Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Would absolutely love it if they came out with a really big screen XL version with slim bezels and a 16:9 FLAT screen. That would make for a great alternative to these narrow & curved hipster phones ;)
i hope so too...because flat is where its at..... just sayin
LOLed at the bolded part....almost made me spill my coffee

Reactions: spinedoc77

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Flat or curved, Google has to bring their A game in design this year. With the s8 and iPhone 8, and with how widely disliked the Pixel design was, they'll have to step it up. And include waterproofing and wireless charging. In 2017, there will be no more excuses to omit these features.

I'm not worried whatsoever on the software and support front. It'll come down to hardware, especially if Google is going to get serious about the hardware business.

Last edited:
Reactions: v0lume4

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
They'll cost as much as an iPhone with half the availability.

I actually skipped out on the pixels because problems with my Nexus 6p, that and the price. I kind of miss the Nexus 5, even though I went through 3 of them... Oops...

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
8GB RAM.
6 INCH SCREEN.
dual cameras: wide lens plus telephoto/front facing camera w/flash wide
Force Touch with peek and pop
Waterproof
Slim the bezels and give us front facing speakers
UFS 2.1 with f2fs.
Make pancakes (aka exclusive pixel only feature)

8gb of RAM? Wow. That sounds like overkill for just a phone. Now if it had something like Continuum...

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
8gb of RAM? Wow. That sounds like overkill for just a phone. Now if it had something like Continuum...

One plus 3t has 6GB, was released 6 months ago, why not 8? Pixel Xl has reload problems when relaunching apps from RAM, this will help.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Long time 6P owner since it first came out and I decided to skip the Pixel because of the price and design. But I just found an amazing deal on a used XL and decided to go for it.

I got to a point where the occasional lags due to overheating and battery issues on the 6p finally told me I had to make a change. Though I loved the design and speakers.

I hope the upgrade will be worth it. I wish the 6P had a SD821 and a better battery.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
There will most definitely NOT be 8gb of ram, and likely will stay at 4gb.

Remember, with Android O moving towards a more iOS manner of handling backgrounded applications, there would be no reason for the pixel to expand beyond the 4gb it currently has, and rarely ever utilises fully even today.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Future-Google-Pixel-phones-could-have-curved-screens_id92934

Future Google Pixel phones could have curved screens

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Goog...to-secure-OLED-panels-for-the-Pixel-2_id92928

Google could invest $880 million in LG's Display division to secure OLED panels for the Pixel 2
I hope the curve is only a slight curve. I hope they keep it discreet like the iphone and not like the curves on the S8 line. i really like the flat screen on my Pixel XL.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I hope the curve is only a slight curve. I hope they keep it discreet like the iphone and not like the curves on the S8 line. i really like the flat screen on my Pixel XL.

Ditto. I don't want google to join the 'me too' race when it comes to hardware.

The greatness of the pixel is that it's more than just a sum of its parts.

Increase screen size slightly without increasing dimensions, give me stereo speakers, and generational improvement to battery, camera and processor. Waterproof it.

And most of all, make it actually available easily for heavens sake and not limited to a few counties with even more limited supply.

Then Pixel 2 sorted.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Ditto. I don't want google to join the 'me too' race when it comes to hardware.

The greatness of the pixel is that it's more than just a sum of its parts.

Increase screen size slightly without increasing dimensions, give me stereo speakers, and generational improvement to battery, camera and processor.

And most of all, make it actually available easily for heavens sake. Then Pixel 2 sorted.
Perfect! I would love to see wireless charging and some waterproofing as well. Totally agree with you on the size. It's big enough just reduce the bezels and increase the display size slightly.

Then for goodness sake ramp up production and make it available to all carriers at release.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm not opposed to a flat Pixel 2 either. This is a trend that I don't think Google needs to follow per se -- they can let Samsung have that corner of the industry.

As I said before, flat or curved, Google has plenty they need to focus on anyway, like overall better design, less bezels, better ergonomics, and adding waterproofing and wireless charging.

A big reason I want to get the S8 unlocked is in anticipation for the Pixel 2. The first Pixel was a valiant first effort, but the Pixel 2 is where Google can really make a difference. Still some time away, so we'll see. The potential is there. A Pixel 2 winning formula is actually fairly simple to achieve:

-Samsung-level hardware and design (this doesn't necessarily mean curved screens).
-Continue to beef up stock Android. It should have the useful features of TW combined with the clean and speediness of the Pixel. And for goodness sake, sound profiles, please. I shouldn't have to change the volume slightly to change my sound profile. *See my complaints below when I had the Pixel for a month.
-Continue the Apple-like security support and software updates.

Boom.

*no sound profiles complaints:

Why is it so hard to change this phone to vibrate only? Where is the simple toggle for sound/vibration? Like the one in Touchwiz. Do not disturb doesn't seem to have a "set to vibrate only" option, does it?

Some things about Google's decisions are seriously questionable. And if there's no solution other than, press the volume down hardware key, and if it's not on the correct sound profile while you're doing that, you have to pull down the menu to get to the sliders, if that's the only way, it's downright idiotic.

I have to say again how silly it is for Google to not have a dedicated sound/vibrate profile option in their pull down quick setting menu.

If I'm playing music or video via speaker or headphones, I can't change the sound/vibration setting without hitting the volume rockers, then pulling down the full sound sliders, then adjusting the alert slider to ring/vibrate.

That is just stupid. It means I have to change the volume a bit of what I'm playing just to get the option started.

Who at Google thought this was a good idea?

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Would absolutely love it if they came out with a really big screen XL version with slim bezels and a 16:9 FLAT screen. That would make for a great alternative to these narrow & curved hipster phones ;)

Resurrecting this as timely, your wish may come true, partially. Looks like the XL will have a 17.5:9 aspect ratio. While not as nice as 16:9 it's still nicer IMO than something like the s8 at 18.5:9. Looks like Google is taking a step in the right direction so far, now let's just hope those humungous bezels go away.

Interestingly enough the resolution at 2560 x 1312 is weird enough to draw a guess for some kind of functional or status bar, maybe like Apple's? Guess we'll have to wait.

http://pocketnow.com/2017/06/09/google-pixel-2-benchmark-display-aspect-ratio

Reactions: Oohara

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Resurrecting this as timely, your wish may come true, partially. Looks like the XL will have a 17.5:9 aspect ratio. While not as nice as 16:9 it's still nicer IMO than something like the s8 at 18.5:9. Looks like Google is taking a step in the right direction so far, now let's just hope those humungous bezels go away.

Interestingly enough the resolution at 2560 x 1312 is weird enough to draw a guess for some kind of functional or status bar, maybe like Apple's? Guess we'll have to wait.

http://pocketnow.com/2017/06/09/google-pixel-2-benchmark-display-aspect-ratio
Oh really, yet another aspect ratio? Well, nice to see another take on that, interested to see how it pans out. Google could do great things with a function bar.

And yeah still hoping for a FLAT screen. I think there's still a good bunch of folks who really prefer that, and Google has the opportunity to come off as the true productivity alternative now that Sammy has given in completely to style.

And I'm completely fine with having a bit of side bezel if it gets me a flat screen. In fact the huge bezels on the current Pixels might end up serving Google well - in that the new phone might look completely fresh 'n' slim even if it has a bit of bezel to it.

So when did the first correct pics start showing up for the current Pixels?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Looks like the Pixel 2 will have the same (or very similar) aspect ratio as the G6 and S8

Screenshot-2017-06-11-at-21.36.54.jpg

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2017/06/11/google-pixel-2-display-size-shape/#7b5e6d157623

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'll buy that in a heartbeat.

Add water-proof and a second wide angle camera as good as the pixels main camera on rear and I would be in phone heaven.
I am right there with you brother.....
I would buy that today.

Reactions: MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.