Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
I keep trying Safari, but I usually end up going back after realizing it still has the "inexplicably disappearing cursor bug". It also doesn't help that I prefer the layout of Inspect Element in Chrome, but that's more preference than anything. I'm hoping that Yosemite will help me move back but somehow I doubt it.

At least I can finally get Safari to actually block popunders. :rolleyes:

I also prefer the Chrome web inspector, but I like the Safari layout more, and most of all, I like that Safari uses Keychain instead of an odd file somewhere (is it still unencrypted plain text?) to store my passwords. Now that websites have tightened restrictions on passwords, I keep forgetting them and need them all stored somewhere safe.

DonutHands

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Los Angeles
finally theres some movement from google.

i just could not leave my book mark bar of favicons, so much better than actually having the whole website name typed out wasting space.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I also prefer the Chrome web inspector, but I like the Safari layout more, and most of all, I like that Safari uses Keychain instead of an odd file somewhere (is it still unencrypted plain text?) to store my passwords. Now that websites have tightened restrictions on passwords, I keep forgetting them and need them all stored somewhere safe.

IIRC, Chrome has the file stored using OS X's Keychain Access. While this doesn't mean you can access Safari passwords on Chrome and visa versa, it does mean the security of storage is more in Apple's hands and not Google's.

I've since switched to password managers (e.g., 1Password) to fill in the gaps in both security and interoperability between browsers.

----------

finally theres some movement from google.

i just could not leave my book mark bar of favicons, so much better than actually having the whole website name typed out wasting space.

Actually, you can do this already by just deleting the bookmark name; this setup you described is one of the handful of things I prefer on Chrome.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Great news.
Soon I'll try giving Chrome a spin again.
Hope MacRumors will notify us, when it is out of beta.

Meanwhile Safari has seriously grown on me.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
IIRC, Chrome has the file stored using OS X's Keychain Access. While this doesn't mean you can access Safari passwords on Chrome and visa versa, it does mean the security of storage is more in Apple's hands and not Google's.

D'oh, I was thinking of Firefox. Yes, you're right, Chrome saves them to the Keychain.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
about bloody time, but lets get it wrapped up, tie a bow on it and ship it as a production release of Chrome.

Does this mean that 64bit plugins will also work (Java specifically)

finalcut

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
Quebec, Canada
there is something I do not understand. I thought Google had 64-bit browser for quite some time now. My Dev Build is saying 38.0.2114.2 dev (64-bit).

what am I missing?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The 64-bit beta version is way better on my Windows 8.1 machine than the release version. Fast, stable and the fonts don't look like crap (UI scaling for high res displays is properly respected).

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Does this mean I can run Chrome on my 64 bit G5 Mac?

If you couldn't before, you probably can't now. Chrome being 64-bit doesn't help with that because 64-bit processors can run 32-bit programs anyway. If that's an iMac G5 you're referring to, I wouldn't use Chrome anyway. I'd use TenFourFox or Camino.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
i've been using safari 8.0 exclusively since installing the yosemite beta...and wow, heaps better and faster than chrome. so much so that the only thing i miss in safari is being able to move the cursor over the different folders in the favorites bar and the folder contents opening up like they do in chrome. that's about it.

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
While I've had experience using Chrome on a Mac, (a website I was using required a WebGL element that was not supported in Safari) Safari is hands-down the best browser on OS X. The integration with the operating system alone is enough to make it my go to browser.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
While I've had experience using Chrome on a Mac, (a website I was using required a WebGL element that was not supported in Safari) Safari is hands-down the best browser on OS X. The integration with the operating system alone is enough to make it my go to browser.

For future reference, if you enable the Develop menu in Safari, you can enable WebGL from that menu. I'm not sure why it's disabled by default. Is there some disadvantage of having it enabled?

----------

about bloody time, but lets get it wrapped up, tie a bow on it and ship it as a production release of Chrome.

Does this mean that 64bit plugins will also work (Java specifically)

In my experience, Java never works in a web browser. It asks about 8 times if I'm sure I want to run it then goes away. "Security."

macgabe

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2012
yeah there slow just like those LAGdroid devices..

Finally Java support in Chrome for mac users :)
Oh yes that was it! Thanks for jogging my memory - very annoying to switch browsers for java logins.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
The "stable" Version of Chrome is horrible performance-wise.

Using Hangout Videochat on Safari: Decent, my Mac gets a little louder, but ok.
Using Hangout Videochat on Chrome: Mac turns into an aircraft turbine..

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
Honest Question

Is there really any benefit to using a 64 bit browser vs 32 bit browser?

I use Firefox 32bit on Win 7 and on my OSx Mavericks computers.

I just like firefox and the availability of the adblock+ and ghostery plugins so I use it both places. I know firefox has a 64bit version, but I've never tried it. And I know IE has a 64bit version on my Win7 x64 OS, but I NEVER use IE.

So, is there truly any benefit? More secure? Plugin compatibility issues?

Thanks!

barberio

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
Something that I note that the article missed... The new 64bit version and the latest beta, as with the Windows beta, includes (after it runs its component update) the video tag DRM extensions. And will allow Netflix to run in HTML5 mode, and does so without kicking up the fans...

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
I've used my friends' devices running some version of JellyBean, and yeah, I have to agree that it's slow and unstable.
So no, you haven't used the latest Android. I'm not defending Android... I prefer iOS... but if you haven't used the newest OS on the newest phones, you don't really have any idea what it's like. Try iOS 7 on anything else but an iPhone 5S and you won't have the most optimized experience, for example.

Is there really any benefit to using a 64 bit browser vs 32 bit browser?

I use Firefox 32bit on Win 7 and on my OSx Mavericks computers.

I just like firefox and the availability of the adblock+ and ghostery plugins so I use it both places. I know firefox has a 64bit version, but I've never tried it. And I know IE has a 64bit version on my Win7 x64 OS, but I NEVER use IE.

So, is there truly any benefit? More secure? Plugin compatibility issues?

Thanks!
Adblock+ and Ghostery are also available for Chrome and Safari.

Google claims the 64-bit version is faster, more stable, more secure, and has better memory management.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.