Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I found the two videos of a Surface Pro 2 running GTA V and both of them are running it in 800x600 with the absolute lowest setting available and still getting <30fps most of the time.Your MBP cannot exceed this?

Actually it plays smoothly on an iPad Air 2 as well. and it has more resolution. Dunno what it it with Bootcamp, but on Air 2 i dodn't need to even lower any setting.

My guess is probably just Apple tech on desktop/laptop just ain't up to scratch when it comes to supporting Windows drivers/other..

I've always found this when i used Bootcamp... that's why i run in VM. But lack of support for games.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Actually it plays smoothly on an iPad Air 2 as well. and it has more resolution. Dunno what it it with Bootcamp, but on Air 2 i dodn't need to even lower any setting.

We're talking about Grand Theft Auto V, not one of the older games that can be played on an iPad.

Also, a Mac running Windows is little different than a dedicated Windows machine with the same hardware specs. You can use the same drivers in most cases. A Boot Camp Mac differs mostly in having worse battery life compared to OS X, a much worse trackpad experience for laptops, and thermal design. MacBook Pros will thermal throttle under Windows when gaming.

LCPepper

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2013
United Kingdom
The PC version is exceptionally optimised and runs like a dream in Bootcamp for me. Although I do have a discrete GPU in my iMac (780m 4GB). I get a fairly steady 60fps @1080p high settings. It's also worth mentioning that GTA V loves a decent quad core CPU as it's quite CPU bound.

I even managed to run it quite acceptable get in 720p on my retina MBP from 2013, so Intel Iris.

Only dual corse, but PCIe flash and 16GB RAM must count for something haha!

Reactions: Gawjuz

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I even managed to run it quite acceptable get in 720p on my retina MBP from 2013, so Intel Iris.

Only dual corse, but PCIe flash and 16GB RAM must count for something haha!

16G fast memory may help a bit, but may be 1-2 FPS max. And PCIe SSD won't help FPS, but reduce the loading time.

LCPepper

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2013
United Kingdom
16G fast memory may help a bit, but may be 1-2 FPS max. And PCIe SSD won't help FPS, but reduce the loading time.

I thought that the PCIe SSD would make the FPS better??

It can load the pictures faster onto the screen than a hard disk SSD?

Anyway, I am thinking about upgrading the CPU and GPU in it, see if I can play it a bit quicker.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I thought that the PCIe SSD would make the FPS better??

It can load the pictures faster onto the screen than a hard disk SSD?

Anyway, I am thinking about upgrading the CPU and GPU in it, see if I can play it a bit quicker.

AFAIK, it won't, but faster loading time will reduce the chance of having "transparent object" on the screen.
[doublepost=1460942031][/doublepost]
Again, I'm not talking about ancient history. I'm talking about this year's mobile Xeon Skylake processors.
And you are frankly talking nonsense if you think i7 is better than Xeon.

I spend some times to study the Skylake serious (in case I miss something). So far, I didn't find a XEON that is faster than the 6700K. The fastest I can find so far is the E3 1280v5 (3.7GHz, Turbo 4GHz), still a bit slower than the 6700K (4.0GHz Turbo 4.2GHz).

May I know in what sense that the XEON is better for gaming? I am serious. I use Xeon for years, if Skylake XEON is better than i7 for gaming, that will be a good news for me.

My understanding is, for gaming, everything focus on speed, ECC RAM is not important, and it will run about 2% slower than normal RAM. So, one of the main benefit of using XEON is out of equation.

Traditionally, XEON is non OC-able, even it does, it's not an advantage over i7, but just match the i7.

Trust computing, useless in gaming.

Lower power consumption, useless in gaming.

Lack of iGPU, it's obviously a disadvantage, especially if any DX12 game can utilise it to assist the dGPU. OK the 1275V5 has iGPU, and it's GPU is 400MHz vs the 350MHz iGPI in 6700k. However, the CPU itself is further slower than the 1280v5. And 50MHz faster iGPU doesn't really matter in this years AAA game, right?

The ancient XEON can support much more memory than i7, and may have higher memory bandwidth, but for Skylake, both are maxed at 64G (I know this number can be wrong, but officially they are both maxed at 64G at this moment) with same memory bandwidth. So even for a game that's memory size / bandwidth intensive (if there is any), XEON has no more advantage.

PCIe lane, same, so the XEON do not have more PCIe lane to take any advantage in multi GPU configuration.

Intel vPro Technology, is that matter for gaming?

Apart from a slightly stronger iGPU on the 1275v5. I just couldn't find anything that the XEON is better for gaming in the technical point of view. If that's cheaper, than it may be "better" for some user (subjectively). However, that's not performing better (objectively), but better performance to cost ratio (anyway, the recommended price of 1280V5 is much higher than 6700K, and 1275V5 is the same as 6700K).

Please tell me why skylake XEON is so special, and better / stronger for gaming if compare to the i7. Do I miss anything?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.