Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Sweet Cheeks is the best BBQ in the city. Pitstop BBQ in Mattapan is worth the drive though. Fantastic brisket.

I tried Tiger Mamas a few weeks ago during their soft-launch. The food was decent, but it's Asian-style tapas. Incredibly overpriced. If you can forgo the fancy environment, there's much better Asian food around Boston for cheaper.

Another suggestion in the Fenway area is Citizen's Public House. Great fish and chips. Fantastic scotch/whiskey/bourbon collection.

Outstanding! Thank you!!!!!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not sure if its been mentioned, but if you have time to kill, perhaps a ferry Provincetown on the Cape.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
If you want beer, skip Sam and Harpoon and check out Trillium. They make some of the best local beer in the state. Boston Beer Works has some decent beers sometimes too, and one of their locations is right by Fenway.

Reactions: rhett7660

td1439

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Boston-ish
A good restaurant resource is the Phantom Gourmet. They do reviews of restaurants and pubs all over New England, and you can find some great hidden gems via their site. Their ratings are pretty solid as well.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
If you want beer, skip Sam and Harpoon and check out Trillium. They make some of the best local beer in the state. Boston Beer Works has some decent beers sometimes too, and one of their locations is right by Fenway.

Awesome! I do want to do Sam Adams though. Mainly, since they were one of the first beers I drank and actually liked. Having said that though, Trillium is now on the list!!!!!

A good restaurant resource is the Phantom Gourmet. They do reviews of restaurants and pubs all over New England, and you can find some great hidden gems via their site. Their ratings are pretty solid as well.

Excellent. Thank you! How would you rate them to say Yelp?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
FYI, there's a Boston Beer Works across the street from Fenway, so you may be able to kill two birds with one stone.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
FYI, there's a Boston Beer Works across the street from Fenway, so you may be able to kill two birds with one stone.
Please don't go to BBW expecting fantastic food and drink. That place is mediocre. Burgers aren't that great and their own beer isn't noteworthy at all. I'd much rather go to Tasty Burger, instead of BBW

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
X2 on Trillium.

td1439

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Boston-ish
Excellent. Thank you! How would you rate them to say Yelp?

Phantom doesn't appear to have a customer review forum like Yelp, so it's not a bad idea to double-check their impressions with what customers are saying. The other possible drawback is that they don't have reviews of every restaurant in the greater Boston area (although they are pretty close).

I will say that that their reviews are pretty trustworthy. They used to rate restaurants on a 1-100 scale based on 10 categories. My wife and I decided to splurge one year for our anniversary and eat at a place called Radius (now closed), which had received a 96 or 97 from them and was the highest-rated restaurant they had ever reviewed. The experience didn't disappoint, even with a hefty price tag. Other places they have been positive about have yielded similar good experiences.

Please don't go to BBW expecting fantastic food and drink. That place is mediocre. Burgers aren't that great and their own beer isn't noteworthy at all. I'd much rather go to Tasty Burger, instead of BBW

Agreed. BeerWorks is actually a small chain, and they simply change the name of their beers depending on the town which that specific franchise is in. Both the food and the beer are decent but not something you couldn't get in a lot of other places.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Agreed. BeerWorks is actually a small chain, and they simply change the name of their beers depending on the town which that specific franchise is in. Both the food and the beer are decent but not something you couldn't get in a lot of other places.

Pretty much. The food isn't that great, but it's not a bad spot to grab a quick beer before the game. At least they have a decent variety, where it seems like half the bars near Fenway have nothing but Bud and Coors crap.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Just wanted to pop in and say thank you for all the recommendations!!! We had an absolute blast! Even though the weather was a little cold for us southern Cali folks it was still a blast.

Did Fenway Park. Saw the Yanks lose to those Bean town folks. But we did spend about eight hours in the bleacher bar, which was amazing!

We unfortunately did not make it to any breweries. Are only free day was Monday and Trillium was closed on Monday. However we did hit the following locations:

Omni Hotel/Parker Restaurant - Boston Cream Pie
Wheelhouse (Awesome breakfast sandwich)
Thinking Cup
Flour Baker + Cafe
Cheers (Beacon St)
Bell in Hand
Mr. Dooley’s Boston
The Black Rose
O'Leary's

Sweet Cheeks BBQ (Spot on, this place was really good)
Walhburgs (Just for a drink and picture)
Rustic Kitchen
Longboards Restaurant (Salem, awesome tater tots!)
Tavern on the Green (Salem)
Eventide Oyster (Portland Maine)
The Robinson Ale House (Red Bank NJ)
Salem Beer Works

Countless stores and shops and even made it to the "Secret Stash" in NJ! Even though the weather was cold outside had a nice cold one while in Fenway park also!

Did the Freedom Trail Tour, Ghost Tour in Salem, walked Boston Commons Park including the frog park. Sadly no frogs were seen!

It was one of our better trips! Loved it and actually want to go back because there were a few things we didn't get to see but wanted to!!!!

Again thank you all for the tips and suggestions!!!!!!!!

Reactions: A.Goldberg

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Just wanted to pop in and say thank you for all the recommendations!!! We had an absolute blast! Even though the weather was a little cold for us southern Cali folks it was still a blast.

Did Fenway Park. Saw the Yanks lose to those Bean town folks. But we did spend about eight hours in the bleacher bar, which was amazing!

We unfortunately did not make it to any breweries. Are only free day was Monday and Trillium was closed on Monday. However we did hit the following locations:

Omni Hotel/Parker Restaurant - Boston Cream Pie
Wheelhouse (Awesome breakfast sandwich)
Thinking Cup
Flour Baker + Cafe
Cheers (Beacon St)
Bell in Hand
Mr. Dooley’s Boston
The Black Rose
O'Leary's
Sweet Cheeks BBQ (Spot on, this place was really good)
Walhburgs (Just for a drink and picture)
Rustic Kitchen
Longboards Restaurant (Salem, awesome tater tots!)
Tavern on the Green (Salem)
Eventide Oyster (Portland Maine)
The Robinson Ale House (Red Bank NJ)
Salem Beer Works

Countless stores and shops and even made it to the "Secret Stash" in NJ! Even though the weather was cold outside had a nice cold one while in Fenway park also!

Did the Freedom Trail Tour, Ghost Tour in Salem, walked Boston Commons Park including the frog park. Sadly no frogs were seen!

It was one of our better trips! Loved it and actually want to go back because there were a few things we didn't get to see but wanted to!!!!

Again thank you all for the tips and suggestions!!!!!!!!

Glad you had a nice trip. The whether has been a little erratic lately- welcome to New England ;)

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
That was the only thing that wasn't good. Most of the days were good, sometimes a little cold, but man once the rain set in.... :eek::eek:
Last year around this time, it was almost always 65-70F. Hell, one year ago from this coming weekend, I distinctly remember being at my friend's graduation and it was like 85+F.

kryten42

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
In a little world of my own
Glad you had a great time.

Yeah the weather has been horrible here in Boston. Something we typically see in March, not May.
But as they always say here, if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes :D Was in the low 30's last night, going to be in the 70's the rest of the week! It needs to hurry up and stay in the 70's and 80's so I can open the pool!

Glad the OP had a great time, Boston is a fun place to visit for sure and seems most good things were covered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.