Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I just noticed the 24" LED backlit Apple Cinema Display is now on sale refurbished for $599 USD!

This same display is $899 new. It was selling for $799 refurbished until a month ago when it dropped to $699. Now it's dropped another $100 to $599.

Let me just advise anyone with a rev B/C MBA that this display is absolutely STUNNING. It's the perfect companion for your MBA. It has an incredibly beautiful IPS glossy display which is LED backlit. The MBA can drive full resolution capabilities of the 24" LED ACD. It has built in cables and POWER for the MBA. This means you can leave your power cable in your laptop bag. You can also leave all your USB devices plugged into the ACD's hub. It also has a built in webcam and fairly nice speakers too!

I very highly recommend this. With a rev B/C MBA with SSD, it will feel like you own a MAC PRO not an MBA when your little Mac that could is plugged into this grand display.

At these prices, Apple has lost its mind and is finally competing on price with competition, and all us Apple buyers are benefitting incredibly all the sudden... how great this deal is. I am considering buying a second for my kids at this price!

maroulis

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
Scottsdale do you work for Apple's refurb dept or something? :D

I don't know but I have a 30" Dell LCD and after seeing his post I went ahead and ordered a 24" ACD too LOL... damn!

Prepared for Shipment
RFB APPLE LED CINEMA DISPLAY-USA
FB382LL/A

Ships: within 24 hours
Delivers: Aug 6 - Aug 7

SubTotal: $599.00
Tax: $52.23
Shipping Charge: $34.00
Total:$685.23

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
STILL no sign of refurb 24 LED ACDs in Europe :mad:

Every time you post this Scottsdale, it's like a knife to my buttocks.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Saw this in another thread and had to check it out for myself. This is making me want one of these displays even more. This is a good thing because then I can use my 22" for my Win desktop and get the 24" when I get my Air. :D

You can a Refurb Rev C SSD Air and a refurb 24" ACD for less than what you could get a New Rev B SSD for!

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Saw this in another thread and had to check it out for myself. This is making me want one of these displays even more. This is a good thing because then I can use my 22" for my Win desktop and get the 24" when I get my Air. :D

You can a Refurb Rev C SSD Air and a refurb 24" ACD for less than what you could get a New Rev B SSD for!

Refurbished rev B with SSD and 1.86 dropped another $100 to $1349. So for the 24" ACD and rev B 1.86/SSD is less than $2,000!

I cannot believe how great these deals are. Apple must be ramping up deals to keep sales going in this terrible economy. But I never dreamt we would see prices this low on such an incredible setup. I bet people who paid $3398 for this same setup new a few months ago are crying themselves to sleep!

Awesome buying opportunities...

itou

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
... like, wow! like, oh my god! like, how annoying are his posts?

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe

Go on, rub further salt in the wound why don't you...not a single one of approx. 10 European countries have it in the refurb store

You guys have no soul :(

kamochan

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2009
Not exactly a refurb, but certain large Finnish chains have been selling the old stock rev B 1.86 SSD Airs for 1302 € (tax included)... I'm typing this on the last unit left in our city's chain stores :D

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
Refurbished rev B with SSD and 1.86 dropped another $100 to $1349. So for the 24" ACD and rev B 1.86/SSD is less than $2,000!

I cannot believe how great these deals are. Apple must be ramping up deals to keep sales going in this terrible economy. But I never dreamt we would see prices this low on such an incredible setup. I bet people who paid $3398 for this same setup new a few months ago are crying themselves to sleep!

Awesome buying opportunities...

Just goes to show the margins Apple was working with when the Air first came out. Since the hardware is so minimal I am sure the majority of the cost was in designing and setting up manufacturing for the Air. Now that that has been recouped and rolled into the design of the new unibody machines the price is falling to a more natural price point.

It will be interesting to see how this effects sales of the Air, when I had my Rev B Air the first comment more people who liked it made wasnt about how limited the port selection or hardware was, it was about how expensive they were. I think there is a lot of demand for a laptop like the Air if Apple can get it down to the $1000-$1200 price range.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Just goes to show the margins Apple was working with when the Air first came out. Since the hardware is so minimal I am sure the majority of the cost was in designing and setting up manufacturing for the Air. Now that that has been recouped and rolled into the design of the new unibody machines the price is falling to a more natural price point.

It will be interesting to see how this effects sales of the Air, when I had my Rev B Air the first comment more people who liked it made wasnt about how limited the port selection or hardware was, it was about how expensive they were. I think there is a lot of demand for a laptop like the Air if Apple can get it down to the $1000-$1200 price range.

Well components like CPU, drive, GPU, and etc cost more when smaller versions. That is some of the costs. Now those prices are down for sure. I think the natural future of the MBA is to replace the MacBook at the low end price point.

It really was ahead of its time. Apple is trying to get people used to the ease of wirelessly connecting to AEBS/Time Capsule, printers, network, and etc. The real challenge is the iTunes store and getting people used to buying/downloading movies/music/software. Then the optical drive can go for good. I believe Apple sees the design as the future of ALL Mac notebooks no matter if it's a 13" 15" or 17" version. Removing the optical drive makes it so much easier to make a thin and lightweight notebook Mac.

hupple

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2009
Is there any chance that there will be some update of ACD.

This price is so good but it can only connect to apple product. If it has hdmi or displayport instead of only mini displayport, I will definitely buy it.

maroulis

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
Is there any chance that there will be some update of ACD.

This price is so good but it can only connect to apple product. If it has hdmi or displayport instead of only mini displayport, I will definitely buy it.

display port is not apple proprietary.. my dell 30" 3008fwp has display port :)

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I really want a MBA :'(

I just cant justify it right now. I already have two laptops. The MBA is perfect for me though because anytime I use a laptop its not for anything powerful (with the exception of right now cause I dont have a desktop at the moment.)

ghileman

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
the only problem with this display...

well, actually the MBA, not the display, is the fact that on the MBA the power and the usb/video port are on different sides. that has cables running to both sides of your MBA. a number of reviews have griped about this.

not a huge deal, but i hope apple fixes this down the road.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I believe Apple sees the design as the future of ALL Mac notebooks no matter if it's a 13" 15" or 17" version. Removing the optical drive makes it so much easier to make a thin and lightweight notebook Mac.

probably the 15 and the 13, but I don't really see the 17" going along with it any time soon. At that size it's much more of a desktop replacement than a portable. Also at that screen size it makes the dimensions extremely awkward, at least in it's current form factor. Though being apple, a change in form factor might not be out of the question. I'm just not so sure the computing market is ready for that, nor will they be ready for such a radical departure any time soon.

macmadandproud

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
I don't know but I have a 30" Dell LCD and after seeing his post I went ahead and ordered a 24" ACD too LOL... damn!

I just ordered one too, and I have to say maroulis... damn! I thought your price seemed a little high... where the hell do you live that has a 10% sales tax?

It just broke my heart to see that!!! :(

R

macmadandproud

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
mini display port is.

Actually it's not. Apple invented the mini connector to allow it to integrate into small noteboks, but that doesn't make it proprietary. They have submitted it as a standard, and other manufacturers are free to utilize it in their designs.

Don't forget, they also largely "invented" or developed WIFI and Firewire, and submitted both to the IEEE.

Peace.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I just ordered one too, and I have to say maroulis... damn! I thought your price seemed a little high... where the hell do you live that has a 10% sales tax?

It just broke my heart to see that!!! :(

R

Well I'm in Canada and pay 14% sales tax :p

But, I believe the OP is in NY. I remember buying an iPod touch there had an 8.75% sales tax rate, which would make sense maroulis' purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.