Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

mechanize

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2020
United Kingdom
I guess these are all metal supported GPUs:

• ATI Radeon RX 550 4 Gb
  • MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560 4 Gb version with 128 bit 4 Gb memory
  • Nvidia Quadro K4200 4 Gb
  • ATI Radeon HD 7950 3 Gb
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 680 2 Gb
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 680 4 Gb
  • SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 8
  • AMD Radeon RX 590 8 GB

Pending

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
I guess these are all metal supported GPUs:

• ATI Radeon RX 550 4 Gb
  • MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560 4 Gb version with 128 bit 4 Gb memory
  • Nvidia Quadro K4200 4 Gb
  • ATI Radeon HD 7950 3 Gb
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 680 2 Gb
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 680 4 Gb
  • SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 8
  • AMD Radeon RX 590 8 GB
There is a full list of Metal supported GPUs on the very first post with additional details the OP kindly added.

Rossthephotographer

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
UK
This has been a really informative page for reference - thanks. I am still deliberating my choices though for my 5,1 Mac Pro 12 core.

I was planning on getting a AMD Radeon RX 580 8 GB, but from the list above it says it needs extra power and I have also read that people have found their Mac stalls when using it. I guess this is when they are pushing the card and it goes beyond the power capabilities of the MP?

Currently I have NVIDIA PNY GeForce GTX 680 2048MB and also a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4095MB. I understand though that the latter is not compatible with Mojave. Both cards use two six pin connectors.

I don't really want to stick with a 2GB card, but I don't want to mod my Mac for more power.

I'm a photographer, I don't play games, but I do do some video editing in iMovie and might down the line use Final Cut or something like that.

Q1: What would you say is the best card for me to give me a bit more graphics power without the hassles of modding the power supply or sending cards off to be flashed etc? And to allow me to use Mojave

Q2: Alternatively, if possible I'd like to upgrade the BootROM firmware to 144.0.0.0.0., but then go back to El Capitan so I can continue using my NVIDIA 4GB GPU. I then wouldn't have to update a load of software or buy another GPU. Is this possible?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
This has been a really informative page for reference - thanks. I am still deliberating my choices though for my 5,1 Mac Pro 12 core.

I was planning on getting a AMD Radeon RX 580 8 GB, but from the list above it says it needs extra power and I have also read that people have found their Mac stalls when using it. I guess this is when they are pushing the card and it goes beyond the power capabilities of the MP?

Currently I have NVIDIA PNY GeForce GTX 680 2048MB and also a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4095MB. I understand though that the latter is not compatible with Mojave. Both cards use two six pin connectors.

I don't really want to stick with a 2GB card, but I don't want to mod my Mac for more power.

I'm a photographer, I don't play games, but I do do some video editing in iMovie and might down the line use Final Cut or something like that.

Q1: What would you say is the best card for me to give me a bit more graphics power without the hassles of modding the power supply or sending cards off to be flashed etc? And to allow me to use Mojave

Q2: Alternatively, if possible I'd like to upgrade the BootROM firmware to 144.0.0.0.0., but then go back to El Capitan so I can continue using my NVIDIA 4GB GPU. I then wouldn't have to update a load of software or buy another GPU. Is this possible?
Stick with Apple recommend list of GPUs, all of them will work with the backplane power connections. No need to mod anything. Learn about graphics cards supported in macOS 10.14 Mojave on Mac Pro (2010) and Mac Pro (Mid 2012):

• MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560 128-bit 4GB GDRR5
  • SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5
A Sapphire Pulse RX 580 will just need a dual mini-PCIe 6-pin to 8-pin cable. MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560 will need just one 6-pin connection, AERO ITX 4G OC don't even need additional power,
but it's a very weak card for FCPx.

Some RX 580 made for overclockers (like Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580) or cards made specifically for Dell workstations use (Dell RX 480 and RX 580) won't work, but most others will be fine with a MP5,1.

You can boot 10.11.6 with 144.0.0.0.0 no problem, but almost all, if not all, modern GPUs won't work with it anymore and you will have to replace the GPU every time.

You can't mix NVIDIA and AMD GPUs with Mojave, if you thought of that, btw.

Last edited:

Rossthephotographer

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
UK
Stick with Apple recommend list of GPUs, all of them will work with the backplane power connections. No need to mod anything. Learn about graphics cards supported in macOS 10.14 Mojave on Mac Pro (2010) and Mac Pro (Mid 2012):

• MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560 128-bit 4GB GDRR5
  • SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5
A Sapphire Pulse RX 580 will just need a dual mini-PCIe 6-pin to 8-pin cable. MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560 will need just one 6-pin connection, AERO ITX 4G OC don't even need additional power,
but it's a very weak card for FCPx.

Some RX 580 made for overclockers (like Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580) or cards made specifically for Dell workstations use (Dell RX 480 and RX 580) won't work, but most others will be fine with a MP5,1.

You can boot 10.11.6 with 144.0.0.0.0 no problem, but almost all, if not all, modern GPUs won't work with it anymore and you will have to replace the GPU every time.

You can't mix NVIDIA and AMD GPUs with Mojave, if you thought of that, btw.

1. So to power the SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5 I could use one of these? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._title_1?tag=macrumors-20&smid=A3KOUHYUNS6C1J Am I likely to ever risk crash the system if I push the card hard? On the first page of this thread it says: "Additional power is recommended, as minimum - from SATA port."
  2. So, as an example, one of my 5,1 machines I have just updated the BootROM to 144.0.0.0.0 and am now on Mojave. That machine has my NVIDIA PNY GeForce GTX 680 2048MB installed. If I tried to swap it out for the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4095MB, and then boot from another drive with El Capitan, I wouldn't get anything on screen because of the updated BootROM? Currently the above GPU is being used with El Capitan (on another 5,1 machine) and Boot ROM:MP51.007F.B03
Thank you.

Last edited:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
  1. So to power the SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5 I could use one of these? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._title_1?tag=macrumors-20&smid=A3KOUHYUNS6C1J Am I likely to ever risk crash the system if I push the card hard? On the first page of this thread it says: "Additional power is recommended, as minimum - from SATA port."

Additional power is for the models that are 8 pins + 6 pins. It's REALLY not hard to find straight 8 PIN models that are easily powered via dual MINI 6 PIN to STANDARD 8 PIN cable.

FWIW, the Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB I own is an 8 PIN GPU:

Rossthephotographer

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
UK
Additional power is for the models that are 8 pins + 6 pins. It's REALLY not hard to find straight 8 PIN models that are easily powered via dual MINI 6 PIN to STANDARD 8 PIN cable.

FWIW, the Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB I own is an 8 PIN GPU:

Thanks, that's reassuring. I have also come across this guy on YouTube and he gives lots of useful info too:

Reactions: wallah

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
So, as an example, one of my 5,1 machines I have just updated the BootROM to 144.0.0.0.0 and am now on Mojave. That machine has my NVIDIA PNY GeForce GTX 680 2048MB installed. If I tried to swap it out for the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4095MB, and then boot from another drive with El Capitan, I wouldn't get anything on screen because of the updated BootROM? Currently the above GPU is being used with El Capitan (on another 5,1 machine) and Boot ROM:MP51.007F.B03
Thank you.
BootROM version has nothing to do with NVIDIA GPU support. Did you re-enabled the NVIDIA web drivers again?

Install your GTX 680, then re-enable the web drivers with El Capitan. After that you can install the GTX 980.

A GTX 980 won't show a screen without the web drivers working, while a GTX 680 can always fall back to the Apple native NVIDIA Kepler drivers. Maxwell GPUs are not supported with Apple native NVIDIA drivers.

Reactions: h9826790

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
An overall note - there has been a major influx of people posting YouTube video links in this forum for things that REALLY need no further explanation. Swapping a GPU in MP5,1 is not rocket science. Using a dual mini 6 pin to standard 8 pin cable is extremely basic. The most complicated part is unclipping the cable(s) there currently. This is a fully supported setup that APPLE recommended for Mojave. No hacks involved. Read through Apple's own documentation:

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Swapping a GPU in MP5,1 is not rocket science. Using a dual mini 6 pin to standard 8 pin cable is extremely basic.
By which I think you mean "it's not complicated. At all."
Personally, I found the locking button on the fan assembly to be the most complicated. Which is to say the first time I did this I had to look in the manual to know what to do.
To reinforce what has been already said here, this is a very simple upgrade. I use the Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB, as recommended. It's been installed for over a year. For FCPX 4K work, I hardly hear it, if at all. I would do it again today, if I needed to. Just recommended to a friend who runs Adobe CC, as part of an overall system upgrade (580, CPU, memory, NVMe) and he is very happy.

Pending

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
Just received a Gigabyte RX Vega 56 and along with tsialex's suggestion of adding the EVGA PowerLink,
pleased to say Mojave installed and is running sweet, as is Bootcamp Windows 10. So a big thanks to tsialex.

Rossthephotographer

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
UK
An overall note - there has been a major influx of people posting YouTube video links in this forum for things that REALLY need no further explanation. Swapping a GPU in MP5,1 is not rocket science. Using a dual mini 6 pin to standard 8 pin cable is extremely basic. The most complicated part is unclipping the cable(s) there currently. This is a fully supported setup that APPLE recommended for Mojave. No hacks involved. Read through Apple's own documentation:

Completely disagree. Unless you are suggesting beginners have no place on this forum, I think that video is very useful. For example I can see which GPU is being used and that it is compatible, how big the GPU is in the mac pro, I can see how much power it uses, what the cables look like, links to the products so I don't buy the wrong one, as many products look very alike for people new to this. Maybe many people on here might know all this stuff, but clearly I needed it, so doesn't that make it useful for someone else like me on this forum? I remember once when I was terrified to change a GPU as I was worried I might zap it with static or damage the connector taking it out. I also didn't know about the retaining bar and how to retract it.

I could easily buy the wrong version of a GPU, buy one that draws too much power, get the wrong cable or wonder why my screen won't show on boot.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
There is nothing wrong with people wanting to learn more or seeking answers, regardless of skill level. ALL of the answers for MP5,1 GPU upgrades to Mojave are CLEARLY outlined in posts on this forum, including exact GPU models and power cables to use. On top of that APPLE THEMSELVES clearly outlines specific GPUs in their own support documentation. It does not get much more transparent or official than that.

There absolutely is no need for YouTube video links to "explain" the procedure for upgrading a GPU in MP5,1. Nothing but more than helping inflate hit/viewer numbers in an attempt to get ad revenue, assisted by the way this forum is now linking them.

Reactions: kohlson

Rossthephotographer

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
UK
BootROM version has nothing to do with NVIDIA GPU support. Did you re-enabled the NVIDIA web drivers again?

Install your GTX 680, then re-enable the web drivers with El Capitan. After that you can install the GTX 980.

A GTX 980 won't show a screen without the web drivers working, while a GTX 680 can always fall back to the Apple native NVIDIA Kepler drivers. Maxwell GPUs are not supported with Apple native NVIDIA drivers.

I think I'll just abandon the idea of using the NVIDIA 970 in El Capitan now as I have ordered the Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB. I'll sell the 970.

The reason I was questioning the BootROM version was because I heard it unlocks speed toSamsung 970 NVMes. So I was trying to have the best of both worlds; update the BootROM to get the speed of the NVMes, whilst still staying on El Capitan a bit longer so I could still use older media software like Adobe CS5 and some other software that I would otherwise have to update (more money) with Mojave.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I think I'll just abandon the idea of using the NVIDIA 970 in El Capitan now as I have ordered the Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB. I'll sell the 970.

The reason I was questioning the BootROM version was because I heard it unlocks speed toSamsung 970 NVMes. So I was trying to have the best of both worlds; update the BootROM to get the speed of the NVMes, whilst still staying on El Capitan a bit longer so I could still use older media software like Adobe CS5 and some other software that I would otherwise have to update (more money) with Mojave.
If that's your idea, it's flawed from the beginning since El Capitan only support Apple NVMe SSDs. Only High Sierra onwards have support for Samsung consumer NVMe SSDs like 970 PRO or 970 EVO.

Read the first post of the thread:

Blade SSDs - NVMe & AHCI

Rossthephotographer

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
UK
If that's your idea, it's flawed from the beginning since El Capitan only support Apple NVMe SSDs. Only High Sierra onwards have support for Samsung consumer NVMe SSDs like 970 PRO or 970 EVO.

Read the first post of the thread:

Blade SSDs - NVMe & AHCI

I have been looking at that thread, but this past few days I've felt a bit overwhelmed by all the information, cross referencing a lot of things, and then I post in the wrong thread or something. Ok I'll update to Mojave on my main machine, and either update my software, or see if I can use another machine to run older software to avoid having to update and spend more money.

I spent a long time working out if the 970 blade I wanted to get would be compatible. I've ordered the 2TB EVO 970 Plus so I can have space for another blade later on (instead of 2x 1TB EVO 970). It looks like at first it wasn't compatible, then the BootROM update made it compatible.

Last edited:

Rossthephotographer

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
UK
There is nothing wrong with people wanting to learn more or seeking answers, regardless of skill level. ALL of the answers for MP5,1 GPU upgrades to Mojave are CLEARLY outlined in posts on this forum, including exact GPU models and power cables to use. On top of that APPLE THEMSELVES clearly outlines specific GPUs in their own support documentation. It does not get much more transparent or official than that.

There absolutely is no need for YouTube video links to "explain" the procedure for upgrading a GPU in MP5,1. Nothing but more than helping inflate hit/viewer numbers in an attempt to get ad revenue, assisted by the way this forum is now linking them.

Well I’m very sorry that when planning on spending £800 on Mac Pro upgrades I don’t just *know* this stuff.

I guess I must be very stupid not to have this all worked out and immediately understand all the technical terms and processes required when dealing with updating my Mac. Or maybe I am just very thorough and am trying to make sure I get it right first time, so am asking a few extra questions.

Lots of differing opinions out there and also outdated information on this forum as I have found, as technology moves on and things change.

It’s not just about a GPU either, it’s if I do this how does it affect that?

Considerations have been:
If I update the OS; the graphics card won’t work and neither will some software, that means more money, is there another way?
If I install NVMe blades, will they be recognised on boot and will they run at full speed?
Can they work or do I have to update something to use the NVMes?
What card should I get to hold the NVMes as some seem to offer better speed and cooling?
Will the new GPU be too powerful or is that only the Nitro edition? what is the difference anyway?
Will the new GPU block one of the PCIe slots that I need to use for something else?
Do the cables carry 75W or 150W each like some people have argued over?

I found that video very useful because I could visually see how much room the card took up, it talked about it’s power draw and I could see it working. Being dyslexic (and yes I have proof read this post about 6 times) means that me watching a video is much more useful than wading through pages and pages of information and there not always being agreeance on compatibility on components and software. And I have already spent many hours on here trying to get conclusive answers on things because I don’t want to screw up my Mac or buy the wrong thing.

Sorry for posting a video which I think is useful for people on here (like me) and you think is dumb, and some YouTuber is just making it to make money (how dare they!).

This is why I don’t like using computer forums much, because of this know it all attitude. But hey, I guess I don’t know enough and am not doing things right, so can’t be ‘in the gang.’ What an excellent way to welcome newcomers to the forum; write in CAPS to indicate how dumb you think they are.

Flocarino

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Just received a Gigabyte RX Vega 56 and along with tsialex's suggestion of adding the EVGA PowerLink,
pleased to say Mojave installed and is running sweet, as is Bootcamp Windows 10. So a big thanks to tsialex.

Does it take more than 2 PCIe slots?
Can you post a pic (if possible) of the card setup inside the MacPro? I'm curious about all the power cables (4 of them, I presume)..Thank you

Pending

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
Does it take more than 2 PCIe slots?
Can you post a pic (if possible) of the card setup inside the MacPro? I'm curious about all the power cables (4 of them, I presume)..Thank you

Here is a photo so you can see space left, PowerLink and the 2 cables used are 2 x 6 Pin mini from the Mac to 2 x 6 pin going into the 2 x 8 Pin sockets, they go to to one side of each 8 pin socket.
Go to thread page (link below) post 55 for the original chat I had with tsialex about this (you were there too at post number 52).

Attachments

• IMG_4173.jpg
    IMG_4173.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 154

Rossthephotographer

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
UK
but the RX580 will not work in el capitan - drivers are from sierra upwards!
Oh that's annoying. There always seems to be some caveat somewhere. I guess I'll have to use another machine if I plan to use ElCapitan. I don't really fancy keep swapping GPUs around in my main machine so I can use El Capitan and older software.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Which software won’t work in Sierra (min for RX580)?
I have PS CS5, which works.
You just need to install the legacy java runtime.

But tbh I have replaced it with Affinity Photo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.