Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy the Sapphire rx580. I'm currently running the 23", 30", 20" Cinema Displays with a R9 280 card. Can I run the 30" with the RX580's Displayport? Is the DP dual-link? Thank you in advance.

always good to look at the product page for the card
https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/pulse-rx-580-8g-g5#4834C212DC7848AAAA26663C0BAF2B1D
Resolution
  • DisplayPort: 5120×2880@60Hz
  • HDMI: 4096×2160@60Hz
  • DVI:2560x1600@60Hz
Output
  • 1x DVI-D
  • 2x HDMI
  • 2x DisplayPort 1.4

thats the pulse RX 580

Awediohead

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2013
Just wanting to double check something please: Mostly out of sentiment I've had a bit of fun upgrading my original 1,1 Mac Pro. It's been running El Capitan for years, but more recently I upgraded the firmware to 2,1 added more RAM and installed dual 3.0GHz quad core Xeons (as they're dirt cheap these days) and I have a Sapphire Radeon 5790 GHz edition Vapor-X installed because a friend had it going spare after they upgraded their gaming PC.

I followed the instructions on netkas and I flashed it with the 7950 mac rom - but I'm not seeing boot screens it just goes straight to the desktop. Is this because its the 32bit EFI not playing with the 64bit on the card as warned about in the quote from the OP below, or is it because I haven't actually flashed it correctly? Honestly I hope I've done it wrong as I can redo it - if its another problem with the 1,1 32bit EFI then it might be time just to install Linux on it.

6.1. For MacPro 1.1 - 2.1: ATI Radeon hd 5770, Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT.
Note: these cMP have 32 bit EFI and don’t show the Boot Screen on modern GPU with 64 bit EFI.

Most of the many dozens of threads I've read here and elsewhere very reasonably assume that this card is being installed in at least a 3,1 and more normally a 5,1 cMP so this issue wouldn't arise. BTW though I haven't pushed it, and have no intention of doing so, the card seems perfectly stable.

majus

Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
The NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Founders Edition (FE) uses an 8-pin power connector. Will using the dual mac 6 pins to 8 pins adapter work for this card in my Mac Pro 4,1-->5,1? It does not say in the first post of this thread.

Reactions: branko76

dustwashere

macrumors member
May 27, 2019
Russia
AMD Radeon HD 7970 / R9 280X 3 Gb
guys, is there an option to buy R9 290X, not 280. may be compatibility issues? is there an option to buy for a good price of $ 80. I look towards RX 580(and RX 570) but I really want a boot screen. (the difference in performance and price is not large, only the "age" of R9 290x is confusing)

Last edited:

dustwashere

macrumors member
May 27, 2019
Russia
Decided to buy RX570, sell cheap-70$, and he's not that old
It's not in the compatibility table, but it s almost RX580, so I guess it won't be a problem

Reactions: orph

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Decided to buy RX570, sell cheap-70$, and he's not that old
It's not in the compatibility table, but it s almost RX580, so I guess it won't be a problem

Apple specifically recommends RX560 and RX580 for MP5,1 for Mojave. At under $165 USD on sale, would just go Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB for anyone buying for MP5,1. Some (maybe many) RX570's work, but there have been reports of minor issues from some users when pushing them.

dustwashere

macrumors member
May 27, 2019
Russia
екеч
Apple specifically recommends RX560 and RX580 for MP5,1 for Mojave. At under $165 USD on sale, would just go Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB for anyone buying for MP5,1. Some (maybe many) RX570's work, but there have been reports of minor issues from some users when pushing them.
in my country, a new RX580 new costs at least $ 200, (a friend gives you RX570, so it’s such a low price) I googled the forum - I didn’t see any obvious problems with 570, but maybe it’s because of the Google translator(I translate your comment and the translator writes that 570 has problems if you "when pushing them" , and I don’t understand what I mean)
I apologize if this is offtopic
UPD
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208898
here is a list of recommended for Mojave cards from Apple and 570 in the list
Снимок экрана 2019-08-15 в 20.48.40.png

Last edited:

majus

Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
The first post has this information about a card I just bought on eBay:
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition (FE)
Power consumption: 6 pins.

The card that arrived (GIGABYTE brand) has an 8 pin connector so I must need an adapter. What is the difference between the 6 pins to 6+2 pins and the dual 6 pins to 8 pins cables? Do they both provide the necessary power to a card with an 8 pin connector?

Last edited:

donzubeck

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2015
Warren,Mi.USA
I just got a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 and the fans stop spinning after it boots to the desktop. I reset the pram. reset the card and 8 pin plug. It is a new card. I put the old 5770 card back in and the fan spins in that one. Just wanted to check here and see if there’s anything else I should check before I return it for a new one. I tried it in 10.13.6 and 10.14.6, same thing happened the card works in both os just the fans stopping when it gets to the desktop. Does anybody have any ideas?

watakoola

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
Australia
I just got a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 and the fans stop spinning after it boots to the desktop. I reset the pram. reset the card and 8 pin plug. It is a new card. I put the old 5770 card back in and the fan spins in that one. Just wanted to check here and see if there’s anything else I should check before I return it for a new one. I tried it in 10.13.6 and 10.14.6, same thing happened the card works in both os just the fans stopping when it gets to the desktop. Does anybody have any ideas?
I chucked in a Radeon RX 580 8 GB a while ago and also noticed the fans hardly spun up. The original 5770 spun like a banshee, so my thought was the RX 580 is a far more efficient at heat management. Seriously, it doesn’t spin up much at all. I don't have any temp issues.

Or, are you saying it doesn’t spin EVER?

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
the fans stop spinning after it boots to the desktop.
Do they ever come on again? Have you tried rendering something, or handbrake or some thing similar? You can verify the GPU is "working" with Activity Monitor-GPU History.

In general, my RX580 doesn't make a lot of noise. I verified the fans run by taking the side ooff from the cMP and looking to see if they were spinning. I think there may be utilities that can tell you if the fans spin.

donzubeck

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2015
Warren,Mi.USA
Do they ever come on again? Have you tried rendering something, or handbrake or some thing similar? You can verify the GPU is "working" with Activity Monitor-GPU History.

In general, my RX580 doesn't make a lot of noise. I verified the fans run by taking the side ooff from the cMP and looking to see if they were spinning. I think there may be utilities that can tell you if the fans spin.
The fans stop spinning l looked at them. I just thought it strange they would stop. I only looked inside because I was getting freezing when I tried to start any games or running Logic Pro and GarageBand. I never let it go very long I was worried it would fry the card and then I couldn’t return it. That’s a good idea though. How long do you think it would take for the fan to start spinning with handbrake running something heavy task wise.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I seem to remember that AMD advertised something about this card that the fans runs very slowly, if at all, if the card isn't working.

I can get my card working pretty quickly, because I did the AMD Hardware acceleration thing mentioned elsewhere on MR - the 580 does more of the work. But I would try importing or rendering an iMovie. Be sure to have Activity Monitor GPU log up so you can see if the 580 is doing any work. I would imagine it would spin up within 10 seconds or so. In any event you can always dancel any action, or force quit.

There are several steps to return it after a certain period. But if you're concerned, I would put in for an RMA and get another.

dustwashere

macrumors member
May 27, 2019
Russia
I just got a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 and the fans stop spinning after it boots to the desktop. Does anybody have any ideas?
as far as I know,(read in some of the reviews) RX580, no load fans on the video card do not spin
they begin to spin under load. start the cinebench, it should load the video card

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
as far as I know,(read in some of the reviews) RX580, no load fans on the video card do not spin
they begin to spin under load. start the cinebench, it should load the video card

Cinebench only has very very light loading for GPU even you run the OpenGL test (only available for the older version). Latest CineBench only has CPU benchmark, no GPU benchmark.

Run Luxmark, Unigine Heaven / Valley, etc is so much easier to warm up the GPU, and trigger the fan to spin.

Reactions: dustwashere

dustwashere

macrumors member
May 27, 2019
Russia
Cinebench is a good CPU benchmark, but only very very light loading for GPU even you run the OpenGL test (only available for the older version).

Run Luxmark, Unigine Heaven / Valley, etc is so much easier to warm up the GPU, and trigger the fan to spin.
Thanks I'll know

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.