Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
I’ve been using a 12.9” iPad Pro (instead of a laptop) for about two years now.

Most of the time, I use Microsoft Office 365 (although started off with Google Apps), Safari, Mail, Calendar, Zoom, Gotomeeting and Notes. I use Dropbox as my primary file storage.

I can do 99% of what I need without resorting to a Mac or PC. There is some functionality not in iOS PowerPoint around working with master slides where I use Jump Desktop into an ancient Mac Pro to do edits. Also, every now and then there’s some website that won’t work right in Safari nor Chrome iOS.

There is exactly two things that still drive me a bit crazy, and that’s (1) screen-sharing apps don’t really work and (2) lack of multi-monitor support. I have to export to a PDF and share the PDF in screen-sharing apps. External displays work fine, but only as mirroring the screen or very, very limited multi-monitor support such as PowerPoint presenter vs. presentation view.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I agree it’s the best if 2017, and yes it’s not a traditional laptop... but it’s the best hybrid out there. Yeah I call it a hybrid, as you attach it to an external keyboard just like Surface Book and othe hybrid laptops that can be separated.
"best" is a matter of opinion. For example, in my opinion, as a fan of the iPad Pro, it isn't the best hybrid out there. It isn't even a hybrid to begin with. It takes more than a dedicated keyboard connector to make a device a hybrid.

Saskat

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2017
"best" is a matter of opinion. For example, in my opinion, as a fan of the iPad Pro, it isn't the best hybrid out there. It isn't even a hybrid to begin with. It takes more than a dedicated keyboard connector to make a device a hybrid.

In your opinion which product is a good hybrid? I received a Surface Pro 4 as a gift but I do not like the keyboard, and am presently contemplating returning it and getting a Lenovo Yoga or Flex.

Last edited:

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
The Definition of a laptop is a portable computer suitable for traveling. So in definition terms the iPad is a laptop. :) Right now I have my iPad on my lap and later will be traveling with it lol.

batrush

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2017
It certainly is. I don't see myself going back to a traditional laptop ever again.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Yes it is a matter of opinion, so I’ll agree there, but I’ll back up and not call it a hybrid. I will instead say it’s the best computer of 2017. An iPad is a tablet which in definition IS a computer (just like a calculator.) It’s only my opinion now that it’s the “best computer.” A full OS, keyboard, and mouse do not a computer make. ;)

Kal.

Sunshoopa

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2011
I don’t have a laptop, so it is a “laptop” for me. I would own a laptop if the iPad didn’t exist so I guess that counts? For big stuff I use my self built desktop.

Reactions: DoubleFlyaway
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.