Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sevvere

Suspended
Oct 20, 2017
Wired virtue signals for the king of virtue signaling companies, Apple

Status quo

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
Surface Pro is the only one that could potentially pull that off IMO. I personally don't care for it and would rather have a real laptop, but the iPad Pro? Cmon. For some users it might work, but I prefer a full desktop-like OS.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Drinks all around! (Tries to fasten party hat to iPP)

Dilly Dilly!!

The other day I tried to see if Ink was still on my MacBook Pro and sure enough it was there. Usually Apple would remove apps when they introduce something else. I'm glad that I can still write on my Mac via Ink :) ....I can see the iPad Pro in the category of a laptop.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I do like my iPad pro particularly now that I have the Smart Keyboard. Apple do market it as a laptop replacement.

Table Top Joe

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2016
Love my 12.9 iPad Pro, its my favourite Apple Device no question......but,this is ridiculous, it is not a Laptop, it may be a laptop replacement for many (I have no doubt it is, there are people out there with MacBook Pros who could probably get by with a Chrome book for all they do with it) but that doesn't make it equal to a laptop

Seriously how much money and/or goodies did Wired get from Apple for this nonsense?

Reactions: mk313

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
For me it works well, I luv IOS the apps are great. All I do is surf the net , watch TV, & football games.
I can watch a ball game on my IPad while my wife watches Hallmark channel (yuk) on the big screen. I have other laptops I can use if needed.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
For me it works well, I luv IOS the apps are great. All I do is surf the net , watch TV, & football games.
I can watch a ball game on my IPad while my wife watches Hallmark channel (yuk) on the big screen. I have other laptops I can use if needed.
My husband is the one that hogs the TV in our house. However yes I like having my iPad because I get to watch what I want too.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I get Wired’s point but it’s a bit silly. Apparently Wired named the iPad Pro the Laptop of the Year 2017. Good product but not an Apple laptop...

https://www.wired.com/story/gear-of-the-year-2017/amp?__twitter_impression=true
The whole article reads like a promotional ad. I don't even get Wired's point. The last line for the iPad Pro makes an already very weak argument downright laughable...

"All you need to add to the base configuration is a good keyboard."

An iPad Pro without a keyboard is just a tablet. Out-of-the-box it isn't a laptop. No amount of squinting will make it look like one. You'd have to close your eyes completely and imagine that it's a laptop. If Apple sold the iPad Pro with the keyboard and Pencil, THEN I could see them making a case for the Pro being a laptop. (I wouldn't agree, but it would be worth discussing).

I LOVE my 12.9 iPad Pro, but my Lenovo Yoga Book is far closer to a laptop than it is.

Reactions: jeremiah256
This whole thing is ridiculous.

1) iPad is NOT a laptop
2) iPad a tablet which is contained in the larger "portable computing device" (or some similar nomenclature) genre
3) Wired has no category for tablet or "portable computing device"
4) Wired should have simply called the category portable computing device and be done with it

The reasons for differentiating between laptops and tablets and blurring, especially in the windows ecosystem with so many of the mid-to-up ranged class of devices having some sort of combination of the 2. The fact is when the average person says "I need a laptop" what they mean is they need a portable computer and often times a tablet would be the best option for them.

I think it's reasonable for iPad to win as portable computer of the year. Hands down I would recommend an iPad over any MacBook to an average person (meaning I would start with iPad as the baseline and based on the individuals needs would determine if they would be better suited by a MacBook). However, I'm so disenchanted by the MacBook line that I'd really have to be convinced that it'd be the best option. I'd probably recommend a chromebook or windows laptop before a MacBook...

Reactions: jeremiah256
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.