Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
Do u guys use the sleeve inside a backpack when u have to bring laptop anywhere? It seems not sturdy enough to use by itself. Pair it with a backpack and it is redundant. If I was a female with a large purse I think then it would be good.
I use it with a backpack. Maybe overkill but I prefer it to be in a sleeve rather than just sliding around naked in a backpack.

Reactions: Frostbear44

Tb87Bln

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2016
Reactions: Fubar1977

fastmax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
I use it with a backpack. Maybe overkill but I prefer it to be in a sleeve rather than just sliding around naked in a backpack.
I completely agree – for the extra protection. Some backpack's padded laptop compartments don't go all the way to the top of the laptop, so a sleeve has your Mac totally enveloped and gives you more shock absorption when you set your bag down. The other great thing about these sleeves is that when you are at home or on-the-go, you can use it as a lap or desk mat that provides a flat working surface with some extra grip, which also protects the bottom of the MacBook from scratches. The versatility of these slim covers is almost endless!

outsidah

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Do u guys use the sleeve inside a backpack when u have to bring laptop anywhere? It seems not sturdy enough to use by itself. Pair it with a backpack and it is redundant. If I was a female with a large purse I think then it would be good.

Yes I usually double up and place it inside my bag with it's sleeve. I use the sleeve for a couple of more things:

• Storage at home
  • "Pad" for resting laptop on when working remotely
  • Standalone protection if only taking laptop and not entire bag

fastmax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
I guess I finally found my sleeve ?
but I guess I just wait a couple of days just in case something shows up for Black Friday…
Let us know what you end up getting and if you find any Black Friday deals ?

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
Not sure if this is minimalist enough for you, but I ordered this distressed leather sleeve from Etsy (ships from China) which was the look I was searching for, and the shop had great reviews. They also do free monogramming. US$62 with free shipping.

Note, the shop owner just messaged me saying that the 14" fits a bit tight because of the more prominent black feet on the MBP, but said if it is, to let them know and they'd send a new one. I should be receiving mine last week of November, so will post back impressions once I get it.
So my distressed leather sleeve for my 14" MBP came in today, and am really happy with it. Despite the pro-active message from the Etsy store owner (see above), it fits great, definitely not loose, and just snug enough.

Really happy with the quality of it, and the reviews of the Etsy seller on their storefront certainly speak for themselves. Definitely exceeded my expectations for the price, and it coming from China.

tempImageqrEA8k.jpg

tempImagegEjoTd.jpg

tempImagecyfdap.jpg

tempImageVMZjq3.jpg

Tb87Bln

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2016
All right.. I did it!
I have finally decided on a sleeve: a Ryan London sleeve (turquoise and orange) is on it's way to me...
(I am very exited about it but a little nervous how it'll fit and look in real live...I hope everything works out...)

Today they offer a blackfriday deal (don't know if its the same for all currencies but I got 18%)... so if anyone else is interested...

Last edited:

fastmax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
All right.. I did it!
I have finally decided on a sleeve: a Ryan London sleeve (turquoise and orange) is on it's way to me...
(I am very exited about it but a little nervous how it'll fit and look in real live...I hope everything works out...)

Today they offer a blackfriday deal (don't know if its the same for all currencies but I got 18%)... so if anyone else is interested...
You made an excellent choice! The quality and fit of this sleeve make it the perfect worry-free option. The value of the sleeve was incredible at the normal price, so with the $18 off that (20%), you got a killer deal!

Can't wait to hear what you think when it arrives, especially in that beautiful and bold color combo.

Reactions: Tb87Bln

chengengaun

Contributor
Feb 7, 2012
I received my Joli Originals sleeve yesterday; I posted some photos here. I do plan to use the sleeve even in a backpack; my previous MacBook had one of its edges scratched by a beefy YKK slider when I took the Mac out of the bag.

fastmax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
I received my Joli Originals sleeve yesterday; I posted some photos here. I do plan to use the sleeve even in a backpack; my previous MacBook had one of its edges scratched by a beefy YKK slider when I took the Mac out of the bag.
That sleeve and the accessories look gorgeous! But, I guess we wouldn't expect anything less from Joli Originals. That cable wrap is a great idea for elegantly keeping your cable together when traveling.

Reactions: chengengaun

chengengaun

Contributor
Feb 7, 2012
That sleeve and the accessories look gorgeous! But, I guess we wouldn't expect anything less from Joli Originals. That cable wrap is a great idea for elegantly keeping your cable together when traveling.
I bought the larger cable wrap as I wanted to cover the metal MagSafe and USB-C connectors, and I am glad the wrap is big enough to cover both. Now I don’t have to worry about the metal bits scratching up other items while in the bag. It’s also nice that the braided cable is easy to wiggle into the right position such that the metal connectors sit next to each other when the cable is in a loop.

fastmax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
I bought the larger cable wrap as I wanted to cover the metal MagSafe and USB-C connectors, and I am glad the wrap is big enough to cover both. Now I don’t have to worry about the metal bits scratching up other items while in the bag. It’s also nice that the braided cable is easy to wiggle into the right position such that the metal connectors sit next to each other when the cable is in a loop.
You've got a sweet setup there for sure. That Stuart & Lau Cary briefcase looks pretty killer also.

Reactions: chengengaun

HBIII

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2021
So because of this thread I ordered a sleeve for my 16" 2021 Macbook Pro from Ryan London (the Exubrance and Sand). Got it today and it is great. It is a darker and more orange color than the images on their website, but I will get used to it I guess. It is nice and soft and the fit is perfect. Good product.

laptopsleeve.jpg

fastmax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
So because of this thread I ordered a sleeve for my 16" 2021 Macbook Pro from Ryan London (the Exubrance and Sand). Got it today and it is great. It is a darker and more orange color than the images on their website, but I will get used to it I guess. It is nice and soft and the fit is perfect. Good product.
Welcome to the MacRumors Forums! I know that the RYAN London sleeve will serve you well and keep your MBP 16" nicely protected for many years to come. You have a really original color combo going! Everyone who sees it will wonder where you got something so unique.

HBIII

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2021
Thanks fastmax! And thanks again for starting this thread, I was having a really hard time finding a sleeve I liked :).

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
I received my Ryan London Navy and Mint for the new 16' MacBook Pro, as others I love it. Great fit, very snug actually. Very nice leather, I love the minimalistic look. Thanks for the recommendation @fastmax !!

fastmax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
Any time @donawalt! That is an awesome setup for your 16" MBP. It will definitely keep your Mac safe and sound and in high style!

Tb87Bln

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2016
So, I am a little late to report back...
But I truly love my new Ryan London sleeve... it's great! I love it...
I was lucky to be able to get that great discount for Black Friday because with taxes and import duty it ended up by the original price (thanks to the Brexit). But it is totally with it!
The color is just stunning... (turquoise and orange)

thanks for suggesting it!

fastmax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
So, I am a little late to report back...
But I truly love my new Ryan London sleeve... it's great! I love it...
I was lucky to be able to get that great discount for Black Friday because with taxes and import duty it ended up by the original price (thanks to the Brexit). But it is totally with it!
The color is just stunning... (turquoise and orange)

thanks for suggesting it!
For sure! Great to hear you are so happy with the sleeve. Enjoy it!

well the comments convinced me, just ordered Ryan London sleeve zinc & blue!
Good choice! Let us know your impressions when it arrives.

astorre

Suspended
Nov 4, 2021
For sure! Great to hear you are so happy with the sleeve. Enjoy it!

Good choice! Let us know your impressions when it arrives.

Ordered 23.12 9:40 and it shipped 4 hours later, very impressed. Ofc Royal Mail took its time with delivery, but I like it a lot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.