Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Objectivist-C

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2006
It’s my understanding that the RX 5700 XT is working in Catalina and doesn’t require power supply modding. Is there any consensus on which manufacturer/model is best? Besides avoiding blower-cooled cards, I mean.

Reactions: Emen Mali

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
It’s my understanding that the RX 5700 XT is working in Catalina and doesn’t require power supply modding. Is there any consensus on which manufacturer/model is best? Besides avoiding blower-cooled cards, I mean.

Depends on your own "doesn’t require power supply modding" definition.

As per Tom's Hardware's review, the 5700XT can up to draw 59.5+118.5=178W from the aux power.
CJ2C34yUk8A6UzzkxtPcNi-650-80.png

Which means, even though you perfectly balance the power draw between mini 6pins. It still draws ~90W from each of them. Which is above 75W (standard 6pin official limit). Of course, we have no idea if the mini 6pin follow the standard 6pin limit. However, Apple really never ever use any graphic card on the cMP that can draw more than 75W from any mini 6pin.

So, if you care about this 75W "limit", then you need power mod.

However, since we know each mini 6pin can deliver up to about 120W before shutdown protection kicks in. Therefore, if you only care about "real world limit", then no, you don't need power mod.

Reactions: bax2003

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013

I was considering the pulse version at first but after looking at its peak power limits in other reviews, I decided to go for the anniversary edition which I will be receiving in a couple of days. I plan on carrying out the washer mod and using better thermal pads to solve the heat/noise issue, which have been reported under Windows with heavy utilization / torture tests.

Most of the reviews/tests of the reference cards were carried on PCs and under Windows. The only one I could find on a cMP 5,1 was https://barefeats.com/cmp-5700-xt-vs-other-gpus.html

I'll create a separate thread with photos, materials, power and heat readings.

Last edited:

geo88

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2019
Nashville, USA
I have the Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 570 4GB (the newer one, SKU# 11266-67) in my Mac Pro 4,1 > 5,1. Looks great, is very quiet. Super easy install. No problems really, other than the lack of EFI boot. It draws power from a dual mini 6 pin to 8 pin power cable. I was able to update from High Sierra to Mojave without much fiddling around.

The 570 is connected to a UHD TV via a DisplayPort > HDMI adaptor cable from Club which seems to provide the best resolution and color depth. HDMI audio is working without any system modifications.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
Hi all. Just thought I would share the card my hubby just bought me for my 2009cMP as I wanted Mojave, but the good ole 5770 just couldn’t do it.

My Jeff (Macman45) got me a Gigabyte Radeon RX 560 Gaming OC V2 4096MB GDDR5 from OCUK, and it works lovely. Ordered on Friday with DPD Mon-Fri, but delivery arrived safely onm Saturday, with the trademark little bag of Haribo :). Wasn’t overly expensive, including delivery was just under £140.

I was on High Sierra, ran the Mojave firmware update (admittedly blind cos I had taken out the 5770), and the upgraded to Mojave without any issues.

I am one very happy bunny. Only wish I could find a pair of de-lidded Hex Xeons now lol

Now I am not planning to play any games, but I guess this card would run 1440p ok. I only have 60Hz ans am happy. Maybe I will put steam on it later.

Anyways thats the only useful bit of info for prospective new Radeon purchasers.

Friendly

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2019
BC, Canada
I'm suffering information overload and need some help to uncross my eyes. as mentioned on my page 9 post, I inherited two 2008 Mac Pro's running 10.11.x and I'd like to upgrade the GPU's from the 8800GT's to something newer that I know won't have any issues with running modern video codec's, formats or GPU accelerated web-content, etc.

what would you recommend that's readily available and inexpensive and better than the UHD630? the bloody 8800GT is literally 50% the performance! >.< I would prefer to have DVI output as I also got two 27" 1080p Apple displays with these towers as well.

edit - any info on older entry level Quadro's that are compatible?

edit 2 - oooh, one of my workmate says he's got a bunch of GTX 670's without HSF (they were water cooled). how would these be? I can work out the cooler issue I think. :) they're EVGA FTW, so use the upgraded GTX 680 reference cooler. they also have a GTX 560...thoughts on that?

Last edited:

mani girafe

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2016
FRANCE
Does anyone have recommendations for a good DVD bay power supply? Or for a viable external secondary power supply?

I currently have an nVidia GTX 1070 8GB from MVC in my cMP5,1 and I love this card, but of course I cannot run Mojave. I am considering a new AMD card of equal or better performance, but any such card will need additional power.

I'm trying to find a reasonably plug and play solution that doesn't require modifying the Mac, so a DVD bay power supply would be ideal. All of my searches for these have found only older equipment that is no longer for sale.

Many thanks!
https://www.amazon.fr/250W-alimenta...EZAKMBFT7TZ&psc=1&refRID=NN7F3T7PWEZAKMBFT7TZ

I dont know if the dimensions are ok

Friendly

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2019
BC, Canada
I'm suffering information overload and need some help to uncross my eyes. as mentioned on my page 9 post, I inherited two 2008 Mac Pro's running 10.11.x and I'd like to upgrade the GPU's from the 8800GT's to something newer that I know won't have any issues with running modern video codec's, formats or GPU accelerated web-content, etc.

what would you recommend that's readily available and inexpensive and better than the UHD630? the bloody 8800GT is literally 50% the performance! >.< I would prefer to have DVI output as I also got two 27" 1080p Apple displays with these towers as well.

edit - any info on older entry level Quadro's that are compatible?

edit 2 - oooh, one of my workmate says he's got a bunch of GTX 670's without HSF (they were water cooled). how would these be? I can work out the cooler issue I think. :) they're EVGA FTW, so use the upgraded GTX 680 reference cooler. they also have a GTX 560...thoughts on that?
just a bump to hopefully get an answer.

conversly, it looks like buying a something like a GTX 650 would be better, they're about $30 CAD, which is half the cost of the GPU HSF from Arctic Cooling the 670 FTW's would need...and I'd have the power available. would a 650 work?

Reindeer_Games

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2018
Pueblo, CO
would a 650 work?

Yes, a GT 650 would work; they are Kepler based.

However, a GTX 680 can easily be flashed to provide boot screen and would be one of the more powerful NVIDIA chipsets available supported up to Mojave for the MP 4,1/5,1. I am not as familiar with the MP 3,1's though-but believe there have been machines successfully upgraded to more modern MacOS builds such as Mojave.

Here is a helpful link that you can search GPU's based on chipsets; sort by architecture-Kepler:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/?sort=name

Last edited:

Friendly

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2019
BC, Canada
Yes, a GT 650 would work; they are Kepler based.

However, a GTX 680 can easily be flashed to provide boot screen and would be one of the more powerful NVIDIA chipsets available supported up to Mojave for the MP 4,1/5,1. I am not as familiar with the MP 3,1's though-but believe there have been machines successfully upgraded to more modern MacOS builds such as Mojave.

Here is a helpful link that you can search GPU's based on chipsets; sort by architecture-Kepler:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/?sort=name
yes...I'm just wary of dropping so much $$$ into an PC that's almost 12 years old. I'm also uncertain about whether the PSU can provide the 2x 8pin aux power connectors as the 8800GT and 1900XT only required 1x 6pin aux power.

I scored 16x 4GB FB RAM for free and have a couple smaller 2.5" SSD's lying around, so can make them decent web surfers, which don't really need anything like a 670 FTW.

and yes, there are 3.1's running Catalina with an SSE4 emulator and newer Radeon RX GPU's...but I've not looked deeply into it.

Reactions: tomsmods

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Does anyone know of an rx 550 2gb is Mac compatible? I only saw the 4gb listed

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
Does anyone know of an rx 550 2gb is Mac compatible? I only saw the 4gb listed
Based on a discussion on Facebook I don’t think it works out of the box. At least some don’t.
Based on that post this is what I understand
0x669F = 550 — not working ootb
0x06ff = 550 with a 560 ID — works ootb

Reactions: Ih8reno

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Does anyone here have the macvidcards AMD Radeon VEGA 56 working in their 5,1 mac pro ? Can you give me a review of its performance ? boot sceen ? noise levels ? pixlas mod ?

Last edited:

wallah

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
MSI Radeon RX 560 AERO ITX 2G OC Gaming, device 0x67ff - Can confirm that I bought this card new on Amazon for around $150 CAD and installed it successfully on my cMP 5,1.

After the forum-recommended bootrom updates, I stuck it in and it works perfectly OOTB. Quieter upgrade from my Radeon 5870, and now I have two 6-pin cables free to use on whatever (as expected, no boot screen which matters none to me).

Looks like a good economical, quiet Metal card if you just need that. My delivery was set for Tues but if came 4 days earlier on the Friday which was a perfect time to giver 'er a clean and install the card. Very happy!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 5.31.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 5.31.33 PM.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2006
I just wonder: isn't it possible to run two monitors on a 5,1 with a Sapphire Radeon RX580 in two different resolutions when both monitors are connected to a HDMI port?

Last edited:

Snapshot75

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2020
Hey all, wasn’t super successful in finding a thread perfectly suited for this situation so I’m gonna drop it here. i pimped out a 5,1 pixlas, NVME card, usb 3 and 3.1. I was running a Radeon 7 and was happy with its rendering prowess but i also like to get my Warcraft on. The 7 is crap for WOW but that’s not its intended purpose i get that. So i picked up a used Vega FE and WOW screams on that card.

So here is my issue number 1: i upgraded to a 4K monitor and when i benchmarked it with heaven the card freaks out when it gets halfway threw the benchmark. Fan maxes out then the screen goes black. I have tried a few times with same result.

issue 2, i tried to reset my P-ram and it wont give me the reset chime.

edit*** the card is set to low power mode

this seams like its a bad card or a power issue.
Is it possible to have done a bad pixlas mod but have it still work?
any thoughts of suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Matthew

**********solved the issue, I figured it had to be power so I removed one of two PCIe usb c cards and all is well*******

Last edited:

cflem

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
Texas
HELP! I have a 2009 cMP 4,1 flashed to 5,1... I have a 5770 in it for the mDP port... I run a 27" Cinema Display.

I need a metal compatible card... with Mini DisplayPort... so I can go Mojave... there has to be a few... There is information overload on the chart in the first post. Can someone thats WAY more of an expert that me give me some options, please?

Thank you!!!!

Snapshot75

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2020
HELP! I have a 2009 cMP 4,1 flashed to 5,1... I have a 5770 in it for the mDP port... I run a 27" Cinema Display.

I need a metal compatible card... with Mini DisplayPort... so I can go Mojave... there has to be a few... There is information overload on the chart in the first post. Can someone thats WAY more of an expert that me give me some options, please?

Thank you!!!!
Real simple solution is an adapter from mini to full display then you can choose most AMD cards.

Reactions: cflem and h9826790

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
some options, please?
I think you will find most people are very happy with the Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB. I am. Somewhat affordable. Come with 2 DP and 2 HDMI and 1 DVI port. Get an inexpensive DP to miniDP adapter (like less than $15 US) and that should do it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.