Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
This week I bought my GF an iPhone XR as an upgrade from her raging S6 Edge Plus. At first sight I had phone envy but after using it for 2min I quickly came to the conclusion that I won't buy an iPhone anytime soon. The reasons are:

Unlocking the phone is laborious: You have to press the power button, look at the phone and then swipe up. Because of the finger print reader my Pixel is unlocked by the time I lay my eye on it after taking it out of my pocket.

No camera short cut button: Waking up the phone and swiping to open camera is not as quick as double taping the power button on my Pixel which enables me to quickly snap photos one handed. This is god sent when you are a busy parent.

You can have the phone wake through a tap on the screen or when it detects movement so unlocking isn't that bad. You don't need to press a power button. A bit longer than fingerprints but not too horrendous.

Similar with the camera short cut. You can wake through a tap or movement and swipe to get the camera from lockscreen.

I definitely prefer both these things on this Pixels as well though.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
So, today I had a bit of good fortune. I managed to pick up a mint Pixel 2 XL for £150.

I've spent the afternoon setting it up and upgrading it to Android 10. Man I've missed stock Android.

Similar experience with stock Android. I had an S10e for a few months and really enjoyed it. One UI was decent and the hardware was pretty good too. About a month ago, I bought a Pixel 3a on a whim fully expecting to sell it off pretty quickly. Ended up selling the S10e. One UI on the S10e definitely offered a significant amount of useful features over stock Android, however, the smoothness and simplicity of stock Android made me ultimately prefer it.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
Similar experience with stock Android. I had an S10e for a few months and really enjoyed it. One UI was decent and the hardware was pretty good too. About a month ago, I bought a Pixel 3a on a whim fully expecting to sell it off pretty quickly. Ended up selling the S10e. One UI on the S10e definitely offered a significant amount of useful features over stock Android, however, the smoothness and simplicity of stock Android made me ultimately prefer it.
I definitely prefer stock Android over One UI, actually over any other Android skin.

My favourite thing in Android 10 are the new gestures, they are the closest in smoothness to iOS yet - IMO.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I definitely prefer stock Android over One UI, actually over any other Android skin.

My favourite thing in Android 10 are the new gestures, they are the closest in smoothness to iOS yet - IMO.

I considering the Pixel this time around.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
So, today I had a bit of good fortune. I managed to pick up a mint Pixel 2 XL for £150.

I've spent the afternoon setting it up and upgrading it to Android 10. Man I've missed stock Android.

My Pixel 2 XL is mint and still going very well, only just starting to get a bit of RAM issues but otherwise fine.

I'll almost certainly be getting the Pixel 4 XL, when the price drops around Dec/Jan time.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London

I was always jealous of iPhone gestures and disliked the navigational bar eating up screen real estate.

The new android gestures and super smooth and already second nature. I got got used to them in under 48 hours.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
So... I gotta be probably one of the last holdouts with this device, eh? Just did some updates on mine and so far doesn't look like I've broken anything lol. Just made me wonder if anyone else still has their 2 on rotation?

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
So... I gotta be probably one of the last holdouts with this device, eh? Just did some updates on mine and so far doesn't look like I've broken anything lol. Just made me wonder if anyone else still has their 2 on rotation?
My mom is still running her Pixel 2XL as her only device. She is noticing the battery not going as long as it did out of the box but otherwise it is still serving well. I went to an S10 after the Pixel 4 was a bit of a disappointment. Loved my Pixel 2 and hope my next phone is another Pixel.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Pixel 2 is my everyday phone, not one problem since new. ?

I use an SE and iPad Mini 5 when on road trips.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
My wife still uses and loves her 2XL. I don’t have much need for a flashy phone so I’ve just bought a pristine condition Pixel 2 for £180, should last me a while. Comes with 12 month warranty. I’m at my desk all day for my job working from home and have hardly any reason to pick my phone up, everything can be done on my PC. My gym is at home as well so during the week I barely touch my phone until the evening where I use it lightly.

Also bought a brand new genuine black fabric case for £18, always wanted to try one.

forestinjersey

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Nice haul.
6d2c29ab6b1c5a2046947fad6d64e1c0.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.