Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I’m in the opposite camp and so are most of my friends..we need the screen real estate…videos and social media on a good size phone …reading and overall experience is best on larger phones …only small I would daily drive is a flip phone which extends opened …

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I don't know the design language looks like a hybrid of the iPhone 15 Pro Max and a Pixel 8 Pro and blended them together with Bard AI. This is the design you get. 😂 Lol.

Seriously I don't like it. I am sure it will look good in real life and I don't mind a more flat design overall but it does look a lot like an iPhone with a fugly camera bump.

The Pixel 8 Pro is the best design Google has made and if they would have simply refined it more with just flat edges and everything else the same but improved the build quality and materials it would have looked a lot better. The Pixel series had a unique identity in industrial design which is pretty hard to achieve with the Pixel 6,7, and 8 and the 9 looks like a hybrid copy and it doesn't look unique or instantly recognized as a Pixel phone which I really liked. If I wanted an iPhone like design I would just buy an iPhone....

Oh well. I will probably buy one anyway......

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Every smartphone now looks the same. At least android used to differentiate with curved screens and grippier materials. Now its just touchscreen slab with metal rails and camera bumps...like an iPhone.

Last edited:

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
I would kill for a sub-6’ phone. All day, everyday. It surely wouldn’t be worthless to me. At work I’m not watching media on my phone because I can’t, and when I’m out doing stuff, I’m out doing stuff, so a big screen on the go is worthless to me. Calls, texting and music is all I need at work or out and about. Home I have a huge TV or computer screen to watch things on. Phone size is irrelevant at home.

I despise the sizes of these phone nowadays. I don’t understand what people see in phones of this size. I’ve never watched more than a 3 or 4 minute video on my phone and never will. Never watched a TV show or Movie on my phone and never will. I realize I’m in the minority but that doesn’t change anything about my wants or use-case.

Like I said, every time I go back to my PH-1 in between phone, a part of me dies inside when I get the new massive brick I’ve just bought after holding a sublime 5.8’ slice of perfection.

Super, well done you... That suits you, as said above, a minority...

I don't watch stuff or game on my mobiles at all. But a small device in my hands is bloody useless; far too small (buttons too small, screen to small; painful to text / message / reply to emails on etc) and I'm on my phones all day every day with the job I'm in...

Small phones are a thing of the past

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
It was always going to happen. Everyone copies iPhone to some degree. It’s the best selling phone in the world, right?
I wish Google just added some of their old flare with two tone colours on the back, a flash of colour on the power button etc. small things, but setting them apart.

Either way, count me in for this.

magicman32

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
Wow ..going 3 sizes now ...
Holy crap I cannot believe my eyes! I had zero interest in getting a phone this year, and I still hate the look (and likely feel) of the phone (I prefer curves) but a 6.1' phone with a real zoom?! This is almost dream-like for me.

Maybe my wallet gets no break this year for fear of them not making a smaller "Pro" phone next year.

Small phone lovers unite!!!!!

(Oh, it's just me? Cool. I don't care how much of a minority I'm in. I'm the only one that matters since I gotta hold these phones.)

Thank you Google, thank you, for giving me a proper sized phone this year. So maybe not such a thing of the past 😉!

Last edited:

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Holy crap I cannot believe my eyes! I had zero interest in getting a phone this year, and I still hate the look (and likely feel) of the phone (I prefer curves) but a 6.1' phone with a real zoom?! This is almost dream-like for me.

Maybe my wallet gets no break this year for fear of them not making a smaller "Pro" phone next year.

Small phone lovers unite!!!!!

(Oh, it's just me? Cool. I don't care how much of a minority I'm in. I'm the only one that matters since I gotta hold these phones.)

Thank you Google, thank you, for giving me a proper sized phone this year. So maybe not such a thing of the past !
I'd be happy if they loaded up the smaller Pixel ..I'd always go larger bc of my eyes but definitely a big GO

Reactions: magicman32

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
6.5 inches is my ideal screen size for any phone. Not too small, not too big, perfect for keeping the phone light also. I'll be keeping an eye on the XL if this is true, although I'm extremely happy with my S24+.

Reactions: Bkdodger

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
6.5 inches is my ideal screen size for any phone. Not too small, not too big, perfect for keeping the phone light also. I'll be keeping an eye on the XL if this is true, although I'm extremely happy with my S24+.

I’ve always thought 6.1” was a good compromise screen size wise so the Pixel 9 has caught my attention.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I really hope Google adopts that same screen technology as on the S24 Ultra; the non-reflective, matte finish display. It really is a game changer.

When using other phones besides my S24U, they look so shiny distracting, like looking at a mirror.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I wish Google would add a bit more customization to the UI. Like icon packs and changing the Google search widget.

Thing is, I've tried third party launchers and they seem to ruin the experience of the smoothness of the default launcher. For some reason the animations in other launchers don't give that same buttery smooth fluid transitions as the default UI.

So I like the stock Pixel UI just would like a little more customization built in.

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
I still prefer the Pixel camera layout, even if they 9 version is going away from the visor concept.

Don't like the that they are going the iphone-y route design wise with the squared edges as those are more uncomfortable to hold in one hand, especially if they are too wide, compared to rounded edges.

Happy they will be likely offering a somewhat compact form while having good specs, sadly it's growing slighty in width too with 7.1mm+

I hope they were able to improve of the heat issues of the 6a's, that thing, got very warm, even with light usage.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012

HouseLannister

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2021
If the smaller pro 9 is 6 oz or so, I'm in. If it's still a chunky boi, might hold off to see what the S25 does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.