Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
Has anyone else tried/had any luck? My mid-2012 MBP seems to meet all minimum specs on the Rockstar website but it's still too laggy to play.

I've seen dozens of YouTube demos of people smoothly playing GTA V on their lower-specced Surface Pro 2's for f's sake. What gives? Is bootcamp slowing me down somehow?

wubsylol

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2014
I found the two videos of a Surface Pro 2 running GTA V and both of them are running it in 800x600 with the absolute lowest setting available and still getting <30fps most of the time.Your MBP cannot exceed this?

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
Which GPU do you have?
Intel HD 4000, 1.5GB VRAM. Definitely not ideal, but minimum specs only need 1GB VRAM so I figured it would be fine for lowest settings?

I found the two videos of a Surface Pro 2 running GTA V and both of them are running it in 800x600 with the absolute lowest setting available and still getting <30fps most of the time.Your MBP cannot exceed this?
I've generally been getting 30 FPS just walking around, but as soon as I get in a car or start shooting this drops to about 15, 10, even 5 FPS.

Last edited:

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Intel HD 4000, 1.5GB VRAM. Definitely not ideal, but minimum specs only need 1GB VRAM so I figured it would be fine for lowest settings?

The video RAM on the HD 4000 is shared with system RAM so it's going to be far slower than other Macs of the same vintage which have a discrete GPU. Also, the Surface Pro 2 has a more powerful CPU and integrated GPU than your Mac, which is why you're seeing it perform better.

Nothing you can do really except either get a more powerful computer or play the game on a console.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

I've generally been getting 30 FPS just walking around, but as soon as I get in a car or start shooting this drops to about 15, 10, even 5 FPS.

HD 4000 is far weaker than HD 4870 (especially in gaming). The minimum spec means you need a GPU at least as fast as HD4870 AND have at least 1G VRAM, not any GPU have 1G VRAM or more. Even though you can give you HD4000 10G of VRAM, it is still too slow for GTA V.

Last edited:

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
The video RAM on the HD 4000 is shared with system RAM so it's going to be far slower than other Macs of the same vintage which have a discrete GPU.
Figures. Do you think upgrading the system RAM to make up the difference would help at all?

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Yikes, the HD 4000 was never a great solution. I'll give Intel credit, their more recent GPU's are better...

Check out this page--and then do a search for GTA-V, it is there....they are saying 26.9 FPS in 1024x768, and they rated it as not playable at those settings -- gave it a yellow...I'm guessing it probably does ok when there is not much action, and as soon as something starts happening, then it gets all laggy...

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
Yikes, the HD 4000 was never a great solution. I'll give Intel credit, their more recent GPU's are better...

Check out this page--and then do a search for GTA-V, it is there....they are saying 26.9 FPS in 1024x768, and they rated it as not playable at those settings -- gave it a yellow...I'm guessing it probably does ok when there is not much action, and as soon as something starts happening, then it gets all laggy...

What's the page? I think you forgot the link

Gawjuz

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2016
United Kingdom
The PC version is exceptionally optimised and runs like a dream in Bootcamp for me. Although I do have a discrete GPU in my iMac (780m 4GB). I get a fairly steady 60fps @1080p high settings. It's also worth mentioning that GTA V loves a decent quad core CPU as it's quite CPU bound.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
It's also worth mentioning that GTA V loves a decent quad core CPU as it's quite CPU bound.

Even more so if the CPU has hyperthreading. An i7 with 8 logical cores will perform better than an i5 with only 4 logical cores.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Even more so if the CPU has hyperthreading. An i7 with 8 logical cores will perform better than an i5 with only 4 logical cores.

From memory, GTA V can use up to 6 cores on my Mac Pro (my CPU has 6 cores with Hyperthreading).

So, may be it can use up to 6 thread, regardless of it's real core or logical core. If that's the case, i7 sure has advantage over i5 on this particular game.

Gawjuz

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2016
United Kingdom
Yes... may I help you? ;-)

Haha this made my day :D
[doublepost=1460537795][/doublepost]
From memory, GTA V can use up to 6 cores on my Mac Pro (my CPU has 6 cores with Hyperthreading).

So, may be it can use up to 6 thread, regardless of it's real core or logical core. If that's the case, i7 sure has advantage over i5 on this particular game.

Sounds like the more cores/threads the merrier then!

Reactions: LCPepper

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013

Here are a couple videos where the reviewer runs GTA V on a couple Intel Skylake-based notebooks. The Dell has a Core i5 with 4 cores and no hyperthreading; the Lenovo is an i7 with 4 cores and hyperthreading. Both have a GeForce GTX 960M GPU. The performance of the i7 is notably better. IMO, it's more than just the difference in clock speeds between the two (the i7 is a couple hundred MHz faster). Take a look:

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
I've heard reports that there will be a Macbook Pro with Xeon processor released in June.
I'd suggest that this would be the incredible gaming laptop of your dreams, and should be able to play GTA V in VMWare fusion should you really need to impress your friends with raw power.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
I've heard reports that there will be a Macbook Pro with Xeon processor released in June.
I'd suggest that this would be the incredible gaming laptop of your dreams, and should be able to play GTA V in VMWare fusion should you really need to impress your friends with raw power.

I think you are going to be very wrong on both counts.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

Xeon is OK for gaming, but not the best one in general, unless there is game that design to use lots of core but slower speed.

The main problem of playing games in VM is software's problem, GPU performance is very limiting, not stable, and some modern features is not avail in VM. No matter which CPU Apple use, how many, how strong the GPU is, this problem still there until VMWare / Parallel fix the code.

You can play games on Xeon, you can play games in VM, but just won't impress anyone.

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Xeon is OK for gaming, but not the best one in general, unless there is game that design to use lots of core but slower speed.

The main problem of playing games in VM is software's problem, GPU performance is very limiting, not stable, and some modern features is not avail in VM. No matter which CPU Apple use, how many, how strong the GPU is, this problem still there until VMWare / Parallel fix the code.

You can play games on Xeon, you can play games in VM, but just won't impress anyone.

I'm not talking about ancient Xeon processors from 2009, I'm talking about this years models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.