
If you're a fan of Top Chef, Tiffani Faison has a great BBQ place called Sweet Cheeks on Boylston St. near Fenway. She's also opening a new Asian-themed restaurant down the street called Tiger Mama's.
Sweet Cheeks is the best BBQ in the city. Pitstop BBQ in Mattapan is worth the drive though. Fantastic brisket.

I tried Tiger Mamas a few weeks ago during their soft-launch. The food was decent, but it's Asian-style tapas. Incredibly overpriced. If you can forgo the fancy environment, there's much better Asian food around Boston for cheaper.

Another suggestion in the Fenway area is Citizen's Public House. Great fish and chips. Fantastic scotch/whiskey/bourbon collection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.