Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
Neverwinter Nights is a pretty vast RPG, and it is available on OS X. It is a very good game, but it was a little much for me to take. I thought I'd beaten the game, and rather the game ending, I found that I'd only beaten the first Act :).

Sauron's Master

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2002
Saratoga, CA / New York, NY
I should add a little more to my request.

Out of the major RPGs, I've played the majority excluding Oblivion. I'm looking for titles in the style of Baldur's Gate II which I thought was most excellent. I recently played Jade Empire and it was excellent as well. Either way, I'm looking for a diversion until some good NWN II modules come out or I find time to get BGII working properly with the user mods I'd like to use.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
And to answer: if you can take the retro look, I find the RPGs of Spiderweb Software are usually more fun and have more interesting stories than most of the big budget stuff.

Seconded - particularly the Avernum games. The graphics may look dated, but the storytelling and sheer size of the games more than makes up for this. I have replayed each of these several times.

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
You'll be hard pressed to find more bang for your buck than the Spiderweb Software games. I tend to prefer the Avernum Series(Blades rocks, pretty much unlimited RPG goodness) but the Geneforge series can hold it's own. Neverwinter Nights is worth a good bout as well, you can sink quite a few hours into that.

Heroes of Might and Magic is out, I've heard mixed things. I don't have the time to sink into it right now(i've got a stack of PS2 and Cube RPGS to hammer) so I won't try it for a while. I didn't think Kult was too bad, least it kept me busy anyway for the price.

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
If you have internet(you posted here didnt you!) theres a couple three Webish RPG time killers I play. They all are pretty decent.

First Star Online is a cheap(or free) MMORPG, its a little one no group stuff really but there's a lot to do and some nice people on there. It's free or you get some extras for a 1 time $25 registration.

Adventure Quest is a cheap(or free) web based RPG that has quite a bit to keep you busy. Again this one is free or you full access for a 1 time $20 registration.

Dragon Fableis the spiritual successor to Adventure Quest. It features an updated engine and a PvP arean. This one is free or a 1 time registration of 20-30 dollars depending on how many charectors you want "upgraded".

I have them all, and I've paid for them all. The hours I've sank into them all ends up being fractions of pennies per hour. All pretty cheap entertainment.

And for a quick 5 minute RPGish fix their is Earth 2025, I'm told it's the reason Al Gore invented the internet.

phantasmagoria

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2006
UK

My favourite game of all time. Only Baldur's Gate I & II come close, but Planescape: Torment is just something else... a fantastic story that's so far above the narrative quality of any other RPG I can think of. I can't recommend this game highly enough.

In fact I'm tempted to go and install it on a Windows 98 Parallels VM right now and play it through for a third, or is it fourth, time!

As far as more modern games go, I really enjoyed Oblivion on the 360. I thought it was a real improvement on Morrowind, which was pretty good itself.

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I saw this thread and my first thought was Chrono Trigger.

I realize it's not for OS X (unless you count through an emulator), but it's possibly the best RPG ever. Definitely one of the few to really hold my interest throughout the entire game.

freeSia

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2007
If you have internet(you posted here didnt you!) theres a couple three Webish RPG time killers I play. They all are pretty decent.

First Star Online is a cheap(or free) MMORPG, its a little one no group stuff really but there's a lot to do and some nice people on there. It's free or you get some extras for a 1 time $25 registration.

Adventure Quest is a cheap(or free) web based RPG that has quite a bit to keep you busy. Again this one is free or you full access for a 1 time $20 registration.

Dragon Fableis the spiritual successor to Adventure Quest. It features an updated engine and a PvP arean. This one is free or a 1 time registration of 20-30 dollars depending on how many charectors you want "upgraded".

I have them all, and I've paid for them all. The hours I've sank into them all ends up being fractions of pennies per hour. All pretty cheap entertainment.

And for a quick 5 minute RPGish fix their is Earth 2025, I'm told it's the reason Al Gore invented the internet.

ooo i lovee these kinda online games ;) ;)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The Spirit Engine is quite good RPG for Windows, but plays quite differently to most standard RPGs.

I'd say either Tales of Symphonia or any Pokemon game.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
I also have to recommend Planescape: Torment. It will run great in Boot Camp or Parallels.

I think it beats the Fallout, Baldurs Gate and KOTOR series. All of these are terrific and come in Mac native versions. The PC versions might be faster in Boot Camp though because of Rosetta.

Story-wise Planescape is way better than Oblivion - although Oblivion is an amazingly immersive technical marvel. I am playing through Oblivion for the second time (first on PC, now on PS3). You will need a MacPro with at least a 1900XT to really enjoy this game.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
But I'm pretty sure only KOTOR 1 is out for Mac

There's no UB patch, and it bearly runs under Rosetta. <----Talking from expierience.

I'd reccomend Final Fantasy VII (yes, there's a PC version). I picked it up brand new and pretty cheap on eBay. It's a classic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.