Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I see the milanese loop as being more techy than fashion, in my mind at least. When I see it being used formally, it also work. The upclose side shot form Apple like jewelry, but that's not really what it looks.

The Milanese loop is actually a fairly old fashioned band, though mesh bands have been enjoying a resurgence lately.

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
So i was really against getting an apple watch when it was announced, but i just couldn't help myself and ordered a Stainless steel watch with the milanese band. Showed my partner it and she said it's ok, looks a bit feminine though.

What you all think?

I tried it on yesterday and I was immediately surprised by how 'small' it was - it was thin, and the loops were so small it felt more like a material.

I did think it was feminine yes (that is different, just to be clear, from 'designed for women' or 'only women should wear it').

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
So i was really against getting an apple watch when it was announced, but i just couldn't help myself and ordered a Stainless steel watch with the milanese band. Showed my partner it and she said it's ok, looks a bit feminine though.

What you all think?

Only if you think chain mail armor looks feminine.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
Lots of male's wear pink too. It doesn't matter anymore. It shouldn't have mattered to begin with. If you like it get it. If you like pink horses then enjoy it.

I ordered the 38mm SS classic buckle and the milanese band for a more professional look.

What you all think?

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2003
I tried it on in the store and thought it looked feminine. However, I think that if you're a sharp dresser, a guy can pull it off.

Personally, I accidentally ordered the wrong size leather loop so I'm going to have to stick with the other watch I ordered for a bit... which is the Milanese band. #firstworldproblems

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
I tried it on in the store and thought it looked feminine. However, I think that if you're a sharp dresser, a guy can pull it off.

Personally, I accidentally ordered the wrong size leather loop so I'm going to have to stick with the other watch I ordered for a bit... which is the Milanese band. #firstworldproblems

The pictures I've seen that people have posted from within the Apple Store actually make the band look less feminine to me than the press shots.

I ordered it just because the link was too pricey and it looked comfortable. The modern buckle looks feminine to me.

All the guys I know who are interested in an  watch love the look of the Milanese.

metacove1

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2014
I think it's unisex as well. It's like an odd classy industrial look to me. I ordered one as well. Love the band.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US

What you all think?

I tried it on and didn't think it looked feminine. The deal breaker for me (other than the price) was that it was just a bit too shiny for my liking, much like the standard link bracelet.

jediuia

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
It certainly don't look feminine to me, especially with the 42mm SS, but I'm wondering about your wrist hair pulling comment. I haven't heard anyone else say that about the Milanese SS loop band and I would like to know if this is the general view of others who have tried it on.

On my hair pulling comment, yes there was another thread about it. Guys with longer hair said it wasn't an issue.. I have shorter hairs on my wrist as a few others did, and we all had the same issue of pulling hairs as we tightened it. I would try it on if I were you. It was actually a bit painful.

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013

What you all think?

I ordered the 42 ss with the Milanese. I wanted to see it in person. When I tried it on at the apple store, my voice immediate rose two octaves and I cancelled my order. :eek:;):apple:

InAustralia

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia
The Milanese Loop is definitely a unisex band, but when I tried it on and I thought it looked feminine.

My wife did not like it on me and said it was too feminine for me. The Apple Sales Assistant agreed but did say it was a very popular band choice.

After my try on process the Milanese Loop band became my least favourite band.

coolfilmaker

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
I say yes, because of the texture of the band. I wish it came it black so the texture are not as noticeable.

With that said, the Milanese Loop is bare none the most comfortable band I tried on.

You can get a powder coating kit for around $50 at Harbor Freight.

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
My wife had the same response today that it looked feminine. I personally don't give a crap and have been told numerous times that I have no sense of fashion. I will be ordering one to go with my black leather classic buckle. I liked the adjustability of the Milanese loop.

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
My wife liked it but said it was definitely feminine. Preferred the loop and sport bands for me.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Yes. Feminine. Wife said the same during the try on appt. I was never considering it, but tried it on to experience the magnetic clasp.

KGWVU

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Very secure in my sexuality. No issues here

It has nothing to do with being secure in your sexuality. Does being a secure straight guy make a sun dress not feminine? It is either feminine or it is not.

I have always felt the milanese band looks feminine. But who cares; buy whatever YOU like.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
It has nothing to do with being secure in your sexuality. Does being a secure straight guy make a sun dress not feminine? It is either feminine or it is not.

I have always felt the milanese band looks feminine. But who cares; buy whatever YOU like.

They arent feminine. You think they are feminine. That is an opinion at best.

Last edited:

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
Girls think the Milanese band IS faminine. I think if you were to buy one as a dude, 42mm may be a pass. Definitely not okay for a straight dude in 38mm.

Zerozal

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
PA
Metal mesh watch bracelets are a tradition in fine watches and the history goes back decades. They were a standard part of big stainless steel sport, dive, and pilots watches. Most definitely not feminine.

DSCF0599.jpg

7476_mesh_watch_600T.jpg

la+foto+2.JPG

MeshIWCXV7.gif

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Metal mesh watch bracelets are a tradition in fine watches and the history goes back decades. They were a standard part of big stainless steel sport, dive, and pilots watches. Most definitely not feminine.

In all due respect, the Apple watch is not as bulky as the ones u posted , and the mess on the Apple watch is much finer. Compared to those pics, the Apple watch loop looks feminine . In my opinion. Milanese loops are also made for females.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.