Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Download ATI's firmware update from their web site.

then,

Download ATI Display from ATI's web site.

I did these on my 7500 (even though it wasn't listed); I'm not 100% sure you'll need the firmware update, but the installer will determine that and let you know. ATI Display will give you the ability to manually override game settings to get the best performance.

EDIT: you need to have the card installed to run the firmware updater, of course.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
oingoboingo said:
The Radeon 9600 Pros that OWC are selling are Apple OEM cards, but they have been altered so that they run in an AGP 4x slot (they are originally AGP 8x cards...you only need to block off one of the contacts on the AGP connector to convert it to AGP 4x). I sold my 64MB Radeon 9600 Pro card that originally shipped with my 1.6GHz G5 to a G4 PowerMac owner via eBay, and he reported that it worked without a problem in his 1GHz Quicksilver (using the sticky-tape-on-the-AGP-connector-trick).

I have one of those cards arriving from OWC today for my dual G4/800. It should be interesting to see the results.

deadfrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
UK / Bournemouth
ok, it arrived today... installation was fairly straightforward, had more trouble trying to remove my rage 128...

The power for the card doesnt line up with my motherboard, so that will be why there is no power for dvi etc... but they do explain this on owc...

im using a dvi to vga converter that i bought for £4 at a local shop so its not a problem for me.

impressions....

when i first booted my machine, there was no signal for the grey screen but once os x kicked in, i got a signal. Obviously i had to set displays back up.

I still dont get the grey screen when booting which is kinda important if you want to boot from another hard drive or get the warning signals... if anyone has any ideas on making this work i would be really grateful!

Tested a couple of games so far, first was return to castle wolfenstein... runs very nicely, full settings on 1024 x 768 everything turned on, its pretty smooth but i imagine the only thing stopping it from being completely silky is my dual 533...

Then tested sim cuty 4, seems to be running ok, but this was my first time on the game so was onyl running the tutorial since it requires a 32mb graphics card and my rage didnt meet that...

should be testing out battlefield 1942 but this could struggle as it requires a 800 mhz processor... not sure how my dual will help out with games but not expecting much.

have installed the ati displays, however it does say i require the firmware update, but when i was reading about the firmware update it doesnt seem to support the 9600 so i didnt run it, if anyone can shed some light on this as to what to do.

Anyhow, have rambled enough now... iif anyone has any questions, feel free to ask... i will be doing some xbench tests in a bit...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I also got my Radeon 9600/modified today. I wish I had walking room behind the computer. What a pain it was to remove the DVI->VGA adapter!

The lack of a real signal on boot startled me but first time, things don't always work exactly right. If it continues, I'll know not to be startled again.

I haven't tried much so far. I never realised how nice UT2004 looked. It's just so much nicer with a healthy video card. I have to try many other things but I'm quite pleased already, except with the delivery. Due last Friday, I only just received it this afternoon, after being again promised this morning. DHL + Airborne = bad service, something I didn't have before DHL was involved.

Anyway, I have several FPS and other things to test. It should be interesting to see the difference.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
you ALWAYS get done for vat from owc, you get a bill from fedex saying they have charged your credit card about a month later so you think you have gotten away with it

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
I see. Are they like Parcelforce and charge you for the pleasure of collecting your tax or is it just the VAT+any import duty that gets charged?

I've ordered myself a 9600 (currently in Paris - It was in Stansted earlier but it fancied a Gauloise!) so I was wondering if and when they'd want the tax. BTW, so far, I've been impressed by OWC.

deadfrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
UK / Bournemouth
yeah, i got stung for import tax... came to £22.25 or something... As i got it delivered via ups they asked for C.O.D. so had to pay there and then...

Dont think they charge you vat, cos thats like 17.5% and it comes to well over that unless, they charge vat and import duty... dunno, cant remember how it all works now, but i just figured i had to pay it since they didnt put gift on the box like some other kind american companies i have ordered from in the past.

still cant work out how to get the grey screen at boot up, if anyone has any suggestions i would be greatful..

cheers...

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Mine's arrived. Off to Regent Street to get an ADC adapter as the ebay ones are asking stupid money for 2nd hand stuff. Fedex didn't even mention cash up front. I guess I wait for a charge to my credit card later! :(

Incidently 'gift' shouldn't help you as that only allows tax free imports up to £32 in value. Without the 'gift' it's £18 (IIRC - maybe £16)

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
caveman_uk said:
I see. Are they like Parcelforce and charge you for the pleasure of collecting your tax or is it just the VAT+any import duty that gets charged?

I've ordered myself a 9600 (currently in Paris - It was in Stansted earlier but it fancied a Gauloise!) so I was wondering if and when they'd want the tax. BTW, so far, I've been impressed by OWC.

no, i hate that i buy something worth £40 so that should be like £8 but i get hit by the magical we charge you £8 for a wire transfer :mad: to make you pay £16 which is a rather large chunk for the £40 item, moral of the story, never use parcel force they suck.

deadfrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
UK / Bournemouth
ok, just to let people know the "no grey screen" at boot was something to do with my monitor and im guessing refresh rate... have swapped over to my better monitor now and it now comes up... strange mind as im guessing there must be some way to change this?

anyways... ill let this thread die now... if anyone wants anymore info just message me and ill be happy to help where i can..

rich.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
caveman_uk said:
Off to Regent Street to get an ADC adapter as the ebay ones are asking stupid money for 2nd hand stuff.
Damn Apple Store didn't have any, nor Microanvika nor Cancom Cambridge. Seems odd....are Apple phasing them out or is it that a lot of people have bought 9600's from OWC?

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
caveman_uk said:
Damn Apple Store didn't have any, nor Microanvika nor Cancom Cambridge. Seems odd....are Apple phasing them out or is it that a lot of people have bought 9600's from OWC?

Square Group on New Oxford St. might have some. I bought an ADC-DVI adaptor for my Radeon 9000 a while ago from them.

islim

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2005
deadfrog said:
yeah, i got stung for import tax... came to £22.25 or something... As i got it delivered via ups they asked for C.O.D. so had to pay there and then...

Dont think they charge you vat, cos thats like 17.5% and it comes to well over that unless, they charge vat and import duty... dunno, ...

As i've been wanting to upgrade my graphics card in my Digital Audio, i've been reading loads of forums researching this issue. Finally... I've ordered the Radeon 9600 Pro from OWC. Living in the UK, I had to supply loads of ID info before the order was processed. Also spoke to Customs & Excise (C&E) and was given a Commodity Code (8471800000) which means zero% duty! This has been confirmed by downloading a PDF from C&E website (uktradeinfo.com).

The only charge payable is VAT, which will come to about £13 for my order. It's worth getting the C&E Commodity Codes for computers/parts as you can check online whether duty is payable or not. Stops the UPS/FedEx guys getting our hard earned cash!

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
islim said:
As i've been wanting to upgrade my graphics card in my Digital Audio, i've been reading loads of forums researching this issue. Finally... I've ordered the Radeon 9600 Pro from OWC. Living in the UK, I had to supply loads of ID info before the order was processed. Also spoke to Customs & Excise (C&E) and was given a Commodity Code (8471800000) which means zero% duty! This has been confirmed by downloading a PDF from C&E website (uktradeinfo.com).

The only charge payable is VAT, which will come to about £13 for my order. It's worth getting the C&E Commodity Codes for computers/parts as you can check online whether duty is payable or not. Stops the UPS/FedEx guys getting our hard earned cash!

Excellent tip!! Oh god, this might tip me over the edge and make me order a 9600, ha ha! I"m supposed to be saving up to buy a house - my gf will kill me! :eek:

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
caveman_uk said:
You think you've got problems. You should have seen my wifes face when I said I wanted to get that Gigadesigns 1.42GHz DP upgrade for my MDD!

Ha ha! No, I'm actually very lucky. I mentioned to my girlfriend that I was thinking of buying another LCD monitor, as they've tanked in price, so I can have a dual-DVI extended desktop. She said cool, go for it! Er, hello? I need her to be my better conscience, steering me away from blowing our cash on techie toys, not encouraging me!

She's sweet and wants a Mac herself (I've already fobbed her off with an old Toshiba laptop, sorry). Might have to get her a secondhand TiBook for Valentine's Day, aww :p

PS I'd have to say that a 1.42GHz DP upgrade probably isn't worth it for an MDD. I went from a stock 400MHz G4 to a 1.467GHz GigaDesigns upgrade and it's made a huge difference, saving me having to buy a newer Mac for a couple of years now. But I can't see getting the same bang for the buck if you're already wielding an MDD? Sorry, I'm siding with your missus!

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
drlunanerd said:
PS I'd have to say that a 1.42GHz DP upgrade probably isn't worth it for an MDD. I went from a stock 400MHz G4 to a 1.467GHz GigaDesigns upgrade and it's made a huge difference, saving me having to buy a newer Mac for a couple of years now. But I can't see getting the same bang for the buck if you're already wielding an MDD? Sorry, I'm siding with your missus!
I'm getting processor envy though. It sucks when Apple's cheapest computer is probably faster than the chuffing huge tower that's whiring away next to you! I've ummed and arrredd about it as well. I'm keeping an eye on PM resale prices at the moment....

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
caveman_uk said:
I'm getting processor envy though. It sucks when Apple's cheapest computer is probably faster than the chuffing huge tower that's whiring away next to you! I've ummed and arrredd about it as well. I'm keeping an eye on PM resale prices at the moment....

Don't believe the hype. Your MDD DP 1GHz will easily outpace a new Mac mini, and would certainly give an iMac G5 a run for its money too. I speak from first-hand experience here. I know it's tempting to max out your PowerMac but I think you won't notice a significant performance increase given that yours is a recent model in terms of G4s.

I mean, if you use your Mac for work and every second counts, then maybe, but I'd probably sell it and buy a second-hand rev. A DP PowerMac G5 instead of spending £300-£400 on a CPU upgrade.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
The mini doesn't have a L3 cache does it so I guess you're right the MDD would still stuff the mini's processor. Phew, my mac still wins a pissing competition ;)

Obviously my harddrive system is a LOT faster too.

I guess I'll keep this for a bit longer and get a G5 in a year or so's time.

Thanks for giving me a slap and see sense :rolleyes:

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
caveman_uk said:
The mini doesn't have a L3 cache does it so I guess you're right the MDD would still stuff the mini's processor. Phew, my mac still wins a pissing competition ;)

Obviously my harddrive system is a LOT faster too.

I guess I'll keep this for a bit longer and get a G5 in a year or so's time.

Thanks for giving me a slap and see sense :rolleyes:

I've been on your side of the fence so many times, believe me I know it's like an addiction daydreaming about new hardware!

I was thinking more in terms of your dual CPUs, hadn't even factored in the L3 cache but that makes a big difference too so good point. Your hard disk will spank the Mac mini's, and of course you have much better expandability. That's where the PowerMac G5s lose out (although you can mod the case inside to cram more hard disks in, it costs to do it). I've long felt the MDD is an ideal system for me (have a DP 1.25GHz FW800 model at work), but can't really justify dumping my modded Gig. Ethernet model for the extra cash it would require.

Major advantage of the mini is it's quietness (did you get your PSU replaced under the recall scheme BTW?), but you're trading a lot of performance for that. I recently helped a friend buy a second hand iMac G5 1.8, and that quickly gets noisy when the CPU is working even moderately hard.

OK, look what about buying a nice new fast Pioneer DVR-109 Superdrive for it as a Valentine's present?! You can pick them up for under £50, your wife will be thrilled I'm sure!

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Yeah...I really like the MDD form factor. Much better than the G5s - apart from noise. I've got the replacement PSU thanks.

I've got a 8x DVR-107D in the MDD at the moment anyway so maybe I'll give the 109 a miss. And as for expandability, yeah I guess I'd miss my seven USB, five firewire ports, 4 RAM slots and four drive carriers. ;)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Well, I'm glad I live just a state or two away from OWC - makes buying things quicker and cheaper! :p

My brother just bought a 1.42GHz Mac mini, and it has really made me think about the sense of putting money into my Digital Audio Dual 533 versus getting a mini.

He spent about $1000 (with Apple Care), and I've spent around $1200 (not counting displays for either of us). But my 250GB SATA hard drive will run rings around his laptop drive, and is much larger. The Radeon 9600 is worlds better than the Mini's 9200. I've got the DVR-107 which burns at 8x, rather than the min's 4x. Having two processors helps make up for the slower clock in some apps, and the case is WAY easier to open! :D Once I finally get a CPU upgrade, I'll have a machine that outperforms the mini easily in every way.

Plus, because I have Digital Audio I don't have the noise problems that MDD owners have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.