Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Hi there. I've not yet upgraded to DP2 yet, been working on another patch. Did you install DP2 as an update to DP1 or as a clean install?. i"m going to try installing this over DP1 with the 64 bit patch installed and see how I get on. If all else fails then I'll use the chameleon method. thanks

I did a clean install.. It just doesnt work ._.

----------

what if you forced the resolution in boot.plist?

Quartz Extreme isn't working. So whether or not you you get full res its useless.

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
I did a clean install.. It just doesnt work ._

Update.

Ok, So I attempted to install ML DP2 over DP1 with the modded GMA X3100 64 bit drivers already installed, as an update, and to my surprise DP2 installed ok on the second attempt. The first time around I did a clean install, and it didn't work, so I added the 64 bit drivers to the DP2 .dmg, installed DP1 again with the same modded 64 bit drivers and attempted to install DP2 again over DP1 as an update, and it boots without the need for chameleon. I had to mod the DP2 dmg to include the original 64bit boot efi from DP1, but it otherwise works ok. I'll put some screen shots up later on. Thanks "Hackerwayne"

Last edited:

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
DP2 KPed immediately after boot.. 32bit kernel is no longer available. But i have another solution :). Download the latest ML Chamaleon (hackintosh bootloader) then boot mountain lion via chameleon. Tested it myself on Mountain Lion DP2

I downloaded the hackintosh bootloader and installed it in my external USB ML disk. What do I do next? If it is using the BIOS emulation I am doomed because my MacBook can't boot legacy USB discs.

I had to mod the DP2 dmg to include the original 64bit boot efi from DP1, but it otherwise works ok. I'll put some screen shots up later on. Thanks "Hackerwayne"

How did you do that? I tried myself following the instructions in

http://www.j4mie.co.uk/blog/2012/02/18/how-to-install-mountain-lion-on-macpro11/

that worked just fine for DP1. But after installing from Lion and rebooting it complained that my Mac wasn't supported. It seems the list of supported systems (and the boot.efi) is also included in a hidden BaseSystem.dmg image. I modified that as well probably making a mess so I gave up.

Please put some screens/instructions indeed. Thanks! :)

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
I downloaded the hackintosh bootloader and installed it in my external USB ML disk. What do I do next? If it is using the BIOS emulation I am doomed because my MacBook can't boot legacy USB discs.

How did you do that? I tried myself following the instructions in

http://www.j4mie.co.uk/blog/2012/02/18/how-to-install-mountain-lion-on-macpro11/

that worked just fine for DP1. But after installing from Lion and rebooting it complained that my Mac wasn't supported. It seems the list of supported systems (and the boot.efi) is also included in a hidden BaseSystem.dmg image. I modified that as well probably making a mess so I gave up.

Please put some screens/instructions indeed. Thanks! :)

If you are having trouble installing DP1 and you have followed the instructions by "Hackerwayne", Firstly hold down keys 3 and 2 at boot. If this does not work for you Hold down cmd v at boot and the mac should display a reason for why it cannot boot. tell me what is displayed there under reason and I'll be able to help you out further.

For everyone else wanting to upgrade from DP1 to DP2

The steps shown below are what worked for me
PLEASE BEAR IN MIND THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH GMA 950 GPU'S

FOR GMA X3100 GPU ONLY

1) If you have already installed DP2 and got the no entry sign, you need to install DP1 again from the modded file you originally created for DP1. once DP1 has installed, download the 64bit patch for 10.8 DP1 and install it by opening the file with terminal typing in your system password and then rebooting the mac or hackintosh. once rebooted into 10.8 DP1 with the 64bit patch in place, carry on with step 2.

10.8 DP1 64bit patch here right click link and select download linked file
Mod.bs file which you will also need is here

2) Mount both the modded DP1 DMG file you made and also mount the DP2 DMG and have them both on your desktop.

3) Locate the Boot.efi file from the DP2 DMG. Delete it and replace the deleted file in that folder with the Boot.efi from the DP1 DMG. Do not copy over anything else.

4) Close all the folders, eject the DP1 DMG but leave the DP2 DMG file mounted on the desktop. At this point I also extracted the 64 bit drivers from the patch and put them into the DP2 DMG, but later realised I didn't have to do this, so You won't need to do this. if you have any trouble reaching step 6 let me know and i'll upload the required files that you can put into the DP2 DMG.

5) Now here's the most important part. Double click the DP2 DMG and install it from the DP1 desktop like a update NOT A CLEAN INSTALL.

6) Allow DP2 to install and reboot at the end of the installation. If you have done everything right then you should be able to reach the 10.8 DP2 desktop.

The above solely relies on the GMA X3100 64bit patch being installed on DP1 before you do do anything. The 64bit patch forces the mac to boot into the 64bit kernel and by installing DP2 as an update, the patch should still function as it was designed to.

Last edited:

coolio2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Hi madmacfan, thanx so lot for your hard work installing ML on MB 3.1. Please can you offer the needed patch files in a zipfile cause the terminal file will always saved as a textfile. I want update to dp2.

rezzo

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2006
Chile
Great work with the guide, thx!

anyone has tried with ML DP2 and a MacBook2,1 (w/ GMA950)?

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
Hi madmacfan, thanx so lot for your hard work installing ML on MB 3.1. Please can you offer the needed patch files in a zipfile cause the terminal file will always saved as a textfile. I want update to dp2.

No problem. The zip file you asked for containing patch file and mod.bs is here

Great work with the guide, thx!

anyone has tried with ML DP2 and a MacBook2,1 (w/ GMA950)?

The GMA 950 64bit driver is extremely buggy and only has one resolution of 1024x768. The only hope of getting any decent GMA 950 64bit drivers, is to port the drivers over from linux. If someone can get hold of the 64bit linux drivers for GMA 950 then i'll have a go at porting them into os x.

Last edited:

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom

I've just had a look at the page you linked to and it looks like whats listed there is news on updates implemented to intel GPU'S, so I don't think it will be of much use. Thanks for your input. What I would really need to start the porting process, is the actual GMA 950 64bit driver from linux itself. Maybe someone out there who is currently running linux or who has access to linux install media, can help with tracking down the 64bit GMA 950 Drivers. I have tried to port the drivers over from windows, but it's just too much hassle to get them into a format which the mac can recognise, so the only solution is porting from linux.

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
If you are having trouble installing DP1 and you have followed the instructions by "Hackerwayne", Firstly hold down keys 3 and 2 at boot. If this does not work for you Hold down cmd v at boot and the mac should display a reason for why it cannot boot. tell me what is displayed there under reason and I'll be able to help you out further.

Sorry, I am afraid I didn't express myself well. I have a MacBook2,1 (GMA 950) with ML installed into an external USB disk. After few other tries this is my scenario:

- Verbose mode is always active (Ive set it in the NVRAM with Onyx).
- No GMA 950 kexts installed (there isn't the 64 bt version anyway). I just want it to boot completely for now.
- DP1 32 bits was booting. I could also manage to have the 10.7.3 loaded (nt that they were working fine, though. Videos are blank)
- boot.efi patched to 64 bits is booting, it shows the 64 bits addresses for USB and others, but then it always gets stuck to "Waiting for DSMOS". Very frustrating.

6) Allow DP2 to install and reboot at the end of the installation. If you have done everything right then you should be able to reach the 10.8 DP2 desktop.

Ok, so that is what I did:

- In DP2 I overwrote the boot.efi in the .dmg file with the patched (64 bits) one. I also changed OSInstall.mpg and added EFI32.mkpg as before. I know, it is messy.
- I've run the DP2 (modified) installation from Lion.
- It does run copying the files in the OS X Install subfolder and reboots.
- To be sure I overwrote in the ML install folder the boot.efi again with the patched one
- The boot in 64 bits goes fine and I reach the graphical menu. DSMOS arrives!!!
- It shows a windows with Time Machine, reinstall Mountain Lion, Disk Utility
- I choose reinstall Mountain Lion and it complains that my ML Install Image is damaged or something.

I even tried doing the install into the USB disk from a virtual machine (using the original DMG), changed the boot.efi and rebooted the physical Mac. Same identical thing.

So my conclusion is that your patched boot.efi should be fine for the GMA 950 Macs as well. It's just that I can't make either the DSMOS in DP1 or the Installer in DP2 proceeding.

BTW regarding the Linux GMA 950 drivers. I tried installing Ubuntu with the virtual machine trick. But I couldn't boot later from the external disc. My Mac doesn't boot USB legacy discs. Still checking around it seems that the Intel driver should be a single file for all chips. But I am afraid it is very much different from the way OS X defines them.

One last thing: what did you exactly patch in the boot.efi?! Just a check to see if the system could boot in 64 bits?

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
Sorry, I am afraid I didn't express myself well. I have a MacBook2,1 (GMA 950) with ML installed into an external USB disk. After few other tries this is my scenario:

- Verbose mode is always active (Ive set it in the NVRAM with Onyx).
- No GMA 950 kexts installed (there isn't the 64 bt version anyway). I just want it to boot completely for now.
- DP1 32 bits was booting. I could also manage to have the 10.7.3 loaded (nt that they were working fine, though. Videos are blank)
- boot.efi patched to 64 bits is booting, it shows the 64 bits addresses for USB and others, but then it always gets stuck to "Waiting for DSMOS". Very frustrating.

Ok, so that is what I did:

- In DP2 I overwrote the boot.efi in the .dmg file with the patched (64 bits) one. I also changed OSInstall.mpg and added EFI32.mkpg as before. I know, it is messy.
- I've run the DP2 (modified) installation from Lion.
- It does run copying the files in the OS X Install subfolder and reboots.
- To be sure I overwrote in the ML install folder the boot.efi again with the patched one
- The boot in 64 bits goes fine and I reach the graphical menu. DSMOS arrives!!!
- It shows a windows with Time Machine, reinstall Mountain Lion, Disk Utility
- I choose reinstall Mountain Lion and it complains that my ML Install Image is damaged or something.

I even tried doing the install into the USB disk from a virtual machine (using the original DMG), changed the boot.efi and rebooted the physical Mac. Same identical thing.

So my conclusion is that your patched boot.efi should be fine for the GMA 950 Macs as well. It's just that I can't make either the DSMOS in DP1 or the Installer in DP2 proceeding.

BTW regarding the Linux GMA 950 drivers. I tried installing Ubuntu with the virtual machine trick. But I couldn't boot later from the external disc. My Mac doesn't boot USB legacy discs. Still checking around it seems that the Intel driver should be a single file for all chips. But I am afraid it is very much different from the way OS X defines them.

One last thing: what did you exactly patch in the boot.efi?! Just a check to see if the system could boot in 64 bits?

Hi there. I did mention in the steps I posted above that this will not work with GMA 950 chipsets, as I've tested it myself and the GMA 950 always ran into DSMOS problems, But the GMA X3100 seems to work ok without encountering problems. I always knew that macbook 2,1 and macbook 3,1's could boot into a 64bit kernel, so all this was about, was making some decent 64bit drivers, something that apple couldn't quite achieve with these chipsets.

In the patch I wrote a series of instructions to force the mac to boot into 64bit kernel, by erasing and rewriting the original 32bit kernel default instructions with new 64bit kernel instructions, therefore making 64bit the default, as 32bit no longer exists. I then rebuilt the GMA X3100 64bit drivers from 10.6.2, to work with 10.8 and added them to the patch, to stop kernel panics occurring at boot.

The GMA 950 chipset drivers differ vastly from the way the drivers were written for the GMA X3100, hence why a patched boot.efi file designed for GMA X3100 chipsets won't work with GMA 950 chipsets. Running the modded DP2 installer from lion will not work, it has to be upgraded from 10.8 DP1. Adding the osinstall.mpkg and the EFI32.mpkg file will not work as it did for DP1, As DP2 no longer supports 32bit kernel and this is hard coded into the os itself. This will be the reason why you are told that your ML install disc is damaged.

The Only solution is to port the GMA 950 64bit drivers over from linux, without this, the only way people with the GMA 950 chipset can boot DP2 is with chameleon. I don't recommend using chameleon on a mac anyway, as It completely removes the original macs firmware, and the only way to get it back is to visit an apple store and have them reflash the original firmware back onto the affected mac. If someone can get hold of the GMA 950 64bit drivers from linux, then i will have a go at porting them into os x. As yet I haven't had much luck tracking down the required drivers, so any help locating the drivers will be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
Thanx for the zip file. Patches were sucessful but About this Mac shows 32 bit. There are some 32 bit extensions. See hc http://db.tt/MbRysx22. Anz idea. I cant use any share as smb nor afp.

Just had a look at the picture you posted in the link and the AppleIntelGMAX3100 and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB are both running in 64bit, so the patch is working absolutely fine. If you click on the software tab, your macbook will say yes under 64bit kernel and extensions

I see 4 of the extensions listed are showing as 32bit processes. As your macbook is running in 64bit kernel I wouldn't worry about those processes too much as they look like they are to do with the os. If you have 32bit applications installed then you will have some processes showing as 32bit.

Last edited:

coolio2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Just had a look at the picture you posted in the link and the AppleIntelGMAX3100 and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB are both running in 64bit, so the patch is working absolutely fine. If you click on the software tab, your macbook will say yes under 64bit kernel and extensions

I see 4 of the extensions listed are showing as 32bit processes. As your macbook is running in 64bit kernel I wouldn't worry about those processes too much as they look like they are to do with the os. If you have 32bit applications installed then you will have some processes showing as 32bit.

Software tab says no- see picture: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8131532/Screen Shot 2012-03-20 at 23.46.34.png
Patch in com.apple.Boot.plist shows x86_64 command but no kernel 64 bit.

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
Hi there. I did mention in the steps I posted above that this will not work with GMA 950 chipsets, as I've tested it myself and the GMA 950 always ran into DSMOS problems,

Actually it did pass the 64 bits DSMOS after (re)booting to proceed with the DP2 installation. I presume the DSMOS is the same either installing or booting OS X. But sure, you know better. I am just puzzled.

The Only solution is to port the GMA 950 64bit drivers over from linux, without this, the only way people with the GMA 950 chipset can boot DP2 is with chameleon. I don't recommend using chameleon on a mac anyway, as It completely removes the original macs firmware, and the only way to get it back is to visit an apple store and have them reflash the original firmware back onto the affected mac. If someone can get hold of the GMA 950 64bit drivers from linux, then i will have a go at porting them into os x. As yet I haven't had much luck tracking down the required drivers, so any help locating the drivers will be very much appreciated.

Ok, thanks for the detailed explanation. I'll take a better look at Linux with a virtual machine, then. Hopefully the Intel drivers are there. On in the iso file. Not an expert on it , though.And Google hasn't been very friendly.

Last edited:

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
Software tab says no- see picture: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8131532/Screen Shot 2012-03-20 at 23.46.34.png
Patch in com.apple.Boot.plist shows x86_64 command but no kernel 64 bit.

That looks strange, it's showing up yes to 64bit kernel on the 3 macbook 3,1 machines i tested the patch on. Do you have the same after a second reboot. If so, did you install 10.8 DP1 as an upgrade over lion 10.7.3, if so, this may be why you are receiving such problems.

Actually it did pass the 64 bits DSMOS after (re)booting to proceed with the DP2 installation. I presume the DSMOS is the same either installing or booting OS X. But sure, you know better. I am just puzzled.

Ok, thanks for the detailed explanation. I'll take a better look at Linux with a virtual machine, then. Hopefully the Intel drivers are there. On in the iso file. Not an expert on it , though.And Google hasn't been very friendly.

I also originally thought the DSMOS was the same when installing and booting, that was until I had a more detailed look at how the GMA 950 drivers were constructed for mac, and straight away I could see a distinct difference with the way it handles installer scripts and boot scripts. This would explain why you are able to reach the ML recovery screens, but not able to install ML, as the installer reports your modded disc as damaged.

If you could have a better look at linux in virtual machine, to see if the drivers are there, that would be greatly appreciated. If the drivers are there, then I can extract the drivers directly from the linux iso image, which would help speed up the porting process.

Wow. Seems like this is a lot of hard work. Thanks for going through all the work! How simple will it be to do this once ML officially comes out?

Yes once ML is officially released, it should be a relatively hassle free procedure, The reason why we are having to find work arounds for each dev preview, is because each new dev preview that is released is effectively another mini os. Once ML is released, we won't have this problem, as there will only be one os to work with, making the patching process a whole lot easier.

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
If you could have a better look at linux in virtual machine, to see if the drivers are there, that would be greatly appreciated. If the drivers are there, then I can extract the drivers directly from the linux iso image, which would help speed up the porting process.

Ok mate, after messing up with the virtual machine and surfing in internet I think I've found the relevant drivers. They should include all Intel chipsets. At the bottom there are the download links for x86 and amd64 versions:

Debian:
http://packages.debian.org/sid/xserver-xorg-video-intel

Ubuntu:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/xserver-xorg-video-intel

Here there should be the source code:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/2:2.17.0-1ubuntu4

Also I've found an interesting link with an explanation of how the graphics drivers should work in Linux:
http://forums.opensuse.org/forums/e...raphic-card-practical-theory-guide-users.html

I hope this helps!

coolio2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
I did a clean reinstall of dp1, used the dp1 patch again, restarted and have the same issue-only 32 bit kernel.

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
Ok mate, after messing up with the virtual machine and surfing in internet I think I've found the relevant drivers. They should include all Intel chipsets. At the bottom there are the download links for x86 and amd64 versions:

Debian:
http://packages.debian.org/sid/xserver-xorg-video-intel

Ubuntu:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/xserver-xorg-video-intel

Here there should be the source code:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/2:2.17.0-1ubuntu4

Also I've found an interesting link with an explanation of how the graphics drivers should work in Linux:
http://forums.opensuse.org/forums/e...raphic-card-practical-theory-guide-users.html

I hope this helps!

Thanks for your great help with this, I think i've managed to find the correct driver that supports the GMA 950 chipset, so I'll attempt to port these drivers into os x and report back with my progress on this.

I did a clean reinstall of dp1, used the dp1 patch again, restarted and have the same issue-only 32 bit kernel.

Hi there, If you are having issues, Locate and remove the EFI32 file after you have installed both DP1 and the patch provided, then reboot and this should solve your problem. There seems to be something within the EFI32 file thats causing issues in DP1.

Last edited:

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Someone doing this trick on an older mac should really post a 'uname -a'.

ML DP2 at least does not come with a 32-bit kernel at all, so that will never run on older hardware. I never installed DP1 so I can't speak for that, which is why I ask.

It sounds to me a bit like you're somehow managing to run the Lion kernel with a Mountain Lion userland. Which would be an interesting thing to try if not, btw. Though anything reliant upon a ML-specific kernel feature would crash and burn.

Ah, never mind I missed a screenshot up above a bit that says Darwin 12.0.0, which is indeed the ML kernel.

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
Ah, never mind I missed a screenshot up above a bit that says Darwin 12.0.0, which is indeed the ML kernel.

Honestly I think you've missed the whole thread… :D

At least now, this is about running the 64 bits ML (DP2) kernel in the unsupported 64 bits Macs. The only (artificial I would say) limitation are the EFI 32 bits (which apparently wouldn't be such an issue to bypass, as the MadMacFan patches prove. So damn you Apple!!) and the 64 bits kexts for the (Intel) graphics chips. Those chips do run under a 64 bits kernel. Like Windows and Linux. It's just that Apple (again) didn't bother to invest few coins out of its $50 billions profit (more now I presume) to update the drivers.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Honestly I think you've missed the whole thread… :D

I actually read the whole thread looking for that bit of information because I noticed at some point the replacement of certain installer packages, one of which could have housed the kernel.

It would be interesting to try though. Install a ML system and replace the kernel and extensions with Lion's kernel and extensions, and see if it works. In theory the userland should be independent from the kernel, though as I said some things may depend on kernel support of certain APIs and whatnot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.