Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drjack69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Graininess has always impacted file size for me. Anything that is older and has a true film feel comes out quite large. I just encoded The Process Bride from disc and it was about 15GB (1.6 hr run time). I don't bother using the de-noise setting as I've never liked the results and I'm perfectly fine with large file sizes (LOTR extended edition are about 20GB at 4.5 hrs).

That's weird! Return of the King 1080p extended 5.1 is 8.6GB on mine. My method was Makemkv-mkvtoolnix (to join the discs together)-subler for the subtitles-handbrake aTV3 settings. It's nearly as good as the BD...

Interesting that we all seem to be having problems with grain though...

Edit: i used no filters at all with LOTR... just standard atv3 preset.

Last edited:

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
That's weird! Return of the King 1080p extended 5.1 is 8.6GB on mine. My method was Makemkv-mkvtoolnix (to join the discs together)-subler for the subtitles-handbrake aTV3 settings. It's nearly as good as the BD...

Interesting that we all seem to be having problems with grain though...

Edit: i used no filters at all with LOTR... just standard atv3 preset.

I actually use the High Profile preset, and add in 3 sound tracks: 2ch, 5.1, and DTS pass thru in Handbrake. I do full disc extracts with MKV and encoded with HB (can't recall what I used to join them. Subler or MP4tools or something like that).

Movie is 4:23 and comes in at 19.6GB.

drjack69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
I actually use the High Profile preset, and add in 3 sound tracks: 2ch, 5.1, and DTS pass thru in Handbrake. I do full disc extracts with MKV and encoded with HB (can't recall what I used to join them. Subler or MP4tools or something like that).

Movie is 4:23 and comes in at 19.6GB.

That's probably why... I just did one audio track with makemkv (True HD), let HB mix it down for the stereo track to prologic II and let it do an AC3 "passthrough" ... I think HB changes this from DTS to DD in AAC at 640 so arguably, the audio is compressed and it's not a true passthrough, but aTV doesn't support DTS so what can you do? Perhaps that's why I got such a small file size... Still... it looks and sounds awesome to me!

drjack69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Batman (1989) is 5.6GB and 1920x1080, 5.1 + stereo... ATV3 preset in HB. Quality is superb!

So I suppose... the proof of the pudding is that graininess is the overiding factor considering that apparently dark scenes also result in big file sizes...

I'll do Saving Private Ryan next just to see...

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
You can't really compare 2 different movies- even if the horiz & vert would be identical and make such a conclusion. If you don't believe me, render a 1920 x 1080 single color for the same length of time as either Aliens or Batman. Then run that through HB with the same preset and see what you get.

drjack69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
You can't really compare 2 different movies- even if the horiz & vert would be identical and make such a conclusion. If you don't believe me, render a 1920 x 1080 single color for the same length of time as either Aliens or Batman. Then run that through HB with the same preset and see what you get.

Hi... both movies are around 2hrs long, both are pretty dark throughout. both have larger than usual resolutions and both are from the around same time period (86 and 89). However, Aliens is incredibly grainy and Batman is not...

I wouldn't dare to make such sweeping generalisations as you suggest, but it is interesting... I have since ripped Batman Returns which is virtually the same length as Batman and the same resolution (1920x1080) and that has come out at just under 7GB.

I suppose what I am trying to ascertain from this thread is...

What makes a BD rip so big in Handbrake and is there anything we can do to reduce massive file sizes without sacrificing quality? It simply can't be a case of "well some movies just come out bigger!" There has to be some logical explanation...

It baffles me why I can get a 4hr movie (LOTR ROTK ext ed) down to under 9GB and pretty much indenticle to the blu ray and Aliens comes in at 20GB. My findings with Batman vs Aliens (that'd be a good film cash-in wouldn't it? haha) would lead me to the conclusion that graininess is a massive factor, but I am open to be proved completely wrong... I am just a noob!

Edit: sorry... spelling and grammar completely out of the window... too early... my cats have woken me up "identical" and "proven" is what I meant to say

Last edited:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Hi... both movies are around 2hrs long, both are pretty dark throughout. both have larger than usual resolutions and both are from the around same time period (86 and 89). However, Aliens is incredibly grainy and Batman is not...

I wouldn't dare to make such sweeping generalisations as you suggest, but it is interesting... I have since ripped Batman Returns which is virtually the same length as Batman and the same resolution (1920x1080) and that has come out at just under 7GB.

What makes a BD rip so big in Handbrake and is there anything we can do to reduce massive file sizes without sacrificing quality? It simply can't be a case of "well some movies just come out bigger!" There has to be some logical explanation...

It baffles me why I can get a 4hr movie (LOTR ROTK ext ed) down to under 9GB and pretty much indenticle to the blu ray and Aliens comes in at 20GB. My findings with Batman vs Aliens (that'd be a good film cash-in wouldn't it? haha) would lead me to the conclusion that graininess is a massive factor, but I am open to be proved completely wrong... I am just a noob!

Edit: sorry... spelling and grammar completely out of the window... too early... my cats have woken me up "identical" and "proven" is what I meant to say
There are a lot of variables between BR's. For instance, in a grainy movie, HB is trying to accurately reproduce every grain. That's a lot of data! The are a lot of other factors too, e.g. darkness, amount of motion, etc. So yes, large files sizes are the result of HB trying to precisely reproduce the film image and only removing data if it does not degrade the image. Unfortunately, with some movies less data can be "thrown out".

I file size is that big of an issue, I would recommend selecting a single chapter and try lowering the quality setting until you start to see artifacts, then just backing off those settings. The place where you notice those artifacts also have lots of variables, such as your personal ability to see artifacts, viewing distance, room lighting, tv size, etc. By just selecting a single chapter you decrease the time investment in trying to find that "sweet spot" of quality/file size....which is different for all of us.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
drjack, you are asking an extraordinarily subjective question and can't get good input from anyone here telling you what "they" do, as they would be making very subjective decisions too.

And you can't judge dark Batman vs. dark Aliens as any kind of objective test. It doesn't matter that they are the about the same movie length. Again, go max dark- use something like Keynote to render the (one) color BLACK at 1920 x 1080 for the exact same amount of minutes as either Batman or Aliens. (Every pixel) Black is as dark as a "film" can get. Then, run that render through Handbrake and see what you get.

The file size of movies (subjectively judged as "both are dark" or not) is going to vary widely if you want to key on quality. Grainy films are going to be big files because HB is trying to capture all the detail in the grain. It's that variety of detail (variety of pixel colors) that is going to yield a larger file.

Here's an easy metaphor to help you think about what HB is doing: pull out a pad of paper, take a pencil and reproduce a picture with much detail as good as you can. Turn the page (to a new blank page) and draw a picture of a single color: let's say white, so you don't have to actually even touch the pencil to the paper. Which one took the most time & effort to draw? Obviously, the first. The first required a lot of "data store" because there was a lot of detail in the frame to "capture." The second didn't require any detail. Go scan each picture. The first is going to end up a much bigger file than the second for the same reason.

Now think about a moving picture: 24-30 frames (sketches) per second. If in the first one you were drawing what you see looking out the window as you drive down a highway, those frames are going to vary widely as the scene changes. If you are going to capture what you see in great detail (quality), it's going to take a LOT of careful drawing (HB processing) of each frame to capture all that detail for "playback" later. All those pages (frames) of the pad are going to be full of ever-changing detail. The pad represents the "storage" of the movie you are capturing as individual frames.

Let's imagine each of the drawing pads has 1,000 pages (frames). In pad #2, the movie is just the (one) color white. Rather than needing a fresh frame by flipping to page 2, you can just hold on page 1, as the image is exactly the same. In fact, in pad #2, you never need a new frame to reproduce the pure white you see. So, you can simply "play" page one 1,000 times to create an equal length "movie" of pad #1.

Both pads have the exact same horiz and vert resolution. You've subjectively put in the level of quality you want in drawing the individual "frames" in pad #1 and pad #2 is a perfect quality reproduction of it's "movie" (the color white). What's the storage like? Pad #1 is the "file" storage of 1000 individually-drawn pages at whatever level of quality you chose to put into drawing each frame. Pad #2 can be "stored" as just page 1 shown 1000 times. The "file size" of pad #1 is 1000 pages and pad #2 is 1 page.

As to your question of quality vs. file size, no one can help you get it right because only you can decide how much quality you want to trade off to get the file size you desire. Anyone else offering suggestions are basing it on what they subjectively choose as a balance of quality vs. file size. The easiest answer for you is to choose the :apple:TV3 preset and move the quality slider up a notch, render, move it up another notch, render, another, render, etc... and then compare each render until quality falls below your own threshold. Each notch up should yield a smaller file. So when you get to your quality threshold, you'll have the one best answer to your question.

What makes a BD rip so big in Handbrake and is there anything we can do to reduce massive file sizes without sacrificing quality?
To paraphrase Apple PR spin, you're thinking this wrong. HB is reducing massive file sizes with minimal losses of quality at the default setting. If you check the file size of the original BD vs. the version rendered by HB, you'll likely see a big cut in file size without a noticeable loss in quality. Sometimes that's going to yield a 20+GB file size for some movies and other times it might squeeze something down to <3GB. It's taking the amount of "pad" pages necessary to store the movie detail so that a viewer will probably not be able to see a difference.

What you're wanting is much more compression without a loss of quality and that's not available. HB is doing as good as it can leveraging THE codec for that exact task. To get smaller file sizes, you have to start sacrificing quality, or resolution, or color depth, etc (all of which could fall under "quality"). The next gen codec- H.265- has some claims (or maybe spin) claiming it can compress much better than H.264 such that it can yield up to 50% smaller files without a loss of quality. But H.265 is not fully here yet and both Apple and the HB crew will need to make changes to embrace it when it is finally adopted. In the meantime, H.264 is THE way and it's either maximum quality OR minimum file size. There is no MAX Quality AND MIN file size solution much better than what you can get out of HB.

Last edited:

drjack69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Huh ? Dark scenes ?

Sorry... as in there's a lot of night time stuff and therefore a lot of black.... I dunno.. I read that a lot of black makes file sizes bigger somewhere...

----------

There are a lot of variables between BR's. For instance, in a grainy movie, HB is trying to accurately reproduce every grain. That's a lot of data! The are a lot of other factors too, e.g. darkness, amount of motion, etc. So yes, large files sizes are the result of HB trying to precisely reproduce the film image and only removing data if it does not degrade the image. Unfortunately, with some movies less data can be "thrown out".

I file size is that big of an issue, I would recommend selecting a single chapter and try lowering the quality setting until you start to see artifacts, then just backing off those settings. The place where you notice those artifacts also have lots of variables, such as your personal ability to see artifacts, viewing distance, room lighting, tv size, etc. By just selecting a single chapter you decrease the time investment in trying to find that "sweet spot" of quality/file size....which is different for all of us.

Thank you sir! your tips have been invaluable (dark knight trilogy all about the same size having used your chapter trick... simple really... should have thought of that before... doh).

----------

drjack, you are asking an extraordinarily subjective question and can't get good input from anyone here telling you what "they" do, as they would be making very subjective decisions too.

And you can't judge dark Batman vs. dark Aliens as any kind of objective test. It doesn't matter that they are the about the same movie length. Again, go max dark- use something like Keynote to render the (one) color BLACK at 1920 x 1080 for the exact same amount of minutes as either Batman or Aliens. (Every pixel) Black is as dark as a "film" can get. Then, run that render through Handbrake and see what you get.

The file size of movies (subjectively judged as "both are dark" or not) is going to vary widely if you want to key on quality. Grainy films are going to be big files because HB is trying to capture all the detail in the grain. It's that variety of detail (variety of pixel colors) that is going to yield a larger file.

Here's an easy metaphor to help you think about what HB is doing: pull out a pad of paper, take a pencil and reproduce a picture with much detail as good as you can. Turn the page (to a new blank page) and draw a picture of a single color: let's say white, so you don't have to actually even touch the pencil to the paper. Which one took the most time & effort to draw? Obviously, the first. The first required a lot of "data store" because there was a lot of detail in the frame to "capture." The second didn't require any detail. Go scan each picture. The first is going to end up a much bigger file than the second for the same reason.

Now think about a moving picture: 24-30 frames (sketches) per second. If in the first one you were drawing what you see looking out the window as you drive down a highway, those frames are going to vary widely as the scene changes. If you are going to capture what you see in great detail (quality), it's going to take a LOT of careful drawing (HB processing) of each frame to capture all that detail for "playback" later. All those pages (frames) of the pad are going to be full of ever-changing detail. The pad represents the "storage" of the movie you are capturing as individual frames.

Let's imagine each of the drawing pads has 1,000 pages (frames). In pad #2, the movie is just the (one) color white. Rather than needing a fresh frame by flipping to page 2, you can just hold on page 1, as the image is exactly the same. In fact, in pad #2, you never need a new frame to reproduce the pure white you see. So, you can simply "play" page one 1,000 times to create an equal length "movie" of pad #1.

Both pads have the exact same horiz and vert resolution. You've subjectively put in the level of quality you want in drawing the individual "frames" in pad #1 and pad #2 is a perfect quality reproduction of it's "movie" (the color white). What's the storage like? Pad #1 is the "file" storage of 1000 individually-drawn pages at whatever level of quality you chose to put into drawing each frame. Pad #2 can be "stored" as just page 1 shown 1000 times. The "file size" of pad #1 is 1000 pages and pad #2 is 1 page.

As to your question of quality vs. file size, no one can help you get it right because only you can decide how much quality you want to trade off to get the file size you desire. Anyone else offering suggestions are basing it on what they subjectively choose as a balance of quality vs. file size. The easiest answer for you is to choose the :apple:TV3 preset and move the quality slider up a notch, render, move it up another notch, render, another, render, etc... and then compare each render until quality falls below your own threshold. Each notch up should yield a smaller file. So when you get to your quality threshold, you'll have the one best answer to your question.

To paraphrase Apple PR spin, you're thinking this wrong. HB is reducing massive file sizes with minimal losses of quality at the default setting. If you check the file size of the original BD vs. the version rendered by HB, you'll likely see a big cut in file size without a noticeable loss in quality. Sometimes that's going to yield a 20+GB file size for some movies and other times it might squeeze something down to <3GB. It's taking the amount of "pad" pages necessary to store the movie detail so that a viewer will probably not be able to see a difference.

What you're wanting is much more compression without a loss of quality and that's not available. HB is doing as good as it can leveraging THE codec for that exact task. To get smaller file sizes, you have to start sacrificing quality, or resolution, or color depth, etc (all of which could fall under "quality"). The next gen codec- H.265- has some claims (or maybe spin) claiming it can compress much better than H.264 such that it can yield up to 50% smaller files without a loss of quality. But H.265 is not fully here yet and both Apple and the HB crew will need to make changes to embrace it when it is finally adopted. In the meantime, H.264 is THE way and it's either maximum quality OR minimum file size. There is no MAX Quality AND MIN file size solution much better than what you can get out of HB.

You obviously know your stuff and thank you for your very knowledgeable responses... duly noted...

But stop busting my balls man!! :)

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
If you run across something that satisfies all your lofty goals...please, please, please let us know!!!! :)

drjack69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
If you run across something that satisfies all your lofty goals...please, please, please let us know!!!! :)

Will do... the experience is helping a lot.... It's just trying to understand it...I'm from an audio background (sound engineer in the traditional sense... ie bands etc with bits of hardware... forced into digital somewhat but I'm still running a G4 with Pro Tools 6.4 for music... it's now at version 11... lol).... So video is a bit over my head at the mo. Thanks again!

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Will do... the experience is helping a lot.... It's just trying to understand it...I'm from an audio background (sound engineer in the traditional sense... ie bands etc with bits of hardware... forced into digital somewhat but I'm still running a G4 with Pro Tools 6.4 for music... it's now at version 11... lol).... So video is a bit over my head at the mo. Thanks again!
That makes me curious, so I have to ask: As a sound engineer, don't your have to constantly balance audio quality vs compression?

drjack69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
That makes me curious, so I have to ask: As a sound engineer, don't your have to constantly balance audio quality vs compression?

Depends on what you are talking about... compression traditionally or digitally?

If you're talking about compression traditionally (in simple terms), it's all about dynamic range. Polar opposites of the differences in terms of sound would be Grace by Jeff Buckley (just to name one... there are lots of bands who shun over compressed sounds) and just about anything released since 2003.... (LOUDER LOUDER LOUDER!!! hehe).

I suspect however, that you refer to digital compression.... In which case, you're only capable of hearing between about 60hz and 20000hz so arguably, a CD which according to Nyquist's theorem, is pretty much as good as you are gonna hear. Blu rays (and actually DVD's) usually have a sample rate of 48khz (google nyquist and save me some typing)... way more than you'll ever need (in fact someone once said to me that BD's are at 92khz... crazy... dunno if that's true or not). In terms of bit-rate (16 vs 24 or even 32 these days) you can hear it if your ear is trained enough... especially when listening to something with enough dynamic range (although I defy anyone to tell me they can hear the difference between 24 and 32 bit).

However, I'm pretty happy to have my record collection on itunes at either iTunes plus (i forget.... is it 256?) or 320... through a normal HIFI, you probably won't hear the difference... studio monitors... you probably will (the snare drum wil probably shoot off to the right speaker etc etc... in fact I've heard other engineers say they can hear the artifacts in iPod headphones... I've never heard "the masses" complain though)

Anyway... I'm probably boring you to tears....

the thing with movies is, I just want it to look and sound awesome on my home cinema set up (ie I am one of the masses but with a little bit of an inkling into how good it can possibly look and sound), the same way I will not sit there pontificating about bit rate or sample rate when listening to Appetite For Destruction...

But music compression is much simpler... a 6 minute song at 320 will be x amount in AAC... a 3 minute song at 320 will be x amount (give or take a few kb). this is why video is baffling me...

Edit: sorry... human hearing is 20-20k... was just thinking of my EQ's lowest setting

Last edited:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I knew I was playing with fire when I asked that question!!!:D

Has anyone done something similar to Nyquist's Theorem for video? By that, I mean defined the ranges of human vision and applied that to spec ranges of visual media? Did that make sense? :eek:

But I digress...sorry to move this thread off topic.

drjack69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
I knew I was playing with fire when I asked that question!!!:D

Has anyone done something similar to Nyquist's Theorem for video? By that, I mean defined the ranges of human vision and applied that to spec ranges of visual media? Did that make sense? :eek:

But I digress...sorry to move this thread off topic.

Sorry... I knew I was gonna bore the pants off people wit that... I really should have just said... "nah it doesn't bother me as long as I can hear my records fine on the old hifi".... I'm sure Mr HobeSoundDarryl will know about what you want to know. He really seems to know a lot about video stuff! That comment, HobeSoundDarryl is out of admiration, not out of any resentment for the aforementioned ball-busting! :)

drjack69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Oh I should also have stated in my simplified reply that I can't listen to anything under 256kbps... then I really can hear squelchy horrible artifacts... even on the humble HIFI... when ripping films on handbrake I notice the stereo track on aTV3 is 160... I suppose I get distracted by the video content (and also when watching in stereo, it's in the bedroom with just the TV speakers)

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I've come at this in several ways now and since I'm a "maximize quality" guy (else, what's the point of Blu Ray, why not just rip the movies from DVD? You'll get the smaller file sizes you seek at DVD-quality viewing), I'll offer one last observation to combat the concern of file size at the expense of some quality to get the file size you seek:

A 4TB 3.5" drive costs < $200 right now. 4000GB/20GB (file sizes) = 200 overly large "file size" movies. <$400 can store 400 of those overly large movie files. <$600 will hold 600. And so on.

Now, assuming Aliens and it's ilk are the anomaly and you have a bunch of "lighter" movies coming out at- say- 10GB on average, the same math at an overall average of about 12GB-per-movie looks like this:
<$200 buys you about 333 movies (stored)
<$400 buys you about 666 movies (stored)
<$600 buys you about 999 movies (stored)

Unless, you have a HUGE library of BD to convert (and you want to convert all of them), it seems like just 1+ of those drives would probably cover your entire movie library. You could let go of the impossible goal of highest quality with much smaller file sizes and just leverage a few Franklins to buy the space to basically ignore "file size" surges on select, dark or grainy movies.

Else, wait for H.265 which promises something more along the lines of what you seem to seek.

drjack69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
I've come at this in several ways now and since I'm a "maximize quality" guy (else, what's the point of Blu Ray, why not just rip the movies from DVD? You'll get the smaller file sizes you seek at DVD-quality viewing), I'll offer one last observation to combat the concern of file size at the expense of some quality to get the file size you seek:

A 4TB 3.5" drive costs < $200 right now. 4000GB/20GB (file sizes) = 200 overly large "file size" movies. <$400 can store 400 of those overly large movie files. <$600 will hold 600. And so on.

Now, assuming Aliens and it's ilk are the anomaly and you have a bunch of "lighter" movies coming out at- say- 10GB on average, the same math at an overall average of about 12GB-per-movie looks like this:
<$200 buys you about 333 movies (stored)
<$400 buys you about 666 movies (stored)
<$600 buys you about 999 movies (stored)

Unless, you have a HUGE library of BD to convert (and you want to convert all of them), it seems like just 1+ of those drives would probably cover your entire movie library. You could let go of the impossible goal of highest quality with much smaller file sizes and just leverage a few Franklins to buy the space to basically ignore "file size" surges on select, dark or grainy movies.

Else, wait for H.265 which promises something more along the lines of what you seem to seek.

I think I'm going to have to take your good self and mic J's advice and go down the external drive route for iTunes. I'm buying movies from iTunes now anyway rather than BD unless it's really special... ie: I bought The Hobbit from iTunes because I'll wait for the extended edition for BD (although how on earth Peter Jackson could possibly extend it is beyond me... but that's a different and very lengthy debate). A 4TB would probably suit me fine (although I'd have to buy two... I lost my entire iTunes library due to a WD mybook 500GB a few years ago).

As I said, it's just weird for me from an audio background...

Ripped Dark Knight Trilogy yesterday... Dark Knight Rises 2:44 hours (film length)=6GB, Dark Knight 2:32 hours=7GB. Both look great and sound great!

But I'll get my head round it at some point I'm sure. But thank you for sage-like advice in the meantime....

Last edited:

bmcelvan

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2014
Hi All,

Just in the process of ripping my blu ray library and have run into a bit of an anomally.

Ripped LOTR extended editions (pain in the bum because they're over two discs... cue lots of programes to make them play properly with subs for the elvish bits but that's a different thread), and got file sizes about 10GB each which is fine because they're each about 3-4 hours long...

Hi, can you give me a quick list of how you converted the two BD titles [LOTR] into one file...I've been trying to do this for a year now and still can't figure out a good way to do it properly.

Thanks

QWERTYMac7

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2012
Hi, can you give me a quick list of how you converted the two BD titles [LOTR] into one file...I've been trying to do this for a year now and still can't figure out a good way to do it properly.

Thanks

FWIW I use MakeMKV to initially rip DVDs and Blu-Rays - then to join a two disc movie I use Mkvtoolnix - it's pretty easy.

Then onto Handbrake...

Good luck!

bmcelvan

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2014
FWIW I use MakeMKV to initially rip DVDs and Blu-Rays - then to join a two disc movie I use Mkvtoolnix - it's pretty easy.

Then onto Handbrake...

Good luck!

That sound easy...how exactly can you use mkvtoolnix to join files. Are you joining mkv files or bluray folder structures or can you do both?

Do you use mkvmerge or another program?

In mkvmerge I've tried using the additional parts function...while it seems to output the right file size the file I get only ever plays the first title, or file I inputted.

thx

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
My LOTR rips are around 5gb each. Used the ATV3 presets with film and veryslow encode. I reduced the resolution to 720p which I can also tell a difference between 1080p but isn't worth the file size to me. 720p looks good, its not until I do a side by side comparison that I can notice a difference and even then I'm pausing the video and switching back and forth between the 2 to see it. While I really like LOTR I can't justify 30+gb of my HD dedicated too it.

When ATV can handle better encoding methods (h265) then I'll look back into 1080p rips however even then I still may lean on smaller file sizes vs quality.

I play all my media on a 55" Samsung TV and most people that watch are surprised with the quality albeit they aren't videophiles like some of you guys.

EDIT: I don't know why I'm trying to make a case for 720p since I know the quality isn't as good. I guess I'm just surprised about how noticeable of a difference it is too you guys. Maybe I'm just stingy with HD space lol.

QWERTYMac7

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2012
That sound easy...how exactly can you use mkvtoolnix to join files. Are you joining mkv files or bluray folder structures or can you do both?

Do you use mkvmerge or another program?

In mkvmerge I've tried using the additional parts function...while it seems to output the right file size the file I get only ever plays the first title, or file I inputted.

thx

I have not done it in a while - Just opened it up and it's actually MKVmerge - sorry for the confusion.

That being said, you click 'add' and find the first MKV file, the click, 'add' and grab the second file then click 'append'

I have a Mac, it may be different on a PC.

Good Luck!

mpias

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2005

I know this thread is a couple years old but I've been recently learning about ripping blu-ray movies. I use MakeMKV and then process it through HandBreak. The original movie was 13 GB which was too big for storage. I went to the HB website and did some reading. I ignored the presets and set the format to mp4, the encoding to H.264, set the framerate to "Constant Framerate" and changed the RF number to about 22. The resulting file was less than 1 GB! (The higher the RF number, the smaller the resulting size and the scale is logarithmic. I was hoping for a size between 3-5 GB so I ran it again at 17 and the movie was within my range. I changed nothing else. Naturally the length will vary depending in the complexity of the graphics so some fiddling with the RF number might be in order if you have your heart set on a particular size, but that's how it's done.

By the way, I couldn't see any detectable difference between the 900 MB version and the larger one on a 15" rMBP and both were 1920 x 1080.

I hope this might help someone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.