Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Is there really any benefit to using a 64 bit browser vs 32 bit browser?

I use Firefox 32bit on Win 7 and on my OSx Mavericks computers.

I just like firefox and the availability of the adblock+ and ghostery plugins so I use it both places. I know firefox has a 64bit version, but I've never tried it. And I know IE has a 64bit version on my Win7 x64 OS, but I NEVER use IE.

So, is there truly any benefit? More secure? Plugin compatibility issues?

Thanks!

There are benefits to performance and security, and there can be benefits to stability, but it isn't as clear-cut as you'd think. If an app is coded poorly in 64-bit and coded well in 32-bit, the benefits can be outweighed by other unrelated issues. However, this is typically more of an issue with plugins and beta software where there are going to be a lot more variables thrown into the mix. Between completely different browsers, the issue is even less clear.

If it comes to Firefox 32-bit or IE 64-bit, use whichever you prefer that supports your needs. If you are choosing between 32 and 64-bit versions of Firefox, there is probably no reason not to use 64-bit (unless plugins you need aren't supported on 64 bit, or there are stability issues). Even so, you could just keep a 32-bit version installed just for using that particular plugin, or to go back to. It's actually handy to have other browsers installed in case a website isn't working properly (heck, I have at least 6).

tldr: Yes and no (but mostly yes). All other things being equal, try 64-bit first.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Hey.

I started a thread on the iPod and iTunes section, about media keys not working. It turns out that the culprit is Google Chrome.

I'm seriously tired of this crap. The notification system that has nothing to do with OS X, Chrome taking possession of my keyboard by default, etc.

I don't care how many bits it has, it is a pile of crap.

http://www.omgchrome.com/chrome-google-music-media-keys/

Google Chrome doesn't do this by default though, you need to install an extension first (as the article you linked stated). Granted, I wouldn't expect this behavior in the background (and Chrome wouldn't be my first place to look).

When I'm using VLC to watch a movie, I don't hit the play/pause button expecting iTunes to pop up (which it does). It makes more sense to have it hijack my keyboard than to have it hardcoded to iTunes/QT and unusable for anything else.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Google Chrome doesn't do this by default though, you need to install an extension first (as the article you linked stated). Granted, I wouldn't expect this behavior in the background (and Chrome wouldn't be my first place to look).

When I'm using VLC to watch a movie, I don't hit the play/pause button expecting iTunes to pop up (which it does). It makes more sense to have it hijack my keyboard than to have it hardcoded to iTunes/QT and unusable for anything else.

You just have to install Google Play Music, and it does the rest by default without any sort of clue or notification.

How many users do it (especially to upload songs and sync them wirelessly with Android) but use proper music players on the Mac and PC (iTunes and Spotify)? How many use Chrome as a browser? How many must be thinking: "Why aren't my keys working", especially when Chrome starts at login (default behavior)?

They should be ashamed.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
So no, you haven't used the latest Android. I'm not defending Android... I prefer iOS... but if you haven't used the newest OS on the newest phones, you don't really have any idea what it's like. Try iOS 7 on anything else but an iPhone 5S and you won't have the most optimized experience, for example.

Well that's what I've got, iOS 7.0.4 on my iPhone 5. I can say that KitKat would be one heck of a minor revision if it were that much better than JellyBean, which I can compare to iOS 6, which runs much more smoothly.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Wake me when Mozilla decides to resurrect the 64-bit Firefox project.

Well that's what I've got, iOS 7.0.4 on my iPhone 5. I can say that KitKat would be one heck of a minor revision if it were that much better than JellyBean, which I can compare to iOS 6, which runs much more smoothly.

Wait for Android L. The death of Dalvik and the interface-lift should make lots of people very happy.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
You just have to install Google Play Music, and it does the rest by default without any sort of clue or notification.

How many users do it (especially to upload songs and sync them wirelessly with Android) but use proper music players on the Mac and PC (iTunes and Spotify)? How many use Chrome as a browser? How many must be thinking: "Why aren't my keys working", especially when Chrome starts at login (default behavior)?

They should be ashamed.

chrome starts at login for you?

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
and it went to login items without you manually adding it?

I'm not following you...

This is what happens:

You install Chrome and it automatically starts at login, once you reboot your computer;
You then install your apps, like Google play music;

Now, without any notification or warning, when Chrome is open your media keys won't work.

Since Chrome usually starts at login, this behavior also starts.

Stuff like this, together with the stupid and intrusive "google software update" that is very difficult to get rid off, not to mention the pathetic intrusive notification system that google uses (instead of notification center), battery problems, etc., means that Chrome = Trash.

I won't use it anymore.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
I'm not following you...

This is what happens:

You install Chrome and it automatically starts at login, once you reboot your computer;

Now, without any notification or warning, when Chrome is open your media keys won't work.

Stuff like this, together with the stupid and intrusive "google software update" that is very difficult to get rid off, not to mention the pathetic intrusive notification system that google uses (instead of notification center), battery problems, etc., means that Chrome = Trash.

I won't use it anymore.

i was asking if chrome by itself went to login items ie launched itself when the computer was booted up.

i wasnt aware of that from chrome and ive been using chrome for a few years and never has it automatically started.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I'm not following you...

This is what happens:

I won't use it anymore.

Chrome can't use notification center because Google's notification center is linked to Google Now.

iMarietto

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2014
just one thing:

Chrome seems way better than safari when you just want to go back to previous page...zero animation, zero stupid reload of the whole page...just like it was before in safari :(
And sometimes load a few sites a lot faster then safari (slooow and sleepy blue-bar loading in the address field...)

another good thing with chrome is that you can always monitor download files speeds and progress while you continue to surf the internet.

Stop :D

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I don't care. Still it doesn't give them permission to install that stupid bell that doesn't follow any sort of guidelines.

Any notifications should come through the notification center.

Google Now is a totally separate software completely incompatible with Apple's notification center, or should Google nerf their browser so you're happy it plays with notification center? You already know the solution, don't use Chrome. I for one like Google Now and will continue using it.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Google Now is a totally separate software completely incompatible with Apple's notification center, or should Google nerf their browser so you're happy it plays with notification center? You already know the solution, don't use Chrome. I for one like Google Now and will continue using it.

But why can't you click the bell and drag it outside the menu bar, or to some other position, like you can do with all icons?

Why can't you quickly remove the bell in 1 or 2 clicks?

And Google now could easily use notification center...

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Welcome to 2009, Google.

I used to be a big fan of Chrome but it's amazing how far behind Chrome has become over the last few years. The speed and performance these days aren't even close. Safari 8 in Yosemite runs circles around Chrome while using far less battery and RAM.

So you are comparing a browser against something that isn't out to the general public yet? Chrome has never been great, neither has Safari.

Don't recall all these commens about 64bit Safari, when that took years to appear. People seemed quiet happy that it was stuck in the dark ages. Oh wait silly me, it's Apple so it doesn't matter.

I don't care. Still it doesn't give them permission to install that stupid bell that doesn't follow any sort of guidelines.

Any notifications should come through the notification center.

All the software problems related to OSX and this is what people now complain about? The crap that should never have found it's way into the OS to start with? Is this how far Apple has fallen? People complaining about pointless flappy eye candy.

Time to find a new OS that is about being productive and useful, not one that is aimed at the sad pointless ****ters.

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
yeah sorry to say safari has won me back. using the mix of right plugins it kills google chrome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.