Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
This feels like an intelligent step forward for Google. Would jump on the XL just for fun if I had the extra cash lying around. Might have gone for it instead of the OP 6T and saved me a buck if I hadn't already made the purchase. At first I saw that the screen size is 6" to the 6T's 6.4" but then I remembered that anyway I have the top of my screen blacked out to hide that annoying pimple notch....so the screen sizes would be effectively almost the same for me ;)
Actually, no, because you still have more usable Display area in your OnePlus. Remember that even though you blacked out the top bar, the Notifications/Signal Icons etc... still use it, so you still get the benefits of more display area as those sit in that bar.

Reactions: Oohara

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Quick comparison of the current Pixel lineup....

pixel3a.jpg

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I think I'll wait to see what T-Mobile offers before I jump on the BestBuy deal of $100 Gift Card.

Hopefully T-Mobile doesn't do a deal where you need to open a new line.

You and me both. Trying to see if any other promo deals come out soon.

I am still leaning to a used Pixel 3 for the wireless charging/water resistance but I could be swayed.
[doublepost=1557265838][/doublepost]$100 Google Store credit if ordered direct from Google:
https://slickdeals.net/f/13067110-pixel-3a-100-google-store-credit?attrsrc=Test:HideExpiredSearch:Control&src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarAlgo1

Free Pixel 3a with trade in at Tmobile:
https://slickdeals.net/coupons/t-mobile/
[doublepost=1557265880][/doublepost]So many good promos!!!

Last edited:

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
So... A cursory glance on the g store with the purple XL (for fun) and I didn't see a full on front pic of the XL... I. Guessing there is a reason for this, say the huge notch?

Anyone order one?

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
So... A cursory glance on the g store with the purple XL (for fun) and I didn't see a full on front pic of the XL... I. Guessing there is a reason for this, say the huge notch?

Anyone order one?
There is no notch, but rather really large bezel.

Take note these devices do seem to be a little slower vs. their Snapdragon 845 counterparts, not much slower but it seems to be noticeable:

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
It's an absolutely ridiculous deal here in the UK. Getting a free Google Home Hub (or whatever they're called now) with a £399 Pixel 3a is absurd.

I'm actually annoyed that I bought my Pixel 3 a few weeks ago now with this! Id have happily had a 3a and the hub for less!

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Just picked up and played in store. It’s a fantastic device and love the size in my hand compared to my XS Max. Going to run it through a week or more of use and go from there. I am going to see if I can live without wireless charging begin the biggest item for me.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Google is offering 259 on trade for an iPhone SE 16gb Verizon. I just bought one on Swappa for 100 and will use as trade. Figure the cost for the SE and 3a at $240 made it too good a deal to pass up. I’m happy with my Xr, but always love having a pixel around.

*edit, not to mention the $100 store credit coming post purchase too!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It's an absolutely ridiculous deal here in the UK. Getting a free Google Home Hub (or whatever they're called now) with a £399 Pixel 3a is absurd.

I'm actually annoyed that I bought my Pixel 3 a few weeks ago now with this! Id have happily had a 3a and the hub for less!
You can get w free chromebook with the 3a from carphone warehouse too. Some great deals.
[doublepost=1557300579][/doublepost]
There is no notch, but rather really large bezel.

Take note these devices do seem to be a little slower vs. their Snapdragon 845 counterparts, not much slower but it seems to be noticeable:
I’m just wondering how the older chip and 4GB of ram will effect performance. The pixel 2 was getting sluggish in less than a year.

Reactions: Tsepz

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
You can get w free chromebook with the 3a from carphone warehouse too. Some great deals.
[doublepost=1557300579][/doublepost]
I’m just wondering how the older chip and 4GB of ram will effect performance. The pixel 2 was getting sluggish in less than a year.
My thoughts exactly.

I was under the impression that the 3a XL at least had a Snapdragon 710 with 6GB RAM, but I see it to has 4GB RAM and 670, which, IMO, may not equate in a great experience.

Looking at these devices now, I don't know if they are worth it over e.g. a OnePlus 6 for a little more for example, but only time will tell I guess.

Reactions: jeremiah256

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
My thoughts exactly.

I was under the impression that the 3a XL at least had a Snapdragon 710 with 6GB RAM, but I see it to has 4GB RAM and 670, which, IMO, may not equate in a great experience.

Looking at these devices now, I don't know if they are worth it over e.g. a OnePlus 6 for a little more for example, but only time will tell I guess.

I hardly think it's going to be a slow laggy brick of a phone. These mid range chip sets are actually very good, and often they tend to generate great battery results.

Also, some people won't even entertain the idea of One Plus. Myself being one of them. Nothing against the brand, but generally I want a fantastic camera in my phone and it's pretty common knowledge that One Plus don't have that part of their devices nailed down at all. With the leaks showing that the 7 is also likely to have a curved screen - you can very much out me in the camp of people who'd rather go for a 3a over anything they're offering.

To have such choice in the Android world is great though! :)

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
I hardly think it's going to be a slow laggy brick of a phone. These mid range chip sets are actually very good, and often they tend to generate great battery results.

Also, some people won't even entertain the idea of One Plus. Myself being one of them. Nothing against the brand, but generally I want a fantastic camera in my phone and it's pretty common knowledge that One Plus don't have that part of their devices nailed down at all. With the leaks showing that the 7 is also likely to have a curved screen - you can very much out me in the camp of people who'd rather go for a 3a over anything they're offering.

To have such choice in the Android world is great though! :)
Absolutely agreed.

Did you watch The Verge's review of the 3a though? It's not a slow laggy device, but if you are used to the standard Pixel 3 with the Snapdragon 845, you will experience a noticeable delay in some tasks, which could get very annoying over time. I was surprised at how noticeable the difference was in his comparison, the 3a just isn't as instant as a Pixel 3 or OnePlus 6. He also mentioned the picture processing isn't as fast as the 3, again, it's going to be a noticeable step back, especially when you are taking multiple pictures, hopefully it's not Nokia 9 slow in processing.

I get that the price is great, but I foresee some people getting these and complaining a lot in 2-3months when the honeymoon is over and realising that it may be better to fork out a little more for a Pixel 2 XL or Pixel 3, rather than 3a.

But I'll be watching to see how this plays out, a part of me is not convinced at all by the 3a models at this point.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom

Bought a Pixel 2 XL for £349 a couple week ago, wish I'd got this deal with the 3a and Nest Hub!

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Absolutely agreed.

Did you watch The Verge's review of the 3a though? It's not a slow laggy device, but if you are used to the standard Pixel 3 with the Snapdragon 845, you will experience a noticeable delay in some tasks, which could get very annoying over time. I was surprised at how noticeable the difference was in his comparison, the 3a just isn't as instant as a Pixel 3 or OnePlus 6. He also mentioned the picture processing isn't as fast as the 3, again, it's going to be a noticeable step back, especially when you are taking multiple pictures, hopefully it's not Nokia 9 slow in processing.

I get that the price is great, but I foresee some people getting these and complaining a lot in 2-3months when the honeymoon is over and realising that it may be better to fork out a little more for a Pixel 2 XL or Pixel 3, rather than 3a.

But I'll be watching to see how this plays out, a part of me is not convinced at all by the 3a models at this point.

I don't think you're the target market though. Let's be honest, all of us here love the latest and greatest in tech as it's our hobby.

So the majority of us are not going to use the 3a as our main .As a back up phone or a phone to tinker with Android on that has an amazing camera - absolutely.

The more I've thought about it the more it wouldn't make sense for me to buy one. I have the Pixel 3 and I love it, if I did get one it's probably be the XL as they've got rid of that horrendous notch and it will have a bigger battery. But the potential loss in performance (when the current Pixel 3 isn't as great as I'd hoped anyway compared to other flagships) makes me not want to bother.

Think I was just angling for the free home hub more than anything. :D

Reactions: Tsepz

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
I don't think you're the target market though. Let's be honest, all of us here love the latest and greatest in tech as it's our hobby.

So the majority of us are not going to use the 3a as our main .As a back up phone or a phone to tinker with Android on that has an amazing camera - absolutely.

The more I've thought about it the more it wouldn't make sense for me to buy one. I have the Pixel 3 and I love it, if I did get one it's probably be the XL as they've got rid of that horrendous notch and it will have a bigger battery. But the potential loss in performance (when the current Pixel 3 isn't as great as I'd hoped anyway compared to other flagships) makes me not want to bother.

Think I was just angling for the free home hub more than anything. :D

Haha, indeed, I am definitely not the target audience, and I do hope Google advertise this to people who are simply looking for a good smartphone with a great camera for a good price. If they angle their marketing correctly they may find themselves out of stock consistently with this one, the pricing is absolutely brilliant.

You'd probably love the 3a XL due to its battery life, I'd love to see what it scores, Snapdragon 670 and a 3700mAh battery, should be good for some crazy SOT, like 8-9hours SOT easily may be even more.

Haha, the Home Hub is seriously tempting, you guys are lucky you get all this cool stuff, we don't get them here in South Africa, unfortunately, yet we have a market that is fast growing for smart home appliances.

Reactions: Aneres11

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Haha, indeed, I am definitely not the target audience, and I do hope Google advertise this to people who are simply looking for a good smartphone with a great camera for a good price. If they angle their marketing correctly they may find themselves out of stock consistently with this one, the pricing is absolutely brilliant.

You'd probably love the 3a XL due to its battery life, I'd love to see what it scores, Snapdragon 670 and a 3700mAh battery, should be good for some crazy SOT, like 8-9hours SOT easily may be even more.

Haha, the Home Hub is seriously tempting, you guys are lucky you get all this cool stuff, we don't get them here in South Africa, unfortunately, yet we have a market that is fast growing for smart home appliances.
Both the home hub and the chromebook are tempting. I’ll have to wait until a few reviews come out to see what the phone is like. Would be nice if duplex was available in the UK. That would given me more of an incentive. A shame they didn’t mention anything about desktop mode yesterday.

However a phone with a good camera and a chromebook for £399 isn’t a bad deal at all. The chromebook deal runs until the 4/6 so a good while to decide yet.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Both the home hub and the chromebook are tempting. I’ll have to wait until a few reviews come out to see what the phone is like. Would be nice if duplex was available in the UK. That would given me more of an incentive. A shame they didn’t mention anything about desktop mode yesterday.

However a phone with a good camera and a chromebook for £399 isn’t a bad deal at all. The chromebook deal runs until the 4/6 so a good while to decide yet.

I already have a Chromebook that replaced my iPad (which I love) otherwise I'd have had a look into that deal myself.
Crazy order bonuses really!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I already have a Chromebook that replaced my iPad (which I love) otherwise I'd have had a look into that deal myself.
Crazy order bonuses really!
I have a MacBook Air but before that I had the Samsung series 3 chromebook and I loved it. The deal seems to good to pass up lol

Reactions: Aneres11

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
They all have their strengths and weaknesses but the the price of the Pixel is pretty compelling for such a good camera.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I'm tempted again seeing reviews and that damn Google hub which I actually asked my partner to get me for my birthday next week.

I will look into reviews further on the XL but I absolutely love the size of my reg 3 it's just the battery.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
This is quite cool.

The Pixel 3a series was developed primarily by Google's HTC team

Google's HTC team led development for the first time

Since the launch of the original Pixel and Pixel XL back in 2016, Google has had a pretty close relationship with HTC. After designing and developing the first-gen flagships on its own, the internet giant put the latter in charge of manufacturing both devices. A similar agreement happened in 2017 when HTC was granted a contract to produce the regular Pixel 2.

Throughout this process, Google noticed the value that HTC’s smartphone know-how brought to the table. Eventually, this led to a deal worth $1.1 billion in which the Silicon Valley-based giant would acquire HTC’s phone engineering assets and intellectual property. And it is here that the Pixel 3a’s story begins.

Shortly after the transaction was completed in early 2018 and the businesses had been fully integrated, Google assigned development of the Pixel 3a and Pixel 3a XL to its newly-acquired HTC team. Google’s original design team did have some input, as is to be expected, but “the lion’s share of the work” took place in Taiwan. According to Vice President of Product Management Brian Rakowski, the Pixel 3a project was the first one “led from a hardware and software perspective by the HTC team.”
https://www.phonearena.com/news/Google-Pixel-3a-design-HTC-team_id115860

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Well the 3a is going back for the following reaons:
Size, I thought I wanted a smaller phone coming from the XS Max...I don't
Wireless charging. I knew going in it didn't have it thought I could get it to work around but it's just too cumbersome for my personal needs (car, work, deal, etc)

Honestly that is all and it's very personal. This device is amazing. Feels fantastic in the hand, light bit feels quality, screen is great, camera is amazing, and man do I love me some Google assistant!! ( I have 3 hubs and over 6 minis in my house)

This is a killer device for this price but for me I want an XL and will try to find a good deal on a 3XL until the 4 comes out.

Great device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.