Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JVE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2023
Hello. I'm looking for recommendations of a program to burn Blu-rays.

I want to be able to rip all content of a Blu-ray (not just the feature movie, but all extra features as well) into my iMac, and then burn it all onto a blank Blu-ray (so I will be able to watch the burned copy on a Blu-ray player as if it were the original Blu-ray - with all extra features). Can anyone recommend a good program for the burning here?

I will only use this in Fair Use. I already have an external Blu-ray Drive (to read & write Blu-rays). I already have the program Toast (to burn content from my iMac onto a Blu-ray). But what program should I get to rip the original Blu-ray? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

JVE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2023
I already have both those programs, but I have not been satisfied with MakeMKV. My experience has been: when I rip everything with MKV and put it on another Blu-ray, that Blu-Ray comes out with different features scattered all over the place. I can't access a main menu. Simply put, the burned Blu-ray does not play identically to the original.

Unless you can tell me the above should not be, then I would ask: Is there a better program you can recommend? I'm happy to pay for a program (it doesn't need to be a free one).

I'll mention: I use MacTheRipper for ripping DVDs, and I consider that program to be perfect. But that only works for DVDs, and not Blu-rays.

JVE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2023
If nobody here can recommend a better program, then can anyone recommend another online forum which I could go to and try asking if anyone there has a recommendation? Thanks.

Reactions: markphil1424

markphil1424

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2015
OH, USA
Similar situation here, have a trial version of MakeMKV. All I need is to rip the disc to my NAS, and I can't seem to find the playable file in all of the data.

mystery hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2021
My experience has been: when I rip everything with MKV and put it on another Blu-ray, that Blu-Ray comes out with different features scattered all over the place. I can't access a main menu. Simply put, the burned Blu-ray does not play identically to the original.
When using MakeMKV, are you choosing ’Backup disc’ or ‘Save selected titles’?

JVE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2023
I have been using 'Save selected titles!' That may be the problem. I will try 'Backup disc' today and let you know what happens. Thank you!

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
If you just want a copy on another disc, then why rip it first?

But otherwise I agree, for ripping, MakeMKV is the way to go, as you get a binary copy of your disc.

JVE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2023
I have tried choosing ’Backup disc’ with MakeMKV (as mystery hill suggested), and it still does not work. When I put the burned Blu-ray in a player, it just takes me to a "Media Center" as opposed to the original disc's main menu. The burned copy does not play identically to the original.

JVE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2023
Which application have you used to burn the folder that MakeMKV created to the Blu-ray?
Toast.

And I'll add: on a different iMac, I used MacTheRipper to rip a DVD. I then copied that ripped info to a flashdrive, and transferred it to this iMac (which has MKV & Toast). I then used Toast to burn the info on a DVD, and that DVD came out fine... My point is: This makes me believe the problem is in MakeMKV, and not Toast.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Do you know of another way that I can copy it to another disc (with a Mac), that does not involve ripping?
No, as I have no experience with it. But a quick Google search seems to confirm that there are options to try out. It might require two drives of course. But I would also be surprised if Toast can't do it.
I have tried choosing ’Backup disc’ with MakeMKV (as mystery hill suggested), and it still does not work. When I put the burned Blu-ray in a player, it just takes me to a "Media Center" as opposed to the original disc's main menu. The burned copy does not play identically to the original.
Sounds like you aren't burning the discs in the right format, hence a Toast issue.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
If nobody here can recommend a better program, then can anyone recommend another online forum which I could go to and try asking if anyone there has a recommendation? Thanks.

Did you try MakeMKV's forum?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I used to use the Mac disk utility to copy the disk image onto a hard drive that I would subsequently rip. Faster-more reliable in the long run. But I could also burn that image to a disk. Not sure if toast can burn a blu-ray disk from a disk image.

My experience with MakeMKV (and others) is that it will pull video and image content off the disk but you have to organize that content using an authoring program and manually add menus you put together. If you simply want a copy, an image copy-burn app is what you are looking for.

Last edited:

JVE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2023
It might require two drives of course. But I would also be surprised if Toast can't do it.

I would be happy to buy a second Blu-ray drive. But I have doubts if Toast alone can get past copy protection. I'd need to look into that.

JVE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2023
Did you try MakeMKV's forum?

FYI, I tried setting up an account on that forum, but it said my email address is not valid. I emailed the webmaster to ask why that it. As of right now, I have received no response.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
FYI, I tried setting up an account on that forum, but it said my email address is not valid. I emailed the webmaster to ask why that it. As of right now, I have received no response.
If you need a responds quickly, good just create a throwaway email, such as Google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.