Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Also would not hesitate to buy if it looked like that. Would just prefer some actual availability of the damn device along with some more colour choices (and NOT gold or pink!)

Keep the blue, add red along with black and white and I'm happy. ;)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Also would not hesitate to buy if it looked like that. Would just prefer some actual availability of the damn device along with some more colour choices (and NOT gold or pink!)

Keep the blue, add red along with black and white and I'm happy. ;)

Yeah this is sooooo true. Make it available to bloody purchase Google. Still can't believe that the Pixel only launched in a small handful of countries and even then stock and colour options were severely restrained / restricted.

Reactions: Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Yeah this is sooooo true. Make it available to bloody purchase Google. Still can't believe that the Pixel only launched in a small handful of countries and even then stock and colour options were severely restrained / restricted.

Yup. I remember looking (out of curiosity) for the blue pixel XL shortly after they released it over here. Absolutely nowhere to be seen.
Shame as I think it may have affected sales of the device. When I worked at CPW, we used to have people leave the store disappointed all the time due to not having the colour they wanted. They always seemed to want the opposite of what we had in stock!
I think they'd solve the problem of all the different models if they just stopped trying to mimick the worst bit of Apple and charging for 2 different size storage phones.

Just make it 64gb standard and allow a memory card slot. They'd win 2017 if they did that, if it looked like it does above, and they added what should have been there from the off. Water proofing, wireless charge etc.
At this stage too, I'd be happy with no camera update as it's incredible as it is. Apart from the light bleed I got when I had mine for that short time which may have even been fixed since then?

Reactions: MRU

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Why is taller and less wide better? Looks more uncomfortable in the pocket to me, and width makes web sites easier to read.
My feelings too I would love to have a 5.7 inch Pixel XL 2. All they have to do is reduce the bezels. I like my S8+ but feel it is a little narrow.

Reactions: Oohara and MRU

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Looks like the Pixel 2 will have the same (or very similar) aspect ratio as the G6 and S8

Screenshot-2017-06-11-at-21.36.54.jpg

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2017/06/11/google-pixel-2-display-size-shape/#7b5e6d157623

Nice, THIS is what I've been waiting for. Keep in mind that other than the aspect ratio there seems to be NO source for anything else that is conceptualized in this picture. There is zero confirmation that Google plans to reduce the bezels by this much, in the picture it seems they just overlaid a picture of the G6. But hell yeah, I'd be super happy with this, even though I don't love the narrower form factor just having the flat sides and instant updates with Google would probably seal the deal for me.
[doublepost=1497287998][/doublepost]
Why is taller and less wide better? Looks more uncomfortable in the pocket to me, and width makes web sites easier to read.

It's personal preference at this point. IMO I feel the taller/narrower reduces functionality, and the screen size is really smaller than the specs because of this. I'd MUCH rather have 16:9 as it feels more like a full screen. I'm sure everyones use is different, but I use my smartphone in portrait mode 99% of the time, and even when in landscape mode viewing videos the 18:9 will give you black bars.

Once again just preference. I also hate that new trend for computer monitors to be very wide, but short, ugh just awful.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Looks like the Pixel 2 may have a larger XL variant, likely due to this increase in display ratio? I'd imagine it could be S8+ or larger if this rumor is true.

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/06/1...-xl-muskie-may-replaced-larger-taimen-device/

Yah I saw that, very exciting. Personally I'd push for larger screens, especially if they are eliminating the bezels. Come on Google, go 6" on that XL!!! Or preferably closer to 6.2" which will IMO be closer to a "true" 16:9 6" screen.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Yah I saw that, very exciting. Personally I'd push for larger screens, especially if they are eliminating the bezels. Come on Google, go 6" on that XL!!! Or preferably closer to 6.2" which will IMO be closer to a "true" 16:9 6" screen.

That would be cool. I really liked the Nexus 6. I just hated the camera on that thing. If we can get a 6" screen in a smaller body, I'm all for that

Reactions: spinedoc77

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
Looks like the Pixel 2 will have the same (or very similar) aspect ratio as the G6 and S8

Screenshot-2017-06-11-at-21.36.54.jpg

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2017/06/11/google-pixel-2-display-size-shape/#7b5e6d157623

I am liking this render.. lets hope the real thing is close to this interpretation as I am sure the internals will be top notch!
I plan to weigh the new Pixel range, the Note 8 and the new iPhone range for my next phone as it has been a year so far of no phone change mainly thanks to my still buttery smooth Pixel experience! :cool:

Reactions: jamezr

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
LG could be the one to make the larger Pixel 2 (or both?): http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-n...gle-Pixel-successor-code-named-Taimen_id94957

If it looked like an updated G6, I could be happy with that. +Waterproofing and wireless charging and I'd be in.

I guess Google will continue to rotate around different OEMs for their Pixel line.

A G6 with stock Android would be awesome! the Verizon G6 I had was a lag monster, definitely needed some software cleanup.

Reactions: epicrayban

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
LG could be the one to make the larger Pixel 2 (or both?): http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-n...gle-Pixel-successor-code-named-Taimen_id94957

If it looked like an updated G6, I could be happy with that. +Waterproofing and wireless charging and I'd be in.

I guess Google will continue to rotate around different OEMs for their Pixel line.
I do like the LG build quality. I wonder if they wanted to split up the manufacturing duties to help with availability?
HTC has had trouble keeping up with demand. But hopefully they will keep the quality and build consistent to last years model and between this years models as well.
Please keep a display button on the right side like last years model. LG phones usually don't have a display button. Instead the FPS doubles as a display button. I hope the Pixel doesn't incorporate that.

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Yea, Google's smartphone offering is always an interesting event -- you never really know what you're going to get. You more or less know with Samsung and Apple, but with Google, they are sort of a wildcard.

I'm still very excited for the potential of the second generation Pixel.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
I do like the LG build quality. I wonder if they wanted to split up the manufacturing duties to help with availability?
HTC has had trouble keeping up with demand. But hopefully they will keep the quality and build consistent to last years model and between this years models as well.
Please keep a display button on the right side like last years model. LG phones usually don't have a display button. Instead the FPS doubles as a display button. I hope the Pixel doesn't incorporate that.
I love my Pixel XL but I don't think it was a demand problem. There has to be another reason why they were so hard to get. Was it Verizon that forced Google to limit the number of devices sold online?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/06/google-sells-1-million-pixel-phones-in-eight-months/

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Yea, Google's smartphone offering is always an interesting event -- you never really know what you're going to get. You more or less know with Samsung and Apple, but with Google, they are sort of a wildcard.

I'm still very excited for the potential of the second generation Pixel.

They just need to slim down those huge and ugly bezels then it is worthwhile taking a look. First impression counts a lot.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
This makes sense. Tbh I've lost faith in HTC - they still make good producs, but something is off, no cohesion.

As others say, take a G6, modify it and as a Pixel XL 2, it will be lovely. And probably available to actually purchase.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Yep just rebrand the g6 as the pixel 2, put in the sd835 or 836and vanilla android and I'd be 100% happy. Of course some will complain they reused the g6, sigh.

But really it provides a very simple upgrade path for google.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Just noticed that the Pixel has £100 off in Currys. Not sure how long this has been on for, or whether it is something that has been advertised (?) but pretty good nonetheless.
£499 for a regular Pixel or £619 for the XL is pretty good, and much better than the prices on Google store.

No blue, of course. But black and white both there. Only 32gb.

Reactions: kkh786

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Hmm.. https://9to5google.com/2017/06/24/google-pixel-2-specs-walleye-taimen-rumors/

Smaller Pixel will still have the same huge bezels, supposedly the larger one will have slimmed down bezels. I still don't get the point of the Pixel, especially as it exists which is grossly overpriced for the design. It certainly isn't to make a lot of money because from what I understand they've only sold about a million of them, and I can't see their profit margin being anywhere close to Apple's since I don't believe they do any hardware in house like Apple does. The only other option is they want to put out a premium device to force OEM's to make better devices, similar to what Microsoft does with the surface tablets. But the only issue with that is the Pixels seem like they have worse designs than the OEM's, put the pixel next to a Samsung S8 or a LG G6 and even a blind person can tell you which one looks clunky and outdated. So I'm still confused a bit at their strategy, really the pixel is just a nexus with a higher price tag.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Hmm.. https://9to5google.com/2017/06/24/google-pixel-2-specs-walleye-taimen-rumors/

Smaller Pixel will still have the same huge bezels, supposedly the larger one will have slimmed down bezels. I still don't get the point of the Pixel, especially as it exists which is grossly overpriced for the design. It certainly isn't to make a lot of money because from what I understand they've only sold about a million of them, and I can't see their profit margin being anywhere close to Apple's since I don't believe they do any hardware in house like Apple does. The only other option is they want to put out a premium device to force OEM's to make better devices, similar to what Microsoft does with the surface tablets. But the only issue with that is the Pixels seem like they have worse designs than the OEM's, put the pixel next to a Samsung S8 or a LG G6 and even a blind person can tell you which one looks clunky and outdated. So I'm still confused a bit at their strategy, really the pixel is just a nexus with a higher price tag.

Agree with a lot of this, though 'overpriced for the design' is all relative to what the buyer will pay for it. We constantly see comments online is these forums that the iPhone is way overpriced for it's design/specs, yet Apple moves more of them than any other phone. I think your assumption that every consumer approaches smartphones with the same perspective as your own, someone admittedly far more tech savvy than the typical consumer, is where your argument falls down. If it was all just about how pretty a device looked, we'd see a lot more of the G6s and S8s moving off the shelves. I can't recall exactly where the stat came from (Kantar maybe), but one of the Android podcasts I listen too stated that S8/S8+ sales are actually lagging behind S7/S7 edge both vs last year AND right now.

Found the story:

iPhone 7, 7 Plus remain top sellers as Galaxy S8 sales disappoint in the US

And to be clear, I'm not trying to turn this into a 'iPhone is better because it sells more' discussion, just trying to illustrate that what the general consumer wants usually doesn't equate to the observations made here by a bunch of tech enthusiasts.

Brands carry a lot of weight and Google is one of the biggest, most recognizable. I'd assumed since the Pixel was originally announced that Google was focusing on the long play and ultimately wanted to develop a top down ecosystem similar to Apple's, controlling the entire stack. Doing so would take years--building the infrastruture alone would be a huge investment and I just figured it wasn't about turning an immediate profit so reports of low sales numbers wasn't a concern, especially since low availability has probably been the biggest limiting factor. They priced the phone high because that's ultimately the segment where they want it to live. Discount it now and trying to move the price up later would never fly with consumers.

But the latest rumors are really confusing. Spreading productions/design of your two flagships phones across different manufacturers---how is any of this different that what they did for years with the Nexus program? They also show zero interest in living in the tablet market, which is fine if you ultimately expect Chrome OS and laptop/hybrids to be your solution but again, very little progress seems to be made here. Android TV (I LOVE my Shield TV, btw) looks like yet another platform that's going to languish and die under Google. And wearables? That's funny... I even think Apple, of all companies, showed them up a bit with their focus on AR and making an AR kit available for developers to use with any iOS device, not just specific hardware Google is using (Tango).

Google just doesn't seem to have a clear strategy in mind...or at least, that's the way it looks and I find it frustrating as hell because I think with their services/data advantage, they have the opportunity to build a spectacular ecosystem of software AND hardware.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.