Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Amazon "android" tablets don't come with google play or any other google apps, so I don't see what this forced requirement is.

1. Not all apps available in Play Store are available elsewhere (up to date, official, safe)
2. If Amazon wants to produce both Android and Fire OS devices, they will probably have to stop upgrading Android on Fire OS (see BlackBerry and Samsung).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
so that means the unprecendented amount of control and lockdown that exists in no other mainstream consumer OS is okay? What about back when it was the majority? was it okay then?
But your issues with Apples control over its OS are an entirely different thing than what the EU are pursuing Google for.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
But your issues with Apples control over its OS are an entirely different thing than what the EU are pursuing Google for.

I agree, but from the users perspective it is the same

I dont care that I dont get to click accept on whatever terms android oems are subject to because they can be easily overridden and ignored by the user, particularly on european android variants

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

I think his issues fall more into line with Microsoft/I.E. Than this case, to be honest. I was simply trying to point out that people with majority shares have to play by different rules.

so that means the unprecendented amount of control and lockdown that exists in no other mainstream consumer OS is okay? What about back when it was the majority? was it okay then?

iOS had a majority share for only a short time when they were basically the only modern game in town. As soon as com0anies started to make Android devices, iOS started slipping rather quickly.

Reactions: Truefan31

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
what about the fact that ios has the vast majority of profits? why is only market share important? especially since this is about commercial competition apparantly

Last edited:
Reactions: macfacts

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I agree, but from the users perspective it is the same

I dont care that I dont get to click accept on whatever terms android oems are subject to because they can be easily overridden and ignored by the user, particularly on european android variants

It is not the same. The point is that Google is killing the variants.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
It is not the same. The point is that Google is killing the variants.

I know it isnt exactly the same, Apple is worse. Android devices with unlockable bootloaders (most european variants) can be modified in any and every way, including stripping google from the device. Apple devices cannot even do far lesser things like downgrading the OS.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
what about the fact that ios has the vast majority of profits? why is only market share important? especially since this is about commercial competition apparantly
If you have 99% of the profits with 20% share that doesn't make you a threat to free choice yet.

And BTW, Google makes ton of profits with collaterals. If the hardware makers die, they can just build the phones themselves.

And why do the other makers earn so little?

1. Android vendors: little differentiation by being lazy and dropping their own systems in favor of Android, undercut by low-cost newcomers with little R&D capability
2. Alternatives: Locked out by Google even if quite compatible
[doublepost=1461349563][/doublepost]
I know it isnt exactly the same, Apple is worse. Android devices with unlockable bootloaders (most european variants) can be modified in any and every way, including stripping google from the device. Apple devices cannot even do far lesser things like downgrading the OS.
Apple is not worse. It is normal that I cannot use an iOS app on BB10, but not a pure Android app which is only available on the Play Store.

If Apple had 90% of the market, then we could talk about making their runtime available to third parties.

Reactions: MRU and Truefan31

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
It is also not normal for one app store to control any and all applications on an operating system like ios too
That is true. It does not affect other phone manufactures, but it imposes a tax on ISVs and limits the owner's freedom.

I guess that is why I did not like iOS in the beginning, but now it is more a question of dumbed-down GUI, price, and lack of removable parts.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
That is true. It does not affect other phone manufactures, but it imposes a tax on ISVs and limits the owner's freedom.

I guess that is why I did not like iOS in the beginning, but now it is more a question of dumbed-down GUI, price, and lack of removable parts.

I'm not trying to downplay Googles actions. I just wish the spirit of the standards were applied evenly. Would be a win for users all around.

In theory if Google went completely in house and manufactured their own hardware we could be stuck with two completely apple-locked style systems and it sounds like we could do jack squat.

Imo users deserve certain rights.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I'm not trying to downplay Googles actions. I just wish the spirit of the standards were applied evenly. Would be a win for users all around.

In theory if Google went completely in house and manufactured their own hardware we could be stuck with two completely apple-locked style systems and it sounds like we could do jack squat.

Yes, but the investigation is massive. It goes well beyond a single item like the Appstore or Windows. There was nothing like Google before.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Yes, but the investigation is massive. It goes well beyond a single item like the Appstore or Windows. There was nothing like Google before.

there was also nothing like the lockdown on ios devices before iOS either though! there still is no equivalent wrt lockdown on iOS to this day

gaming consoles are the best example I have as something close

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
there was also nothing like the lockdown on ios devices before iOS either though!
I'm not saying Apple deserves a pass.

Google is being investigated for:

- Search
- Android
- Appstores
- Deals with telecom
- Price comparison
- Google News
- Advertising
- Blacklisting

etc.

This is the second charge, and they are not finished yet.

Reactions: gotluck

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

If Android goes down and we only have iOS? You'll see lawsuits. Until then, not happening.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Heard the ideal suggestion made on This Week in Google podcasts when they were discussing this topic...legislate to eliminate the default lockdown, meaning OS can't mandate/lock down or designate default apps. It would then be up to the user to determine.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Heard the ideal suggestion made on This Week in Google podcasts when they were discussing this topic...legislate to eliminate the default lockdown, meaning OS can't mandate/lock down or designate default apps. It would then be up to the user to determine.
The EU is talking about €26 billion (with a B) in fines against Google. Complete and utter b.s. That would essentially bankrupt Google through stock devaluation. If that is how the EU goes about things, I could see Google simply limit the OS to specific regions or shut down all servers in the EU. I'd like to see how long a politicians career lasts when the public finds out that they can no longer use their phone or internet services because of them. Google has 40% of the entire Internet go through their servers, so it wouldn't be an idle threat.

What I find kind of funny is how Google haters love to talk about how fragmented the Android experience is. Google is trying to rectify that by at least keeping Android standardized in its apps that are available to users across various Android devices. Now those same people are criticizing Google for not allowing OEM's to fragment the platform even more. Well, which is it?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The EU is talking about €26 billion (with a B) in fines against Google. Complete and utter b.s. That would essentially bankrupt Google through stock devaluation. If that is how the EU goes about things, I could see Google simply limit the OS to specific regions or shut down all servers in the EU. I'd like to see how long a politicians career lasts when the public finds out that they can no longer use their phone or internet services because of them. Google has 40% of the entire Internet go through their servers, so it wouldn't be an idle threat.

What I find kind of funny is how Google haters love to talk about how fragmented the Android experience is. Google is trying to rectify that by at least keeping Android standardized in its apps that are available to users across various Android devices. Now those same people are criticizing Google for not allowing OEM's to fragment the platform even more. Well, which is it?

My reply was more in the context of creating uniform requirements across all OS, ie Android, iOS, whatever--specifically in relation to gotluck's issues with Apple being able to make certain requirements of their devices while Google is getting hammered for doing the same. I'm not hating on Google here...in fact, I don't understand how this complaint can't be levied on Google when nobody's forcing OEMs to use Android...go create your own fork like Amazon or Cyanogenmod where you're not required to include Google Apps.

I don't begin to understand the dynamics of this whole investigation, other than EU politicians seem to have specific agenda against Google.

Reactions: gotluck

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
My reply was more in the context of creating uniform requirements across all OS, ie Android, iOS, whatever--specifically in relation to gotluck's issues with Apple being able to make certain requirements of their devices while Google is getting hammered for doing the same. I'm not hating on Google here...in fact, I don't understand how this complaint can't be levied on Google when nobody's forcing OEMs to use Android...go create your own fork like Amazon or Cyanogenmod where you're not required to include Google Apps.

I don't begin to understand the dynamics of this whole investigation, other than EU politicians seem to have specific agenda against Google.
My reply wasn't directed at you specifically wrt people hating on Google and trying to bring it down. Apologies if I came across that way.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

I don't think you'll see anything close to that 26 billion number. And this seems like it'll drag for years.

I can see the irony of the fragmentation argument though, even though at least in the us carriers play a part in it. Add the fact that android devices are on every pricepoint market it further adds to the argument of fragmentation.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
The reason Google is being singled out is because they are forcing oems to include google services.

To use an analogy, let's say there are only 2 main stream fast food joints, Burger King and McDonalds. Let's say Burger King is run as a franchise model, where Burger King corporate doesn't own or run any restaurants, but licenses the franchise and makes money by having franchise owners pay for food ingredients, the burger pattys, bread, fries, ect.

And now let's say McDonalds only has corporate owned restaurants, they own and run every single one and make their money by customers buying their food.

Now let's say one of the Burger King franchise owners decides they want to sell BBQ Ribs. The problem is Burger King Corp forbids them from selling ribs, because it would hurt burger sales and they wouldn't make money from them selling ribs.

And that is the problem. It doesn't matter if McDonalds wants to sell ribs or not, since they run the restaurant they can decide whatever they want to sell, but Burger King is forcing its franchise owners to only sell burgers because that's how they make their money and that's what makes it anti competitive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.