Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lesliegolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Southern California
Mine Says:

We Can't Find You!

We're unable to get your current location. Please make sure you're outside and have a clear view of the sky.

I ran Loopt and Maps and it found me.

Not sure what is up with the software. Happy to help if I can.

fifthfloormedia

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2008
Mine Says:

We Can't Find You!

We're unable to get your current location. Please make sure you're outside and have a clear view of the sky.

I ran Loopt and Maps and it found me.

Not sure what is up with the software. Happy to help if I can.

Thanks Leslie, if you're willing to help can you please email me at ryan@fifthfloormedia.com(I can't PM on here yet). I would be interested in changing some things around and sending you a new version to see if things change. Thanks.

laltshul

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2008
Golftraxx cannot locate me

Same problem for me. It will not locate me. I am outside, with all options activated. Two other golf apps on iphone work fine. I like free apps because it gives you a chance to test. If you like it then you can pay. Also the website has no contact information to report the problem. I know that the COO has posted, perhaps he can address.

fifthfloormedia

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2008
Excellent, thanks guys/gals, with the input you guys sent in I was able to figure out what's going on.

So, what is happening is some of the courses don't have GPS data but they have the score cards so they show up in the download list. If you download a course that does not have GPS data it can't calculate the distances thus you never get a location(maybe I need to change the wording too). This can be solved a couple ways, I'm working on a patch now that will not allow you to download courses without data but ideally the course should be mapped. So, if you want to play on your course and you're getting this error it means it does not have data yet. If you want to use this app with that course you will need to map the course or wait for someone else to map it. It's pretty easy to map a course and it only has to be done once so it's worth it.

Check out

http://pdazip.com/MappingCourses.pdf AND
http://pdazip.com/MappingExtras.pdf

to learn how to map a course.

Please feel free to post any bugs or issues you find here, I will take all feedback into consideration for the next release.

Bodah

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Another suggestion I have is to make the courses searchable by near zip code. I didn't know the ZIPs of any area course, and had to look them all up.

Even better would be a search by course name or city.

ShutterBugSteve

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
Is there a way for us to tell which courses have data, and which ones need to be mapped?

From the GolfTraxx website, the courses I've tried seem to be listed, but I can't tell if they have data, or just a scorecard...

lesliegolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Southern California
Yep. Once I found a mapped course it worked.

I am more bummed about all the courses that I now find out are not mapped.

I know its an easy process but it is still time consuming.

Hope to test this out this week at some point. I hear you guys have a really quick turnaround in adding courses.

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Yep. Once I found a mapped course it worked.

I am more bummed about all the courses that I now find out are not mapped.

I know its an easy process but it is still time consuming.

Hope to test this out this week at some point. I hear you guys have a really quick turnaround in adding courses.

Leslie, don't quote me on this because I don't work for Golftraxx but it's my understanding that Golftraxx understands the importance of mapping as many courses as possible as soon as possible and that's why they made the decision to release the application for free. Personally I would rather take the time and map my own course than pay $35 for another app, not only is it more fun but it puts the control into my hands(I like that and I like free things). Some people might not want to map their course and that's understandable, I think Golftraxx has a team mapping courses or if people don't want to map them maybe than can bride someone who does to do it for them. :)

iSimon

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2008
Glasgow
Am I right in thinking this doesn't work for the UK? I downloaded it from the UK app store and fired it up but the only way it appeared I could search was by zip code, and using uk postal codes simply told me that no nearby courses could be found.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.