Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Lord Blackadder said:
Well, I'm glad I live just a state or two away from OWC - makes buying things quicker and cheaper! :p

My brother just bought a 1.42GHz Mac mini, and it has really made me think about the sense of putting money into my Digital Audio Dual 533 versus getting a mini.

He spent about $1000 (with Apple Care), and I've spent around $1200 (not counting displays for either of us). But my 250GB SATA hard drive will run rings around his laptop drive, and is much larger. The Radeon 9600 is worlds better than the Mini's 9200. I've got the DVR-107 which burns at 8x, rather than the min's 4x. Having two processors helps make up for the slower clock in some apps, and the case is WAY easier to open! :D Once I finally get a CPU upgrade, I'll have a machine that outperforms the mini easily in every way.

Plus, because I have Digital Audio I don't have the noise problems that MDD owners have.

Once you upgrade the CPU you will have a noise problem! ;)

If you value how quiet your DA is at the moment make sure you thoroughly research the fan noise on whatever CPU you're looking to buy. After GigaDesigns sent me 2 whiny fans for my upgrade I junked them and used a chip cooler from a Pentium! Even then it was too annoying, so I ramped the speed down with an inline resistor. It's still not quiet enough for me, but it's been running 100% fine for a year now so heat isn't an issue (I live in cold rainy UK so that helps!).

Having said that I'd always put the cash into upgrading a decent PowerMac like yours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.