Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I’m on Google Fi because my friends wanted the group discount but it sucks. I think that’s next to go. I will be dumping it for another service soon.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Most companies: Not many people are using our product, let's make it better.

Google: Not many people are using our product, let's kill it forever.
They just want to throw **** at the wall and see what sticks. They've got lucky with Gmail, Chrome, Android, Nexus/Pixel phones, YouTube (well they bought that). If it's not making them money then kill it off and find something that does make money.

Don't think many would have been using the VPN service from Google.
Using a VPN from any major company isn't a good idea. I do have Private Relay and I know it's not a "true VPN" but I don't rely on it. It can be a pain in the ass at times.

krakenrelease

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2020
That's common misconception. VPN is not going to help you to keep your data away from Google at all (unless Google is your ISP). Google trackers and ads are still going to gather data about you no matter of you using the VPN or not. IP address is not major data point when tracking users anymore.

VPN helps in very narrow use-cases - especially when you trust your VPN provider more than your ISP. In all other cases you're better off without VPN actually. Despite all the marketing claims surrounding the VPNs.
VPNs can scrub the is data as well. I use Surfshark and there is a setting to block ads and trackers that can be turned on or off.

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
I can tell you, I have Google one and I don't recall ever seeing anything promoting this service as part of the package.

hacky

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2022
VPNs can scrub the is data as well. I use Surfshark and there is a setting to block ads and trackers that can be turned on or off.
You can do this locally via DNS (AdGuard) or in the browser itself (uBlock Origin addon of Brave browser).

If you care about privacy, you definitely wouldn't want someone to be "scrubbing" your traffic.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Trusting Google, a company at the pinnacle of surveillance capitalism, to run a VPN is like asking a fox to guard a chicken coop. Of course nobody sane would use a Google-based VPN.

krakenrelease

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2020
You can do this locally via DNS (AdGuard) or in the browser itself (uBlock Origin addon of Brave browser).

If you care about privacy, you definitely wouldn't want someone to be "scrubbing" your traffic.
I know that. I use NextDns. But I was responding directly to your comment: "VPN is not going to help you to keep your data away from Google at all (unless Google is your ISP). Google trackers and ads are still going to gather data about you no matter of you using the VPN or not."

This isn't a true statement. Some VPN's CAN block trackers and ads natively.

hacky

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2022
I know that. I use NextDns. But I was responding directly to your comment: "VPN is not going to help you to keep your data away from Google at all (unless Google is your ISP). Google trackers and ads are still going to gather data about you no matter of you using the VPN or not."

This isn't a true statement. Some VPN's CAN block trackers and ads natively.

This isn't a true statement.
It certainly is true. Domain blocking would not block all of Google tracking.
Also by using VPN, you give VPN provider ability to track all of your traffic, which is even more disturbing!

As I wrote before, by using VPN you give VPN provider all of your trust to the chosen VPN provider, because you route all of your traffic through them. That's hardly good from the privacy standpoint.

Some VPN's CAN block trackers and ads natively.
Just via DNS and that's hardly enough. You don't need VPN at all in order to block ads via DNS.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
This is why I just cannot go back to Android. I want everything to work as seamlessly as it does on iOS so naturally I choose Googles solutions. There isn’t anything wrong with them and the cloud interface is good.

But you just never know what they will just randomly cut next. It started really with the perfectly good Play Music app but the recent cull of their own Podcasts app (which I really liked) means I’ll never go back now.

Apple doesn’t normally drop apps and if they do it’s for good reason. I used to devour content on iTunesU but it’s a little redundant in the face of YouTube which has wider compatibility. The fact I can still use modern cloud features on my 13 year old Mac Mini speaks volumes.
To play devil's advocate: Google develops an absolute truck ton of apps and tools, mostly for free. So yeah, they are into throwing stuff at a wall and seeing what sticks. Some of the stuff that slides off is still used by a small handful of users, but the dev costs to keep it maintained, especially if it is free, simply isn't worth it for them.

Personally, I use quite a lot of Google stuff, and I'm struggling to recall anything that I use being dumped. Often I've given stuff a go, haven't liked it much, and dumped it myself long before they have.

I use a MBP and a Pixel, and use a lot of the Google cloud services (e.g. gmail, docs, sheets, notes, photos, etc), which work on both devices, and any changes I make on one device, automatically update on the other almost instantaneously. I find this waaaaaay better than Apple's so called ecosystem that everyone raves about. I was very much pleasantly surprised when I moved to the Pixel 8 after 10 years of owning iPhone.

Unlike yourself, I am feeling absolutely no hurry at all to ever return to iPhones.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
Trusting Google, a company at the pinnacle of surveillance capitalism, to run a VPN is like asking a fox to guard a chicken coop. Of course nobody sane would use a Google-based VPN.
Why not? No VPNs prevent browser tracking, that's not the purpose of a VPN, and a VPN isn't designed for that purpose.

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
Most people don't realize, when you connect to a VPN, you're putting yourself, and potentially your entire network on their network. A VPN service that you don't run or your company runs is kind of an oxymoron.
Which is why I use my own. I am fortunate enough to have fiber internet and a router that supports VPN's and encrypted DNS.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Some of the stuff that slides off is still used by a small handful of users, but the dev costs to keep it maintained, especially if it is free, simply isn't worth it for them.
I get what you're saying, but it was 'free' for users of Google One, which is a subscription service you have to pay for.

Nekronos

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2024
I used google one VPN and they wanted it to fail from the start.
It does work and a decent casual VPN but if you actually use the internet it makes everything a terrible experience.

You constantly get disconnected and reconnect every 5 minutes. This makes it so if you are chatting or using app that relies on a consistent connection a no go and good luck downloading a large file from the internet as you will get disconnected.

They also hide the fact you get the VPN from your sub.
Finally, good luck trying to find the desktop client app...yes there is a windows VPN app they never talk about.

They never wanted this to work at all.
The windows client works well, I honestly think it just doesn't work as well on iOS as it does on android.

The VPN service will remain available for Pixel users.

Google didn't hide the VPN feature, it's clearly visible on the google one page and app. They just didn't market google one or it's VPN like Apple markets their products/services.

Also, it was never going to be as appealing to the average apple user as icloud+ due to difference in integration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.