Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lesliegolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Southern California
Did you download it yet, I don't see any reviews.

I did. I just do not want to post a review till I actually use it. Some courses I play are not on the list. Have you tinkered with course mapping yet?

Hoping the weather is on my side so I can test this out tomorrow.

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
I did. I just do not want to post a review till I actually use it. Some courses I play are not on the list. Have you tinkered with course mapping yet?

Hoping the weather is on my side so I can test this out tomorrow.

Mapping is easy...if you have patients. You just have to download Google Earth(free) and follow the directions on their site. If you're new to Google Earth it might take you a couple hours to do all 18 but the good thing is it's a one time job and then you can use it when ever. I give props to the Golftraxx guys for making it that easy and they're pretty quick at actually getting the course up within a few days(I guess they verify all the courses)

lesliegolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Southern California
Just mapped a course. Really is not that bad.

Made me realize that I am depending on someone else for reliable yardage when they created their files.

I wonder how they handle updating files. Lets say I play a course and only the greens are marked. I wonder if they would send me the file to add hazards, bunkers, etc. to edit and send back to them.

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Just mapped a course. Really is not that bad.

Made me realize that I am depending on someone else for reliable yardage when they created their files.

I wonder how they handle updating files. Lets say I play a course and only the greens are marked. I wonder if they would send me the file to add hazards, bunkers, etc. to edit and send back to them.

I don't think do on the update, interesting thought though. I was told that a human reviews all the courses to make sure they are accurate so that's a little reassuring that the numbers will be somewhat accurate.

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Just heard from GolfTraxx. We could either tell them what is missing or they can send us the file for fixing.

I would imagine that if there was an update you could just delete the course and re-download it too.

GolfTraxx

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
SF Bay Area
Wow, thanks Leslie for the post...

I'm GB and the COO of GolfTraxx. I'll try to respond to as many of the questions here that I can.

1 - We do in fact review EVERY KML sent to us for accuracy. We will many times add extras that were missed, move locations, etc., when needed.

2 - Yes you are relying on another person's map. No different than any other GPS solution. What makes us different is that we double check the QA, AND we are viewing holes from above. This is significant as course designers purposely use perspective and deception to trick the human eyes on the golf course. Pete Dye and Robert Trent Jones Jr. are masters at this. We remove this as much as possible and just give the data.

3 - A basic map of a course you know should only take 30 minutes MAX the first time. Going back and doing the extras should take another 30, that is it. If you have issues send us a note and we will help you out.

4 - The blog is updated every two week with new and updated courses. As the volume goes up, we (I) will post weekly or even daily. If you want a real-time update, just ask when you send it it. :cool:

Best regards,

gb

lesliegolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Southern California
Did you get a chance to go out and try it out?

Sadly, I am sick today! Spent part of it mapping a course and the other part complaining internally about not golfing.

I have found a few of my courses are listed under different zip codes on the golftraxx website than whats on google, so, before you run off and map, make sure you visit http://www.golftraxx.com and check to see if your course is listed.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Help

OK d/led app, my course was downloadable, so far great. Set up player and stepped up to first tee. launched app, selected course and player, then start round. Said updating location......waited nothing then said cannot update location. Location service was ON, i checked with the built in mapping program and my location was found perfectly. Why will the app not find my location????

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
OK d/led app, my course was downloadable, so far great. Set up player and stepped up to first tee. launched app, selected course and player, then start round. Said updating location......waited nothing then said cannot update location. Location service was ON, i checked with the built in mapping program and my location was found perfectly. Why will the app not find my location????

Did you see the longitude/latitude on the bottom of the screen? Did you try pressing the GPS button again to see if that helped?

ShutterBugSteve

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008

I'm getting the same problem. I tried hitting the GPS button to no avail. I did not see any coordinates at the bottom of the screen.

The strange thing is that I wanted to test GolfTraxx against Greenfinder. Greenfinder found me with no problems. GolfTraxx refused to figure out where I was.

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
That's odd, I wonder if it has something to do with the course. Are you guy's doing it inside, I just tried it on my couch and it works fine besides I'm an hour away from the course so the distance is way off :)

Attachments

• golftraxx.jpg
    golftraxx.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 101

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
nothing

Nothing on the bottom of the screen! Purchased Greenfinder and it worked perfectly and fast as lightning. I guess thats what you get for free........

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Nothing on the bottom of the screen! Purchased Greenfinder and it worked perfectly and fast as lightning. I guess thats what you get for free........

3G, airplane mode off, location servers on? I'm trying to get it to fail on my phone but I can't. :(

ShutterBugSteve

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
3G, airplane mode off, location servers on? I'm trying to get it to fail on my phone but I can't. :(

I've made sure all of the above is correct, reset the phone, reloaded the software and still no dice with this program.

The funny thing about mine, is that the 5 bars on the screen that I assume represent signal strength are all greyed out when I'm in the program. I have 5 bars of service outside of the program, but once I go into the program, I get nothing.

Who knows...

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Same

Steve same here, deleted, reloaded, reset phone, nothing. FYI Greenfinder is absolutly awesome. Works perfectly and very fast on location and very accurate. 34.99 but worth it.......I gave up on this POS.

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Steve same here, deleted, reloaded, reset phone, nothing. FYI Greenfinder is absolutly awesome. Works perfectly and very fast on location and very accurate. 34.99 but worth it.......I gave up on this POS.

For a free app you sure have your panties in a bunch... :D Stop mentional Greenfinder over and over, it makes it look like you're in their pocket.

fifthfloormedia

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2008
Well, enough with the negative already, instead of complaining why don't the people that are having troubles post up what it's doing and more information on their location/courses so it can be fixed. Doesn't that sound a little more productive instead of name calling?

Can I get someone who is having problems to contact me so I can have you try some things out; use ryan@[MY USERNAME].com .I would like you to download the free app "GPS Tracker" and tell me what it says on the page when you open it, especially the 'Sent' time. Thanks.

Bodah

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
I couldn't get it to locate me either yesterday. Granted I wasn't at a course, I was standing on my deck, but I gave up after 10 minutes. Google maps located me right away. Tonight I will get GPS Tracker and post that info for you. I don't get any GPS in the basement of my office building, so it will have to wait till later.

fifthfloormedia

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2008
I've never seen this issue(unless I turn on airplane mode) and I've tried it on five phones so I'm going to need some input to fix it. The only guess I have now is there is a condition in the code that it doesn't use locations older than five seconds and unless the GPS is updated it wont get new locations.

Well, why does it work on other apps? My guess is other apps don't have this check so they pull out any location they can get, this means cached locations. The Location Manager for the iPhone stores you locations so when you start it up it sends back the most recent location; this could be 1 second ago or five hours ago. I've seen this with some other apps that "found me" but it found me miles and miles away because that's where the cached location was. Anyways, if this is the issue then it's a "Feature" not a bug, I just need some more information. That GPS Tracker app has the location time so that should tell me how new your location is when it's not working.

If that's not it then it would be great to work with one or two of you that have the issue to try and resolve it, I can add you as beta testers and send you new code until we nail down the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.