Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
and if you like oblivion but your machine is not powerful enough perhaps take a look at Gothic I + II can be had for very little but have some quite powerful story but you are equally free to do what you like

or of course the good old morrowind

also Vampires Blood lines is also pretty interesting especially from the setting

and if you can live with hack and slash diablo style: i always liked dungeon siege II .. it's much more focused on story than the first

spiderone

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2007
you can test Dofus,
ok it's a mmorpg but if you like storyline
you will find what you look for.

My pseudo in game: lordus; on Shika server

charmin

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2005
W. London
I should add a little more to my request.

Out of the major RPGs, I've played the majority excluding Oblivion. I'm looking for titles in the style of Baldur's Gate II which I thought was most excellent. I recently played Jade Empire and it was excellent as well. Either way, I'm looking for a diversion until some good NWN II modules come out or I find time to get BGII working properly with the user mods I'd like to use.

Jade Empire is a great game.

The majority of RPGs I've REALLY enjoyed are either console games, or ports of console games. Star Ocean: Til The End Of Time is a game that never became super-popular, but has a million things to do, a fantastic story, and I'd say some replay value (if I had time to replay games like that...)

Obviously FF7, X and XII, and DragonQuest VIII is MAMMOTH (120 hours) but it can get a bit tedious in places.

Xenosaga should be huge given that it comes on 2 or 3 DVDs, but I started a new job halfway through playing it so I never got around to finishing...

On the Mac front, Fable: The Lost Chapters is due in the next few months, and while it doesn't have quite as immersive a story as some of the games mentioned above, it's a good looking action-adventure-RPG.

(But this is coming from someone who got bored of Oblivion after only a few hours)

Clickage

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2007
Why some people should'nt post on forums

Ok the guy who said "no not diabloll or starcraft rpgs" doesnt know what their talking about. Starcraft is a strategy rpg (I highlry eccomend it) about the future and aliens almost detroying humanity etc. If you ever get bored of the campaign it has free online play and a deccent community. also WarCraftlll is a strategy rpg which is pretty much starcraft in midievil time (with a twist). and finnaly DiablOll is solid rpg I dont know how that guy said it was'nt. And baisicly a hero beat the greatest Prime Evil called DiablO and yada yada yada then the comes DiablOll in this the hero is possesed by DiablO and hes out to destroy the world again. And anyway it has an awsome storyline and its an old game but still considering the time it was made its very advanced and is worth buying. Oh and like starcraft and warcraft D2 lets you play online and beat the game with other people if you get bored of the regular game alone and online isof course free.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Ok the guy who said "no not diabloll or starcraft rpgs" doesnt know what their talking about. Starcraft is a strategy rpg (I highlry eccomend it) about the future and aliens almost detroying humanity etc. If you ever get bored of the campaign it has free online play and a deccent community. also WarCraftlll is a strategy rpg which is pretty much starcraft in midievil time (with a twist). and finnaly DiablOll is solid rpg I dont know how that guy said it was'nt. And baisicly a hero beat the greatest Prime Evil called DiablO and yada yada yada then the comes DiablOll in this the hero is possesed by DiablO and hes out to destroy the world again. And anyway it has an awsome storyline and its an old game but still considering the time it was made its very advanced and is worth buying. Oh and like starcraft and warcraft D2 lets you play online and beat the game with other people if you get bored of the regular game alone and online isof course free.

Starcraft is a lot of things, but it's not an RPG.

mahashel

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2005
"the lab"
I'd recommend pretty much any of the Elder Scrolls games.
Oblivion (TES 4) is great, but requires a HOSS of a machine to run at an appreciable resolution.
Morrowind is the previous iteration (TES 3). It is arguably more *fun* to play and runs great on today's hardware, though it looks a lot less crisp due to the era it was released.
Pre-Morrowind (Arena & Daggerfall) are great games, but look pre-historic by today's standards.

emt8q5

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2007
Fallout, Fallout 2, or Arcanum. Arcanum is particularly good with the best soundtrack I have ever heard in a game.

Siemova

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2002
Texas
It hasn't been released quite yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to Eschalon: Book I. I see some of you like Spiderweb games; this should be right up your alley, only it looks even better.

Speaking of Spiderweb: personally, I preferred the original Exile games to their Avernum remakes. Exile III is still probably my favorite of theirs.

aspro

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Hobart, Australia

Let's just get this completely straight.
  • Starcraft and Warcraft are Real Time Strategy games.
  • Diablo is a hack n' slash Role Playing Game.

SupadudeX

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2006
I will add another vote for Planescape Torment. Anyone who has not played this game is doing a diservice to themselves. Best game ever made IMO.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
The way this was posted feels like it belongs to the WoW forum....

Anyway, I recommend Final Fantasy VII as well.

SupadudeX

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2006
Let's just get this completely straight.
  • Starcraft and Warcraft are Real Time Strategy games.
  • Diablo is a hack n' slash Role Playing Game.

Well...we could technically argue that every game is a Role Playing Game... But Id rather not. :)

Zakkk8

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2007
There's no UB patch, and it bearly runs under Rosetta. <----Talking from expierience.

I'd reccomend Final Fantasy VII (yes, there's a PC version). I picked it up brand new and pretty cheap on eBay. It's a classic.

Really? KOTOR ran fine on my Macbook.

Cecily

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2007
Fallout, Fallout 2, or Arcanum. Arcanum is particularly good with the best soundtrack I have ever heard in a game.

Arcanum is a great game and it definately does have a wonderful soundtrack. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.