Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meechy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2010
So i was really against getting an apple watch when it was announced, but i just couldn't help myself and ordered a Stainless steel watch with the milanese band. Showed my partner it and she said it's ok, looks a bit feminine though.

What you all think?

jediuia

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
So i was really against getting an apple watch when it was announced, but i just couldn't help myself and ordered a Stainless steel watch with the milanese band. Showed my partner it and she said it's ok, looks a bit feminine though.

What you all think?

I tried it on and thought exactly what your girl said. It looked feminine and I even asked the apple rep. He didn't say he thought so as apple probably instructed them to be positive. He did say many other customers had said the Milanese loop looked like a woman's watch... It's all up to your opinion. I wouldn't have bought it either way as it was pulling my wrist hair out:eek:

abluehaze

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008

What you all think?

I can tell you that it didn't initially appeal to me at all but I tried it on the other day and it's extremely comfortable and very form fitting in addition to being pretty unique. I'm actually considering it now.

Technodynamic

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
I got the Milanese for myself. Wife was goin to get one too until she saw them in person and said "they look a little masculine". She ended up getting the pink leather band.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
People should just wear what "they" like and forget about what others think. When you are confident people are drawn to you regardless.

Confidence is key.

It's not like your wearing a skirt:D

Reactions: cruze1987

sb22

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
I feel they are too masculine for me. Its the type of thing I saw my Dad wear. But my friend loves it!:eek:

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
The Milanese band is unisex, which makes it a more feminine band than the link which is essentially a male-only band.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Very secure in my sexuality. No issues here

Exactly. Nothing I wear is feminine.... It's not in the cards for me. It's just not who I am as a person.

I would've liked a thicker milanese loop styling though.

applepuree

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2014
People should just wear what "they" like and forget about what others think. When you are confident people are drawn to you regardless.

Confidence is key.

It's not like your wearing a skirt:D

....unless your a Scot..... *

* Or other nationality where men wear skirts.

sailermon

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2015
Northern California
I tried it on and thought exactly what your girl said. It looked feminine and I even asked the apple rep. He didn't say he thought so as apple probably instructed them to be positive. He did say many other customers had said the Milanese loop looked like a woman's watch... It's all up to your opinion. I wouldn't have bought it either way as it was pulling my wrist hair out:eek:

It certainly don't look feminine to me, especially with the 42mm SS, but I'm wondering about your wrist hair pulling comment. I haven't heard anyone else say that about the Milanese SS loop band and I would like to know if this is the general view of others who have tried it on.

pflau

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007

What you all think?

I say yes, because of the texture of the band. I wish it came it black so the texture are not as noticeable.

With that said, the Milanese Loop is bare none the most comfortable band I tried on.

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
The nice woman in the Apple Store commented to my SO that the Milanese loop and the modern buckle are among the best selling bands among women.

It is a unisex band that is popular with women. Take that as you will.

kdarling

macrumors P6
The Milanese band is unisex, which makes it a more feminine band than the link which is essentially a male-only band.

Yeah, I think it's a comparative thing. Link is more masculine than Milanese. (Mind you, I'm wearing a black Milanese loop right now.)

It also depends on the situation. For instance, silk trim is usually considered feminine, but both silk trim and a thin Milanese band would instead suddenly be considered elegantly masculine if you're in a tuxedo.

Formal dress is funny that way. The more elegant the situation, the more that finer materials are acceptable and even desirable. Conversely, in rougher situations, the reverse might be true.

All that said, wear what you want. Although it seems like half the forum bought Milanese, so it's not going to be a unique pairing, that's for sure.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
By the time the Watch releases, every single band/case/color is going to have a "Is the ____ too feminine??" thread lol!

But no, I do not think it is 'too feminine'. In fact, although some combinations are more masculine/feminine than others, I don't think a single one is "too much" of one or the other. If it suits your taste, who cares?

It's funny that you even mention the Milanese loop. It seems that tons of men here love it, myself included!

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
Not to me. The only thing I would consider a bit feminine is the modern buckle, and a bit masculine the link. And that's really pushing in both cases. Every other thing in the Watch line looks devoid of gender.

I see the milanese loop as being more techy than fashion, in my mind at least. When I see it being used formally, it also work. The upclose side shot form Apple like jewelry, but that's not really what it looks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.