Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marbles1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2011
Anything Nintendo created would have to be supported over the long haul, for many many years. They’re happy to do that on platforms where, when a new version of hardware comes out, they expect users to pay again. However, supporting millions of folks that would pay once and expect it to work every time a new version of hardware or OS is released on whatever alternate platform it’s released on? The money they’re leaving on the table would be devoured by support over time.

They could offer the service by subscription. A monthly fee for access to the catalogue, maybe different tiers etc. That should allow them to provide it in perpetuity.

But I get your point, they do like their current model of selling the old games to 'keep' on every console they release and then over time closing down online access once the console has been superseded. I just don't think that's sustainable if we now have easy emulation on devices like iPhones.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
It's not a positive moment. Apple is now facilitating illegal activities, allowing people to play pirated games.

Apple actually made a conscious decision to allow this, so I wonder what the lawyers of Nintendo will have to say about this.

emulation is not illegal AFAIK.

The games themselves you could own a physical copy of them, but do not have a working console to play them on let alone the fact the old wires do not connect to new tv's

Reactions: QuarterSwede

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'm just confused by this mentality. Emulators have been a thing forever, including on other Apple computers.

And all this worrisome on Nintendo. They are a massive, healthy company. All of the games I've picked up are games that are not part of their Nintendo Switch Online catalog, they are from a console that has been discontinued for 20 years and games that are only available through ebay that would not be revenue for Nintendo or the developers. If Nintendo cared about it, then they could still provide the product that people want (and yes, I acknowledge that many popular titles are still available on NSO).

Regardless, I'm still confused by this weird sanctimonious defense for Nintendo in these recent conversations. It's not like a Switch emulator is available that will directly affect Nintendo and developers.
Exactly!!

I bought one of those SNES Minis when they were released, but me buying a Miyoo Mini Plus doesn’t take anything away from Nintendo since they no longer make anything like a GameBoy. 🤷🏻‍♂️

orangeadrenaline

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2021
They could offer the service by subscription. A monthly fee for access to the catalogue, maybe different tiers etc. That should allow them to provide it in perpetuity.

But I get your point, they do like their current model of selling the old games to 'keep' on every console they release and then over time closing down online access once the console has been superseded. I just don't think that's sustainable if we now have easy emulation on devices like iPhones.
If it’s like their other apps, Nintendo would require internet connectivity to play. That’s terrible.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
Oh I forgot to mention something.

Most emulators have a checksum check that matches your game roms against an online database. That allows it to download cover arts for your roms and gives you some confidence that there isn’t a virus.

But it also means your device is calling a server and your IP addresses are being logged.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Nothing completes the experience quite like an original form factor controller

Absolutely pick something up to get you close
It changes the experience, so much, for the better

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 11.12.13.png

Reactions: Abstract

orangeadrenaline

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2021
Oh I forgot to mention something.

Most emulators have a checksum check that matches your game roms against an online database. That allows it to download cover arts for your roms and gives you some confidence that there isn’t a virus.

But it also means your device is calling a server and your IP addresses are being logged.
Process is skipped if the game is in a .zip. Check the release notes

Walkingdead

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2024
Does anybody know:

1. How do you quit a game and get back to the pick a game screen.

2. Which button speeds up your ship in Roque Squadron while
Using a switch pro controller.

TH

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Does anybody know:

1. How do you quit a game and get back to the pick a game screen.

2. Which button speeds up your ship in Roque Squadron while
Using a switch pro controller.

TH
1. Press menu on the screen or whatever menu button you have on your controller (it varies). Then Main Menu
2. Can’t help with this one. I don’t have that controller.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Can you screen share via AirPlay to a TV?
Yes. It works very well (airplays to tv while on screen controls and menu system stays on the device). Also with no noticeable lag. Not sure how it works so well, but I played several games on different systems without issue. It works much better than you think it will. Totally playable day to day.

Walkingdead

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2024
Do those work with Controllers?
I see reports of the skin not working once an external controller comes into play (which is where full screen, for instance, would be most desirable anyhow)
If you mean can you play the games with controllers, yes. But I'm not sure that what youre asking TBH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.