Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Revnant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
It’s 2018 and the latest iOS 11 update has disabled purchased (from iTunes) ringtones. Yep. You can still buy them of course, you can select them as your preferred ringtone, but they won’t play when calls come in.
One of the dozen tech support people I spoke to regarding this (and a raft of other problems since this latest iOS update) said “Oh yeah. We’re having so many problems. Apple is phasing out ringtones.”
O.K. Apple. It’s 2018 and we do facial recognition but can’t play a ringtone?! What a joke.

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
It’s 2018 and the latest iOS 11 update has disabled purchased (from iTunes) ringtones. Yep. You can still buy them of course, you can select them as your preferred ringtone, but they won’t play when calls come in.
One of the dozen tech support people I spoke to regarding this (and a raft of other problems since this latest iOS update) said “Oh yeah. We’re having so many problems. Apple is phasing out ringtones.”
O.K. Apple. It’s 2018 and we do facial recognition but can’t play a ringtone?! What a joke.
I understand your frustration I can not use my pioneer deck with Bluetooth pre iOS 11 it worked just fine.

Apple broke a lot of ***** in iOS 11, unfortunately 99% of the people here are apologists and don’t give two flying ***** that you are leaving.

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
Running 11.2.5 and no problem here with ringtones and they can still be added using iTunes, purchased or home made.

How?

I don’t have a Tones section on iTunes anymore that I had with about 30 tones cut & trimmed by myself.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
How?

I don’t have a Tones section on iTunes anymore that I had with about 30 tones cut & trimmed by myself.

How I got it to work, locate your tones via file navigator, select all, drag/drop into iTunes. You should get back the "Tones" section for each device.

As for tones not playing, I ran into that issue with iOS 10. If I recall correctly, I created a new version of the tone by copying it, renaming it, then dragging that back into iTunes. Resynced and that tone worked again.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I lost all of my custom ringtones sometime last year but couldn’t tell you when it was since my phone is always on vibrate. Absolutely could not care less.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
You can also load the "business version" of iTUnes (search forums) which will give you an "older version" with apps and ringtones.
Apple really needs to provide some application and ringtone iTunes or other tool support.

The method described a couple of responses above works fine though

RicoRich196

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2011
What are people using to create their own Tones? Garage Band on MacOS? Can Alert tones be created for iMessages and Emails?

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2008
mine are still in my itunes but they are not an option when changing the sounds for text calls etc..

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010

Sure, the site is macRUMORS, and you are entitled to your one little rumor. However, it is a bug that the ringtones don't play.

For me, that particular bug has been about text tones, ring tones work fine. So, my rumor would be something like: goodbye text alert tones.
[doublepost=1517752460][/doublepost]
Most people I know use the standard ringtones on their iPhones. Is using music as a ringtone still a thing?

Sarcasm, right?

Is calling each other still a thing with Facebook and WhatsApp messages? Is giving birth still a thing, going on since Adam and Eve, for God sake. Some things never get old, you see. ;)

Each year, as Christmas nears, it has become a ritual for me to set my iPhone to Christmas ring tones and alert tones for a long, long time. It just feels good, and gets me in the holiday mood even more. Then, I go back to my preferred custom ring and text alert tones sometime in January. No more standard for me, because I found the custom tones that I love.

Last edited:
Reactions: arkitect

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
I use iTunes. Just create the ringtone as per the link above, connect the phone to your computer and drop into the tones bit.

52a6c67583fc390c258bc27c59fcbf5c.jpg

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I was frustrated following the instructions for making/ adding a custom ringtone for half an hour an in the end it said it had copied across but the phone just wouldn't show it up in the list of tones. You'd have thought apple would have made this easier if they aren't offering their own any more - its annoying when you hear one of the default jingles and it could be one of any number of phones.

davidmartindale

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2011
PNW, USA
You'd have thought apple would have made this easier if they aren't offering their own any more

Umm, Apple still has tones on the iTunes Store through iOS devices at the least. I'm not sure about the iTunes Store on Mac/Windows.

Also not hard to create and sync them

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Umm, Apple still has tones on the iTunes Store through iOS devices at the least. I'm not sure about the iTunes Store on Mac/Windows.

Also not hard to create and sync them
According to the OP they're being phased out. No, if it worked I suppose it wouldn't be the end of the world, though it could still be easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.