Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
Ladies & gentlemen,

So.. I was reading up on some Mobile World Congress (MWC) articles and I came across a statement from Rick Osterloh.

Rick Osterloh is the head of Google's hardware department and he has confirmed during an appearance at MWC that the Pixel 2 was on the way.

I take this as an official nod to start this thread and let the discussions (and speculations) begin! :)

KKH

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
Expected to retain its flagship price

Hopefully waterproof

Expected to use the latest chipset and camera tech

There might be a budget Pixel

They might ditch the headphone jack

Probably here in October

Reactions: deany

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I really do hope this go around they'll be better prepared for supply and demand.

This iteration was just too hard to obtain certain models.

I had issues finding a 7 plus in jet black with T-Mobile too but I think the Pixel XL was even harder to find anywhere!

Reactions: jamezr

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
My current Pixel has been as good as day one.. I am very impressed.. I am sold on the Pixel philosophy.. especially on the software side!

Hardware is not too bad either but there is room for improvement.. Google need to avoid curved screens and try to reduce those bezels (although I like the symmetry).

I would like them to keep the flagship status and not do a budget model (that will dilute the brand in my opinion).. if they are serious about challenging the big boys!

I hope waterproofing is included and perhaps wireless charging but I am not fussed if they remove headphone jack.

Flat back (no camera hump) is a big thumbs up! Keep that!

The short of it for me is.. if Apple release an iPhone "7s" then the Pixel follow up will be a no brainer but if we get a brand new design iPhone then I will have to decide between the two (only iPhones and Pixels for me as software experience is priority number one).

Reactions: ATC

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Well I hope they release it on ALL carriers this time around! Negotiate better production quantities with whoever manufacturers it. Hopefully the stick with HTC. Would love to see waterproofing and SD card and wireless charging.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I said this in the other Nexus/Pixel thread, the Pixel 2 has incredible potential.

Their aim should be to get Samsung-like hardware, obviously Google software, and Apple-like support with updates. Then obviously stick the landing with good storage options, availability, etc.

-Samsung-like hardware could just be better design with less bezels (doesn't have to adopt edge displays honestly), waterproofing, and wireless charging (so I assume glass backs). Find a way to get dual speakers again?

-Google software is self explanatory.

-And Apple-like updates/support is basically what Google is doing now with the Pixel. Keep up the monthly security updates, first access to new Android versions, and keep offering full unlimited Photos backups.

Achieve those three and you'll have a winning combination.

Reactions: kkh786

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I really liked the Pixel XL hardware for the brief time I owned one. I don't think Google needs to change much on the next versions:

- A more efficient design -- specifically, a better screen/overal size ratio. It doesn't need to be edge-to-edge but considering everything else is upping their game here, squeezing a little more display inside that frame is a good idea. And ditch the wierd two-tone back panel. Go all metal or glass (to allow wireless charging) but this non-functional mash up is just wierd.

- Waterproof -- these are now pretty much table stakes

- Available to purchase -- Google has achieved the impossible with the first version of the Pixel--made the iPhone's limited inventory for the first couple months after launch seem like abundance. It's 6 months later and it's next to impossible to get one's hands on most models of Pixels. That's a just plain foolish business practice, especially on a first iteration of a product trying to gain traction against two behemoths like Apple and Samsung. This also means it's universally compatible with all carriers AND has VoLTE/wifi-calling for ALL carriers.

- I'd love to see a dual speaker set up as well. At a minimum, mimic Apple and use the earpiece up top with another speaker at the bottom.

Do the first 3, while maintaining the excellent user experience they created on the first Pixel, and I think Google will have an unqualified success. And they'll have at least one more new customer. :D

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm pretty sure most people asked for what we're asking for in that Pixel feedback forum Google did.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
hope they get rid of that damn chin

I actually think the Pixel 2 will look nothing like the Pixel. I foresee all glass back, first of all, and for sure smaller bezels. It was one of the biggest knocks against the Pixel. I'm sure they got an earful on the design in their Pixel feedback. :)

Reactions: jamezr

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Please Google, for once be ahead of the pack. Smaller bezels, preferably with an under display fingerprint sensor for example. Don't release another monstrosity like the pixel in 2017. You are putting this phone out there as a flagship, with a truly flagship price, then it needs to compete with phones like the S8, iPhone 8, G6, etc. Just keeping apps exclusive to the phone is not enough, and only enrages consumers when they realize it's just gouging.

Reactions: 5105973

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Please Google, for once be ahead of the pack. Smaller bezels, preferably with an under display fingerprint sensor for example. Don't release another monstrosity like the pixel in 2017. You are putting this phone out there as a flagship, with a truly flagship price, then it needs to compete with phones like the S8, iPhone 8, G6, etc. Just keeping apps exclusive to the phone is not enough, and only enrages consumers when they realize it's just gouging.

Agree.

And regarding Google's release cycle...

It's a really interesting position. On the one hand, it has the opportunity to be the culmination of that year's best tech -- a refinement or "final form" of that year's best offerings. On the other hand, it also can't help but feel as if it's on the eve of big changes and new technology as we turn into the new year. It's a bit odd and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it.

I guess it's a matter of perspective.

Reactions: spinedoc77

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Agree.

And regarding Google's release cycle...

It's a really interesting position. On the one hand, it has the opportunity to be the culmination of that year's best tech -- a refinement or "final form" of that year's best offerings. On the other hand, it also can't help but feel as if it's on the eve of big changes and new technology as we turn into the new year. It's a bit odd and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it.

I guess it's a matter of perspective.

I wish they took a cue from Microsoft. The surface pro tablet is head and shoulders above anything else the OEM's have put out, and that's how it should be as MS is pushing them to greater things. The pixel ain't a bad phone at all, but I still don't get the feel of a flagship with it.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I wish they took a cue from Microsoft. The surface pro tablet is head and shoulders above anything else the OEM's have put out, and that's how it should be as MS is pushing them to greater things. The pixel ain't a bad phone at all, but I still don't get the feel of a flagship with it.

100% agree. I had the Pixel for a solid month. It was a great introduction, but the Pixel 2 is where it'll really count.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
I had the Pixel for 2 months, it was a nice phone but it just didn't feel premium like the price suggested, a few features I like are missing that have been in other phones for a while now.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
How about they actually keep it in stock? Jeez...

Anyway, I love the Pixel XL. I prefer it over my iPhone 7 plus, which I am fixing to sale.
That should priority #1 for Google this time around. They missed out on so many sales because of inventory issues.

IMHO...They really nailed the user experience with the Pixel XL....It is more than just the sum of it's parts.

Reactions: MRU and kkh786

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
This phone has me more interested, but I echo the concerns about supply and demand. The inventory issues are unacceptable for a company like Google

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
8GB RAM.
6 INCH SCREEN.
dual cameras: wide lens plus telephoto/front facing camera w/flash wide
Force Touch with peek and pop
Waterproof
Slim the bezels and give us front facing speakers
UFS 2.1 with f2fs.
Make pancakes (aka exclusive pixel only feature)

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Ladies & gentlemen,

So.. I was reading up on some Mobile World Congress (MWC) articles and I came across a statement from Rick Osterloh.

Rick Osterloh is the head of Google's hardware department and he has confirmed during an appearance at MWC that the Pixel 2 was on the way.

I take this as an official nod to start this thread and let the discussions (and speculations) begin! :)

KKH
Wonder if they will go to more carriers AT&T Perhaps? I've been transitioning to alot of google services of late i use the Google Home and Chromecasts thru the house for a home wide audio system, I have an Iphone 7 plus, and it works pretty well , but I'm thinking of trying out Android and get widget control of Google Music, but i think i'd only want a google branded phone as lack of updating turns me off from other Brands.

Reactions: tbayrgs

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
So the latest reports suggest that there may be three new Pixel devices in the autumn.. Pixel 2, Pixel XL 2 and a third device.

The reports highlight three fish based code names that have been seen in the Android Open Source Project recently.. “walleye”, “muskie” and the third "taimen".

I am intrigued what the third device is all about.. possibly a premium special edition?

Any thoughts?

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Would absolutely love it if they came out with a really big screen XL version with slim bezels and a 16:9 FLAT screen. That would make for a great alternative to these narrow & curved hipster phones ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.