Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Anyone having issues getting to their music on Google Play with webkit based browsers?

I have a Fluid app for this and it's simply coming up blank - on every webkit based browser I have including Safari.

I've also tried Opera and OmniWeb. Blank window except for logo and user name.

On TenFourFox I am completely able to access my library, but because Flash is not enabled in the browser I cannot play anything.

The last time I used Google Play on my QS was a few months ago and it was working fine then. The only difference between T4Fx and all the other browser I have is that Flash is enabled for all but T4Fx.

So…this suggests to me that Google recently changed it's Flash requirements and the hack that we all depend on is insufficient. However, I don't really know.

Anyone have any ideas? Is it working for you?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks for that! I've enabled it (it's actually located somewhere else so I had to hunt for it) but it has made no difference.

I get two alerts in TenFourFox about Flash whenever I access my library, even with this setting on. I get nothing but a blank webpage in any other browser still.

Attached you can see what I mean…

Attachments

• TenFourFox.png
    TenFourFox.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 349
  • TenFourFox 2.png
    TenFourFox 2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 171

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I am actually having a problem connecting to any Google site. Roccat is complaining about an invalid certificate.

[edit] my date and time went skewiff. Fixed that and Google Music is loading normally under Safari Webkit. I have enabled HTML5 and usually need to reload the page to get it to load up fully but it seems to be working OK.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I am actually having a problem connecting to any Google site. Roccat is complaining about an invalid certificate.

[edit] my date and time went skewiff. Fixed that and Google Music is loading normally under Safari Webkit. I have enabled HTML5 and usually need to reload the page to get it to load up fully but it seems to be working OK.
Hmmm…still not working for me.

Could be something with my ISP, who knows. Not tragic as I have other means to listen to my music but kind of annoying. Not annoying enough to track down right now though unless there's an easy fix somewhere.

Thanks for the help!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
what? Old flash is safe if you only use it on trusted sites like youtube or google for example.
Flash is enabled in every browser and Fluid app I use except for TenFourFox. That is because T4FX has disabled plugins as a security measure since I think version 21.

Also, I don't use Flash in T4Fx. It slows things down to a standstill. So, I use either MacTubes, or generally, a Webkit browser if I need to use Flash.

The problem is that NONE of my other browsers, including my Google Music Fluid-made app, are loading up my music library from Google. All I get is a blank page.

But my T4Fx browser IS loading my Google Music library - it just can't PLAY any of my music because Flash is disabled.

So my only thought is that Google is now requiring a higher version of Flash then what the hack I use is reporting while in T4Fx, it's probably loading HTML5.

But if everyone else is able to access Google Music just fine (and play music from their library) then it's got to be something with my system.

I'm trying to determine if it's one or the other.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
what? Old flash is safe if you only use it on trusted sites like youtube or google for example.

It is also less efficient and less optimised on Macs, therefore to be avoided where alternatives exist. Consider why the likes of Mactubes exist.

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2013
It is also less efficient and less optimised on Macs, therefore to be avoided where alternatives exist. Consider why the likes of Mactubes exist.

it works fine with spotify web player and that is heavier than google music

----------

Flash is enabled in every browser and Fluid app I use except for TenFourFox. That is because T4FX has disabled plugins as a security measure since I think version 21.

Also, I don't use Flash in T4Fx. It slows things down to a standstill. So, I use either MacTubes, or generally, a Webkit browser if I need to use Flash.

The problem is that NONE of my other browsers, including my Google Music Fluid-made app, are loading up my music library from Google. All I get is a blank page.

But my T4Fx browser IS loading my Google Music library - it just can't PLAY any of my music because Flash is disabled.

So my only thought is that Google is now requiring a higher version of Flash then what the hack I use is reporting while in T4Fx, it's probably loading HTML5.

But if everyone else is able to access Google Music just fine (and play music from their library) then it's got to be something with my system.

I'm trying to determine if it's one or the other.
ahh ok I see. When I have a ppc working again I will test this. Did you try aurora aswell?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Still struggling with this. Every browser I use on my PowerPC Macs gives me a blank webpage.

On my MBP however, interestingly enough there is ONE browser that does fine with this. Guess which one.

Chrome.

So, now I'm wondering if there is some sort of deep check for both Intel and Google Chrome. Because even on the work MBP it won't run in Safari or Firefox.

I can fake the user agent in my Fluid app, but it still does not work.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Have you tried maybe using Roccat? They have a user agent switcher built in, couldn't hurt to try

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Have you tried maybe using Roccat? They have a user agent switcher built in, couldn't hurt to try
Nope.

I'm really starting to wonder if Google has locked it to only Google products.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
No. Unless there are some dregs of Glimmerblocker I may have missed when I uninstalled it a few years back. But I doubt it. This is affecting all of my PowerPC Macs and my MBP (with the exception of Chrome) and the MacPro at work.

I'd think that Chrome on the MBP would be unable to access it too if Glimmerblocker was still working. And it also would have blocked my Fluid app on my PowerPC Macs as well.

Perhaps, LittleSnitch, but again, it's working on Chrome. If LS were blocking that it wouldn't be working on Chrome either.

Quite the conundrum unless I'm right and Google is only letting it work in Google products.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Nope.

I'm really starting to wonder if Google has locked it to only Google products.
I couldn't use Google Music without Chrome...Maybe your user-agent isn't liked?

EDIT: nvm just tried on Safari. Maybe its your OS version??

Try this user agent: "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_11) AppleWebKit/601.1.56 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0 Safari/601.1.56"

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I couldn't use Google Music without Chrome...Maybe your user-agent isn't liked?

EDIT: nvm just tried on Safari. Maybe its your OS version??
I think you probably hit on something.

Apparently the Yosemite Mac at work is letting me load my library in Safari. I can't play anything because I don't have Flash installed on this Mac, but it loads.

My MBP at home is running Snow Leopard and the only browser it loads in is Chrome.

My user agents are specifying an Intel processor and higher version of OS X so it seems that's either being ignored or Google is using other detection.

So…an experiment tonight. Change the system version on my QS and see what happens.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
OK. Tried this (changing system version) on my PB which I happened to bring to work today.

I think there is a combination of things going on but some of it's contradictory. I can load my library on an Intel Mac. I can load it on a Windows PC. I cannot load it outside of Chrome on my Snow Leopard MBP.

In the case of the Intel Mac and the Windows PC no Flash is installed. The Flash hack is installed on my main PowerPC Macs, but nothing will load - although I can get to the actual Music store itself, just not my library.

On the G4/450 here at work I am not logged in and trying to open my library. It's not even displaying an authentication dialogue.

Lastly, on ANY computer that will load my library, inside Settings, the HTML5 option for music is grayed out. I cannot switch it on.

From my research it's speculated that the setting is grayed out because the browser can already use HTML5. There seems to be no comment on that from Google (they seem to be dodging the question).

I am also wondering if the recent change in the site has broken it for good on PowerPC and outside of Chrome on my MBP.I am further wondering if even though the Flash hack identifies as a later version if the site is not asking something of it that it cannot produce because it really is an older version.

In any case, I think using my Fluid app for Google Music is now no longer possible.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
OK. Tried this (changing system version) on my PB which I happened to bring to work today.

I think there is a combination of things going on but some of it's contradictory. I can load my library on an Intel Mac. I can load it on a Windows PC. I cannot load it outside of Chrome on my Snow Leopard MBP.

In the case of the Intel Mac and the Windows PC no Flash is installed. The Flash hack is installed on my main PowerPC Macs, but nothing will load - although I can get to the actual Music store itself, just not my library.

On the G4/450 here at work I am not logged in and trying to open my library. It's not even displaying an authentication dialogue.

Lastly, on ANY computer that will load my library, inside Settings, the HTML5 option for music is grayed out. I cannot switch it on.

From my research it's speculated that the setting is grayed out because the browser can already use HTML5. There seems to be no comment on that from Google (they seem to be dodging the question).

I am also wondering if the recent change in the site has broken it for good on PowerPC and outside of Chrome on my MBP.I am further wondering if even though the Flash hack identifies as a later version if the site is not asking something of it that it cannot produce because it really is an older version.

In any case, I think using my Fluid app for Google Music is now no longer possible.
I couldn't get HTML5 playback on my MBP either. I hate flash so I don't use it at all. Google, get with the times XD.

EDIT: I tried a bunch more user agents and none of them would work..ugh..

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah, just tried using Dolphin under Desktop Mode on my iPhone. HTML option was still grayed out.

It's dead Jim. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.