Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Who knows. I wish all the pansies would stay home for good personally. We all know they can’t drive for .
Is that really a productive and nice thing to say? Come on, let’s keep MR forums a pleasant place to come to. There’s no benefit in attacking people.

Reactions: jerryk and B4U

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Plus a lot of quitting. People are used to working remotely these days. Unless you have to be there to get your job done there’s no reason to go back to the office for 40+ hours a week anymore. There’s a labor shortage right now. Most boomers who left the workforce aren’t coming back which would be a challenge on its own without combining that with going up against competition who allow you to work remotely.

Plenty of us have moved on and aren’t going back to that model. Forward thinking companies that employe all remote workers where possible can pick from the best minds in the world. People who otherwise couldn’t or wouldn’t work for said employers precisely because they can’t relocate for family or other reasons more important than their day job become eligible members of a company’s workforce.
"In the world" gets touchy for anyone who works with sensitive data, but certainly "in the country" (that applies to more than just the US)

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Can we correlate working from home with poor software quality? Then end the WFH.
Correlation doesnt equal causation. Given most pre-COV19 studies found productivity was better with WFH and hybrid approaches, and that most companies did decently well productivity-wise during the pandemic, I'm inclined to wager any declines in productivity came from, you know, living through a global pandemic and not from WFH.

Reactions: jerryk and JM

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I know I won't be going back any time soon. Maybe in a hybrid fashion, but that's about it. That's going to be the future for all devs unless you're Apple (or any company with heavy NDAs and no chance of brining high profile equipment / software back home with you).

Even Apple here in Culver City has openings that specifically say "in person". Totally understandable knowing how secretive they can be.
I read they had rules about taking photos... it must be at some designated desk with a number on it. I know others in similar boats.. they work at companies with proprietary information, and government sites with classified information and equipment.

morningsong

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2010
My company is back 4 days a week and I hate it.
Back to office politics, gossip...all the crappy parts of work you get to avoid at home.
And gas in the tank issues, traffic..
EVERYONE I speak to at my company is miserable back in the office.
Morale was up when everyone WFH, and people tended to 'always be on'.
That ends back in the office, so now people are miserable and working less.
But yay for all the folks who had to work at site the whole time. Hope you like the additional traffic..

Reactions: The Clark and B4U

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Back to office politics, gossip...all the crappy parts of work you get to avoid at home.
But yay for all the folks who had to work at site the whole time. Hope you like the additional traffic..
Time to consider a new employer!

Reactions: swester

StrongArmmed

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2010
Miami, FL
It's a mistake to return to FT in-office work. Not because of COVID so much (we're probably at the endemic stage) but because most entities have shown incredible productivity increases and I surmise that most of that is due to employees not having onerous commutes and being in environments that have allowed them to work comfortably from home. I think most workers should be given the option of WFH or hybrid work. But forcing them back en masse doesn't seem wise, IMHO.

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
Funny concept. People have proven that they are capable of doing a job remote. Companies continue to maintain the office space throughout that time. Once the pandemic is "over" they require everyone to come back. These same companies speak about green initiatives and climate change as a part of their business plans nowadays. With apple they are vowing to go 100% carbon neutral. Anyone up in arms in that management about the millions of people returning back to vehicles spewing CO2 on highways en route to and from the office? Nope.

Aside from this, families will go back to spending less time together, more money on child care, more wasted time spent behind the wheel or on a train, earlier hours to rise and less sleep.

If you are capable of working remotely, and have proven for two years that you can do your job to the same degree you could inside an office, why not continue that status quo? 1 word: control. The office is the bread and butter for micromanagers and HR professionals. Back to someone clamoring for "butts in seats by 8am" and questioning your 5 minutes overrun on the lunch "hour". Back to meetings where you can't multitask and have to sit in the breath of those who are sick but have run out of sick time. Back to the "open office concept" where when one person has a cold, 5 days later the entire row does simply because the company doesn't want to pay for cubes anymore.

Reactions: gleepskip

Stromos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA
My place had the VP of the company repeatedly say how important it is to be able to turn around and ask someone how their vacation was or show them that funny video and be away from her family. She stated this repeatedly in our big town halls.

Literally you're here for executive entertainment.....ok.

Funny thing is I live by myself and I am one of very few people that has literally been in the office almost every day through the whole thing just to have a little human interaction. My commute sucks but being at home all day every day wasn't great for me. Now with everyone back I literally come into the office deal with people both work and social and I start doing work either in office after 5pm or go home and get logged in. The system is so broken at so many levels.

I am seriously starting to consider working a couple days a week from home just to get more work done. Being able to throw in some laundry while hammering out projects would help me greatly vs now when I get home 8-9pm every night and then have the weekend to race around and do everything before it repeats. Even then I would be more productive than being in the office considering I have a 40 minute commute each way and I am doing 5,000 miles every 2-3 months.

My opinion/experience on the whole thing.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Some industries (retail, service, etc) very obviously cannot work from home, the fact that you're even using this logic is astronomically silly. Do better.
Look at her posting history, and you'll see why the inability of 'doing better' is a forgone conclusion..

• Haha
Reactions: bpeeps

Silverstring

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
At this point, everyone should be required to go back to work.

Vaccines work
Masks work

COVID is going to be here forever, so you might as well learn to coexist with it like we did with flu.
Why? Put COVID aside—why would your blanket requirement still make sense for everyone?

I think the discussion has moved past the COVID angle.

Silverstring

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
If true that we still allow working from home in a massive way, productivity increases but development is hurt.
Care to expand on how "development" is hurt?

I'm not saying it is or isn't—just not clear on what you're referring to.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I'm in your exact same situation. It's motivation for me to spend the time looking for higher pay and a job that is completely remote.

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2019
Is that really a productive and nice thing to say? Come on, let’s keep MR forums a pleasant place to come to. There’s no benefit in attacking people.

Sorry but I put my big boy pants on every day through this whole thing to move freight and didn’t complain. Restrictions are being lifted everywhere and some want to question about a return to the office? Wake up it’s time to stop being a little $$!? and get back to life. Sorry but the sympathy train departed long ago.

• Haha
Reactions: JM

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Sorry but I put my big boy pants on every day through this whole thing to move freight and didn’t complain. Restrictions are being lifted everywhere and some want to question about a return to the office? Wake up it’s time to stop being a little $$!? and get back to life. Sorry but the sympathy train departed long ago.
You didn't complain for two years, but now you make big stinky in the forums in your little boy pants. ?

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
6 years ago I applied for a full remote position at Apple.
Many companies have developers in India

Not sure why you have that kind of attitude. How is "working from home" equal "being a little $$!?" or "need to get back to life"? How does that make sense?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Funny concept. People have proven that they are capable of doing a job remote. Companies continue to maintain the office space throughout that time. Once the pandemic is "over" they require everyone to come back. These same companies speak about green initiatives and climate change as a part of their business plans nowadays. With apple they are vowing to go 100% carbon neutral. Anyone up in arms in that management about the millions of people returning back to vehicles spewing CO2 on highways en route to and from the office? Nope.
Why should anyone be up in arms about employees getting to work. It’s great companies are going carbon neutral, but they can’t control what their employees do.
Aside from this, families will go back to spending less time together, more money on child care, more wasted time spent behind the wheel or on a train, earlier hours to rise and less sleep.
And for many jobs increased productivity. Nothing is black and white.
If you are capable of working remotely, and have proven for two years that you can do your job to the same degree you could inside an office, why not continue that status quo?
Because not every company is the same. Not every dept, job and manager is the same.
1 word: control.
Must be a reflection on your work environment.
The office is the bread and butter for micromanagers and HR professionals. Back to someone clamoring for "butts in seats by 8am" and questioning your 5 minutes overrun on the lunch "hour".
As opposed to wfh where one has to stay in front of the computer for 14 hours to prove they were working?
Back to meetings where you can't multitask and have to sit in the breath of those who are sick but have run out of sick time.
Two points: multitasking in a meeting is bad, imo. Sick employees should not be at work period.
Back to the "open office concept" where when one person has a cold, 5 days later the entire row does simply because the company doesn't want to pay for cubes anymore.
I hate open office concepts but not for the reason above.

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Why should anyone be up in arms about employees getting to work. It’s great companies are going carbon neutral, but they can’t control what their employees do.

And for many jobs increased productivity. Nothing is black and white.

Because not every company is the same. Not every dept, job and manager is the same.

Must be a reflection on your work environment.

As opposed to wfh where one has to stay in front of the computer for 14 hours to prove they were working?

Two points: multitasking in a meeting is bad, imo. Sick employees should not be at work period.

I hate open office concepts but not for the reason above.

I infer you need a better job opportunity. I sense discontentedness underneath your arguments. With a worker shortage, it's a great time to trade up.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I infer you need a better job opportunity. I sense discontentedness underneath your arguments. With a worker shortage, it's a great time to trade up.
I don't think I need a better job opportunity. I was pointing out that, imo, there is false logic in the quoted post and maybe the commentary reflected what is going on in your particular work environment. Additionally, those that feel very strongly about return to office, seems that there are an abundance of opportunities out there for that person.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
Here's out it essentially shakes out;

Companies that invested a substantial amount of money in a campus that that they can't really resell like Apple are going to push hard for employees to return.

Flipside; companies who sold off buildings/stop renting commercial real estate are benefiting cost wise from this pandemic. Even if productivity is lower with remote work(debatable to some extent) the bottom line is still more in a companies pockets so win win.

I just saw my yearly pay increase and it's pretty bad even though my review was good and company doing decent. My increase doesn't come even close to keeping up with inflation(even the underreported inflation numbers). My theory is given the fact that my work has sold of some buildings(including the one I was in) they will be extremely flexible on the work from home schedule going forward. This is sort of their bargaining chip. Now for some reason it's not I will be job hunting the amount of money I will be spending commuting would mean I'm literally earning less every year at my job because of inflation(and I am in IT).

Sidenote; for all the people in this thread who have the motto "i gO tO tHe oFfIcE....sO sHouLd yOu".
Can I ask you why on earth would you want more people on the road as it would impact your own personal commutes? Seriously why would you want more traffic as it would directly impact you? We all known the infrastructure can't support the amount of people(hence why it's called traffic). Do you enjoy this?

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Choo choooooooo. Lol

If anything’s clear, it’s that there’s still a lot of frustrated people. The stage level is going down in our city, and I’m hoping that helps people feel better as the cases continue to go down. Our work just went through a little worker revolt because they were asked to come to the office three days a week after being WFH for almost two years.

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
Love all the whiners.... some of us never stopped going into the "office" (nurse here). Time to get back to work... tired of being short handed because people are crying about having to actually leave the house to earn a paycheck.
Not only that but the positions being paid more not having to come in.. A solid amount of management and engineers out of office while operations is always here with higher expectations..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.