Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Modern physics clearly stipulates that "Google" and "Private" cannot coexist in the same spacetime.
It's pretty much impossible to avoid Google if you use the internet. They are worse than Facebook and that's saying something.

That said, any major company and private don't go together whether that be Microsoft, Amazon, Meta, or even Apple.

Reactions: eRondeau

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
Imagine my shock to see Google discontinue a service... 🤥

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
To be replaced by google one tiers featuring Gemini gen AI, I’m sure.

And as everyone has said here, who would trust google with a vpn?

I guess their plan was to have you browse in a logged in state anyway, so they’d still know loads about you. Just not third parties.

Reactions: shapesinaframe

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
If people were not using Google's VPN then it could not have been a good one then because VPN's are common place in countries were the government clamps down on how much information it wants it's citizens to know. People in communist countries are known to use VPN's to get around their governments control of the flow of information into the country. VPN's are also widely used by people who want to carry out dubious actions, to be able to hide their identity so they cannot be traced. Any VPN that allows a person to properly hide who they, that VPN will be very very popular. Google cannot be hiding people's identities very well then.
Are you getting VPN and Tor confused by chance? VPNs are easy to trace back to the owner.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
Surely one of the reasons people use VPNs is to keep their data away from companies like Google?
No. VPNs are used for TWO valid, non-marketing reasons:

1. to prevent man-in-the-middle attacks. Basically it prevents information from being read or changed while in transit.
2. To report your ISP to be in a different country, so you can access blocked websites.

applefan8254

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2023
I use it and like it. I am sad to see it go. I know there are alternatives, but this came in handy.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
I was today years old when I realized my Google One subscription included a VPN. I've been a Google One paid customer for several years and I wasn't even aware they offered a VPN -- at least for non-Android devices. I recall hearing about it when the VPN was first included but it was Android-only. So I probably tuned-out other notifications when it became available for other OS's. I wonder how many others share the same story.

techpr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
San Juan, PR
When one door (search engine VPN) closes (Google), another door opens (DuckDuckGo)

IMG_0685.jpeg

cytricks

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2024
I used google one VPN and they wanted it to fail from the start.
It does work and a decent casual VPN but if you actually use the internet it makes everything a terrible experience.

You constantly get disconnected and reconnect every 5 minutes. This makes it so if you are chatting or using app that relies on a consistent connection a no go and good luck downloading a large file from the internet as you will get disconnected.

They also hide the fact you get the VPN from your sub.
Finally, good luck trying to find the desktop client app...yes there is a windows VPN app they never talk about.

They never wanted this to work at all.

• Wow
Reactions: bousozoku

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Imagine signing up for and using a Google service… Why would anyone in their right mind invest their time, effort, and money into a service that will be canceled within a few years?

Reactions: Ursadorable

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
They also hide the fact you get the VPN from your sub.
Finally, good luck trying to find the desktop client app...yes there is a windows VPN app they never talk about.
When I found out about it I assumed a Google One VPN could by used from your Google Chromebook. Could not believe it when I learned that wasn't the case.

Osxguy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Keizer Oregon
Google has the worst follow through on anything. Look at downtown San Jose. Another example. Google voice… many other features. I really really hate that company.

J___o___h___n

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2017
I just refuse to support anything new Google does because they just never see anything through.

What’s next? They going to give up on Google Dot Com? 😂😂

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
When I had this on my old android tablet, I was so paranoid about being watched I never even thought to go anywhere except news sites.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
The one time I actually needed it, when I was staying in Bali, it didn't even work because it's not available in Indonesia.

The Mac client basically doesn't work either. No great loss because it was useless in the first place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.