Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

donzubeck

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2015
Warren,Mi.USA
Cinebench didn't work to get the fans spinning, but LuxMark did in about 10 seconds. The fans haven't stopped moving yet. So do I have to stress the GPU every time I restart the Mac? I remember that someone wrote a script or an app that stressed the GPU whenever you restarted the computer. I don't recall the name and I can't find it now. Something like air-break, it may have something to do with Handbreak. If anyone has a link to it or could post the name that would be appreciated.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Cinebench didn't work to get the fans spinning, but LuxMark did in about 10 seconds. The fans haven't stopped moving yet. So do I have to stress the GPU every time I restart the Mac? I remember that someone wrote a script or an app that stressed the GPU whenever you restarted the computer. I don't recall the name and I can't find it now. Something like air-break, it may have something to do with Handbreak. If anyone has a link to it or could post the name that would be appreciated.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/airout-a-solution-to-the-racing-fan-bug.2143951/

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Has this problem occurred for anyone else?
If by problem you mean that the fans are silent/stopped until they're needed, that's how mine work. I believe this is how they're supposed to work.

But perhaps I've misunderstood the issue?

dustwashere

macrumors member
May 27, 2019
Russia
guys, tell me, for a Gigabyte RX580, an adapter with 6 pins to 8 pins is enough (the video card works, but hasn’t loaded yet), or it’s better to buy an adapter 2 mini 6 pins to 8 pins?

donzubeck

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2015
Warren,Mi.USA
How do you have that hooked up to your computer? I have an 8-pin to 8-pin cable from my logic board to the card, it looks like an original equipment cable. There is an 8 pin and a 6 pin two different cables, I just plugged the 8-pin into the GPU. That cable doesn't look like it will fit the logic board. Do I need that cable? Sorry for all these questions I am kind of new to the intel boards. I have the sapphire pulse rx 580 in a mid 2010 cMP.

Last edited:

donzubeck

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2015
Warren,Mi.USA
How do you have that hooked up to your computer? I have an 8-pin to 8-pin cable from my logic board to the card, it looks like an original equipment cable. There is an 8 pin and a 6 pin two different cables, I just plugged the 8-pin into the GPU. That cable doesn't look like it will fit the logic board. Do I need that cable? Sorry for all these questions I am kind of new to the intel boards. I have the sapphire pulse rx 580 in a mid 2010 cMP.
Never mind guys, I just googled how to power a rx 580. I see that it has to be a dual mini 6 pin. In your Pic it just looks a lot bigger. I will order that Cable. Thanks again for your answers to my dumb questions.

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014

This cable fits fine the logic board of the Mac Pro, because it has Mini six pin connectors.

One six pin provides 75 Watt, two six pin 150 Watt. Works fine with my RX 580.

Last edited:

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
so I am not used to fans that don’t spin.
If you want to easily give them a spin, download the newly released Blackmagic Design RAW Speed test (free). Just click start and watch your 580 (or any other Metal card) get fully exercised in an effort to see how capable your system is for running BM's RAW video format.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^No, and don't hold you breath thumbsdown.gif

Lou

drac

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2004
New Zealand
Just wanted to provide some feedback. Thank you to everyone who has conbrituted to this thread. I found an amazon 'like new' Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 for USD217 plus delivery. I've used a dual mini 6 pin to single 8 pin then to dual 8 pin to share the load evenly. Worked straight out of the box with 10.14.6. No issues, silent with normally use. Has made the general use much snappier over the GTX680.

I've undervolted it in Windows and its a big improvement for a casual gamer.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.