Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
My problem and just for my point of view about mid-range phones it I could get a used flagship for a similar price as a new mid-range in some instances

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Seems like this discussion is getting a little buried in the Pixel 3 thread. I think these phones are going to be a big deal. Google is the fastest growing phone hardware manufacturer.

I also have a soft spot for the Nexus line.

Google Pixel 3a and Pixel 3a XL case images show large bezels and headphone jack (GSM Arena)
LOL.

The growers are Xiaomi and Huawei, with maybe Nokia (and even then they are already flattening).

Google seems desperate despite having HTC in their palms. I don't get it. It's like they are befuddled with Samsung releasing a ton of phones before even middle of the year (S10 family, Mxx family, and Axx family) so they felt the need to release "extra" phones. Google should just keep it simple, Pixel 4 and Pixel 4XL for 2019, and focus on trying to bring their phones to more markets. Google Pixel phones are barely released in many markets.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
LOL.

The growers are Xiaomi and Huawei, with maybe Nokia (and even then they are already flattening).

Google seems desperate despite having HTC in their palms. I don't get it. It's like they are befuddled with Samsung releasing a ton of phones before even middle of the year (S10 family, Mxx family, and Axx family) so they felt the need to release "extra" phones. Google should just keep it simple, Pixel 4 and Pixel 4XL for 2019, and focus on trying to bring their phones to more markets. Google Pixel phones are barely released in many markets.

I misspoke. US. I see them everywhere now.
https://www.talkandroid.com/337208-google-pixel-is-the-fastest-growing-smartphone-brand-in-the-us/

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
My problem and just for my point of view about mid-range phones it I could get a used flagship for a similar price as a new mid-range in some instances

That's true the pixel seem to have an unusually high mark down. Or should I say low when used. Anyways I just picked up a original pixel XL 128gb for 138 bucks on eBay in near mint condition. I bought it to try out vanilla Android and I'm loving it so far. You can pick up the pixel 2 XL for like 270.

They seem to go for a less than the same gen counterparts from other manufacturers. They are far superior to any new budget phone in the same price ranges.

The icing on the cake is that Google decided to release Android q for the original pixel line. When they were originally slated to end with Android pie.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
That's true the pixel seem to have an unusually high mark down. Or should I say low when used. Anyways I just picked up a original pixel XL 128gb for 138 bucks on eBay in near mint condition. I bought it to try out vanilla Android and I'm loving it so far. You can pick up the pixel 2 XL for like 270.

They seem to go for a less than the same gen counterparts from other manufacturers. They are far superior to any new budget phone in the same price ranges.

The icing on the cake is that Google decided to release Android q for the original pixel line. When they were originally slated to end with Android pie.
Thus imo I don't understand why Google is "wasting" their time with a Pixel 3 mid-range instead of simply do a Pixel 4. Just let the previous flagship become the current "mid-range" since they would still get at least another year of updates. Releasing more devices only makes things more complicated (more devices to test and support, more consumer confusion ("is Pixel 3a better than Pixel3?)) Just not a good idea.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

If the Pixel 3a has a similar camera to the Pixel 3 and faces similar markdown, it will be one of the best deals on the market.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Thus imo I don't understand why Google is "wasting" their time with a Pixel 3 mid-range instead of simply do a Pixel 4. Just let the previous flagship become the current "mid-range" since they would still get at least another year of updates. Releasing more devices only makes things more complicated (more devices to test and support, more consumer confusion ("is Pixel 3a better than Pixel3?)) Just not a good idea.

I'd like to think it is altruistic. To let people who can't afford a flagship phone to get a pure Android experience dependent upon only Google. I know there is Android One. But there is at least some minor level of dependence on the phone manufacturer. Perhaps it is to get a better mid range vanilla option

If the Pixel 3a has a similar camera to the Pixel 3 and faces similar markdown, it will be one of the best deals on the market.

I suppose everyone has different priorities. Mine would be for Pixel 3 grade CPU. Everything else cheaper.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
According to this link they'll be around $500 and $600 respectively. This is around 65% of the original devices. To me this is a horrible mistake being that the 4/4 XL is out in 6 months and you can find the 3 and 3 XL at these 3A/3A XL prices for deals all over the internet. No clue what their strategy is here outside of launching a cheaper device for some "emerging markets".

https://www.gsmarena.com/google_pixel_3a_and_3a_xl_canadian_pricing_leaks_online-news-36549.php

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
According to this link they'll be around $500 and $600 respectively. This is around 65% of the original devices. To me this is a horrible mistake being that the 4/4 XL is out in 6 months and you can find the 3 and 3 XL at these 3A/3A XL prices for deals all over the internet. No clue what their strategy is here outside of launching a cheaper device for some "emerging markets".

https://www.gsmarena.com/google_pixel_3a_and_3a_xl_canadian_pricing_leaks_online-news-36549.php

I agree... and the Pixel 3 XL has been $200 off original retail quite often since it was released.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
So there's been some new rumors that show $399 for the 3a and $479 for the 3a XL. These prices seem decent but I still couldn't justify them when you can get a slightly used excellent condition of the 3 or 3XL for similar prices. I guess if you want the headphone jack maybe?

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I thought recent rumors form a couple days ago, stated $399 for the 3a, and $470 for the 3a XL, which to me are very fair price points, for such a great mid range phone, which would have the #1 best camera, and runs the best smartphone OS in the business.

But if it's going to be like $600, then Google is ***** nuts. My opinion their flagship Pixel 3 XL should be permanently at like the $699 mark, and Pixel 3 at $599, and then the new a versions couple hundred bucks cheaper.

Reactions: slitherjef

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I am on the hunt for a used/new Pixel 3 at a discount as I missed the Fi deal but just came across this information.

I assume differentiating items from current Pixel:
wireless charging
wide angle selfie
plastic vs glass
screen quality
battery size
processor
front firing speakers

I really need wireless charging so that would be the biggest miss for me but $400 is a compelling rumored price.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
If its over $400 its too much for the 3a and wont sell.

With that being said, having them open to TMobile may get things moving pretty quickly for a budget/top Android device.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
If its over $400 its too much for the 3a and wont sell.

With that being said, having them open to TMobile may get things moving pretty quickly for a budget/top Android device.
Official
6319ca663e7610a2baabb0d9cc401919.jpg

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
That is a hell of a device for that price in this day and age. Will probably have technically better battery due to the processor/screen.
Close camera performance.
Headphone jack.
OLED screen.

for $400?????

I am still inclined to find a used Pixel 3 but that price in this day and age of "budget" top performing phones has set the bar. Very impressive.

They should sell a crap load of these especially with adding TMobile.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
That's a steal of a price.

Dieter Bohn says

"I am going to break an unwritten rule of tech reviews and tell you the ending right at the top: if you want to buy a new smartphone that costs between $300 and $500, you should buy a Pixel 3A or Pixel 3A XL."

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
That is a hell of a device for that price in this day and age. Will probably have technically better battery due to the processor/screen.
Close camera performance.
Headphone jack.
OLED screen.

for $400?????

I am still inclined to find a used Pixel 3 but that price in this day and age of "budget" top performing phones has set the bar. Very impressive.

They should sell a crap load of these especially with adding TMobile.
They are really killing it with this device! The price combined with that software and security features and camera is going to be very very hard for any other phone maker to match.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I read the leaks of $400 and was skeptical but honestly this might vault to the top of the best budget phones out there imo and I havent ever owned a Pixel.

I battle back and forth on a used 3 or get the 3a.

I really value wireless charging/camera as my top priorities so the lean is the 3 for now though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.