Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Objectivist-C

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2006
That's the card's protection. You can't power it up until all pins are connected.

If you already have a "dual mini 6pin to single 8pin", you can get another "single 8pin FEMALE to DUAL 6+2pin". So that you can use them in combination to power your GTX780.

Thanks.

What would been the “correct” way to do this from the outset? A single 6-pin mini to 8-pin cable?

Would it be worth it to just keep using the two backplane connectors for the 8-pin port and tap a couple of SATA ports for the 6-pin?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi Pentaxer. Thanks for telling me about the performance drop in parallels. That rather sucks. I'm currently in windows 8 via boot camp but cannot find any boot camp apps or the screen that H9826790 posted. I tried searching and came up with nothing. Again I'm not very tech savvy so if you have time would you mind going step by step on how to find them?

Thanks,

David

The guide is here, you don't need to re-install Windows, just download Bootcamp and install it will be fine.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ut-a-boot-screen.2114788/page-9#post-26689280

Reactions: Pentaxer

mrt209

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
USA/Germany
Just got this email:

Hi,

Thanks for your previous inquiry. Good news! MacVidCards will be selling RX 580 and flashing service for them.

PLease keep an eye on our blog as we will be annouyncoing this sertvice in the next 2 weeks.

Thanks again

The MacVidCards Team

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Considering you can get a brand new RX580 for under $160 if you shop around AND flat out works out of the box in MP5,1 without major issues in Mojave AND is Apple-approved, not sure how beneficial this “service” will actually be. Guess we’ll first see the price/cost. I’m sure it’ll help some people out, somewhere.

Objectivist-C

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2006
The point is to add support for the bootscreen, which is needed for FileVault.

e: also I just bought an RX 580 instead of screwing around with the GTX 780. Hopefully MVC isn’t blowing smoke about having a boot screen ROM cooking for it.

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
The point is to add support for the bootscreen, which is needed for FileVault.

e: also I just bought an RX 580 instead of screwing around with the GTX 780. Hopefully MVC isn’t blowing smoke about having a boot screen ROM cooking for it.

FileVault is not supported for cMP in Mojave anyway regardless if there is any Mac EFI UGA.

sailmac

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
@Pentaxer while skimming the Mac Pro forum I noticed this thread started by @tsialex telling about a patch by @netkas "to make AMD Polaris cards to work with MP3,1 Xeon, emulating a SSE4.2 instruction needed by the AMD METAL driver for Polaris cards."

Is this worth noting under 6.2 or 7.x on the first page of this wiki?

I no longer have a 3,1 so haven't tried the solution myself, but thought it is interesting.

Reactions: Pentaxer

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
@Pentaxer while skimming the Mac Pro forum I noticed this thread started by @tsialex telling about a patch by @netkas "to make AMD Polaris cards to work with MP3,1 Xeon, emulating a SSE4.2 instruction needed by the AMD METAL driver for Polaris cards."

Is this worth noting under 6.2 or 7.x on the first page of this wiki?

I no longer have a 3,1 so haven't tried the solution myself, but thought it is interesting.
It does work but only for 10.14.5 at this time.

Objectivist-C

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2006
I noticed that iStat menu was reporting the power draw of my RX 580 as 268W under load. Is that OK or should I look at buying a PowerLink and tapping SATA ports for extra power?

Objectivist-C

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2006
From iStat Menus 6:

5sfh5l7.png

I don't know how accurate it is.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
From iStat Menus 6:

5sfh5l7.png

I don't know how accurate it is.

Just updated iStat, I can 100% confirm this power reading is NOT accurate.

To determine the power draw. Go to the Sensor's page, and check the actual current of "PCIe slot + PCIe Boost 12V".

e.g. I just ran some benchmarks on my RX580. 5A from the slot, and 5A from each PCIe Boost.

So, total 15A. (iStat reading)

15A x 12V = 180W

But that wattage reading is 287W (also form iStat). Obviously way above the RX580's spec.

Apparently that wattage reading is from ioreg. And from my observation, that's erroneous for our GPU.
Screenshot 2019-06-27 at 2.51.35 PM.png

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
I still have a drawer full of old Quadro K4200 cards sitting around, pulled from some de-commissioned Windows workstations (or replaced with GTX 980 Ti's and Titan X's for GPU rendering). I never knew what to do with those things, except maybe use them to upgrade the graphics on some of our admin / development Windows boxes.

After successfully testing a spare Quadro K5000 card in a Mac Pro running Mojave, I wondered if Apple's Kepler drivers would also work for the K4200. Lo and behold, they do! So, I guess is someone wants a single slot graphics card that will work in Mojave and only needs 1x 6-pin aux power, this could be the card for you. Besides not having the boot screen, the other downside is the mediocre performance: about on par with the Radeon RX 560, according to the GPU UserBenchmarks page. I have a few users who use their Mac Pro towers strictly for development work, so this could be a good solution for them.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
I still have a drawer full of old Quadro K4200 cards sitting around, pulled from some de-commissioned Windows workstations (or replaced with GTX 980 Ti's and Titan X's for GPU rendering). I never knew what to do with those things, except maybe use them to upgrade the graphics on some of our admin / development Windows boxes.

After successfully testing a spare Quadro K5000 card in a Mac Pro running Mojave, I wondered if Apple's Kepler drivers would also work for the K4200. Lo and behold, they do! So, I guess is someone wants a single slot graphics card that will work in Mojave and only needs 1x 6-pin aux power, this could be the card for you. Besides not having the boot screen, the other downside is the mediocre performance: about on par with the Radeon RX 560, according to the GPU UserBenchmarks page. I have a few users who use their Mac Pro towers strictly for development work, so this could be a good solution for them.

im pretty sure MVC even developed a ROM for the K4200 on request of a specific customer :)

so you may be able to get them flashed too :) http://www.macvidcards.com/store/p81/Nvidia_Flashing_Services.html

Pentaxer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2018
Russia
Must work because it\s a simple OC version of simple RX 580. But there are no reply now.

MapleGreen

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2019
Must work because it\s a simple OC version of simple RX 580. But there are no reply now.
It is one the best in energy consumption and one of the lowest width in RX580 models, and with Asus top of the line build quality.
I think it is underrated in mac pro world

zoomfinder

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2015
Hi all,
I’m getting a lot of buzz about RTX2080 lately but can we expect it to run on cMP? Or still no NVIDIA entirely? Thnx

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I have a question h9826790 :
In Windows, why the RTX cards can't work in Legacy mode?

Sorry, I missed the post about this.

You tried that?

For RTX card, you can hold Option to boot and then choose Windows to see what's happening. Is there any warning / error message from Windows?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.