Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
3.1415926 ; all I need for my daily life

On a related side note: another number I will never forget: 1 mole

6.022x10^23
My teacher always asked: what is the weight of 1 mole eggs? I never figured out.

Oh, and of course: Happy Pie Day to Dr. Q and all others.
Haven't used pie since I gave up Engineering.
Haven't eaten one since 2015.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Out of interest how many digits of pie can you recall?
72. I memorized them when I was a pre-teen and haven't had a need for more accuracy than that while I spend hours each day working on my project to trisect an angle with a straightedge and compass.

6.022x10^23
Don't forget the important number nfr (ancient Egypt), aka śūnya (India, 200 BC) aka ṣifr (10th century Persia), aka zephyrum (Fibonacci, 12th century). We know it by another name these days, so it might be worth looking up!

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
72. I memorized them when I was a pre-teen and haven't had a need for more accuracy than that while I spend hours each day working on my project to trisect an angle with a straightedge and compass.

Don't forget the important number nfr (ancient Egypt), aka śūnya (India, 200 BC) aka ṣifr (10th century Persia), aka zephyrum (Fibonacci, 12th century). We know it by another name these days, so it might be worth looking up!

Had to look this one up. Very interesting.
Zero?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Come on I thought you were a professional. Your reply was at 3:13 local time. Close but no cigar!

Reactions: ChristianVirtual

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Agree, one of the big mistake of the Roman Empire was not to adjust to this numeric concept. Written in year MMXVII.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
vhsggccyp4oy.gif

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I think we might've invented the next version of Rorschach testing.
If you look at obeygiant's animation above, can you perceive it as a sphere with a 3D triangular solid attached, such that the sphere rotates horizontally and/or vertically to reveal the solid, while the triangle shaped solid does not change size? I can see it that way, at least briefly, if I try. It's somewhat like the way you perceive this image as a rotating sector of a circle, rather than straight and curved lines that change size.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
If you look at obeygiant's animation above, can you perceive it as a sphere with a 3D triangular solid attached, such that the sphere rotates horizontally and/or vertically to reveal the solid, while the triangle shaped solid does not change size? I can see it that way, at least briefly, if I try. It's somewhat like the way you perceive this image as a rotating sector of a circle, rather than straight and curved lines that change size.
I can, but I think the 3D triangular solid would need to move freely relative to the sphere to be viewed from every angle the animation reveals.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Who's ready for Billion And a Half Day on Thursday or Friday, depending on your time zone?

Thursday, July 13, 2017 7:40:00 PM PDT
Thursday, July 13, 2017 10:40:00 PM EDT
Friday, July 14, 2017 2:40:00 AM GMT​

That's when Unix time will reach 1,500,000,000! Whoo-hoo!

What will you do to celebrate? I will find some geeky way to recognize this important occasion, which happens to coincide with a dinner party I'm hosting tomorrow. I hope I don't scare away the guests!

How much is 1.5 billion?

Storing a digital encoding of the entire diploid human genome requires 1.5 billion bytes.

There are 1.5 billion logged-in YouTube users each month.

Theresa May made a £1.5 billion deal with the Democratic Unionist Party.

Lactobacillus Acidophilus/Bifidobacterium Animalis is a chewable probiotic tablet with 1.5 billion cells.

1.5 billion tires die annually.

The U.S. Geological Survey estimated that the annual U.S. consumption of helium is 1.5 billion cubic feet.

1.5 billion people have poor or no lights.

The first evidence of fossil eukaryotes appeared 1.5 billion years ago.

1.5 billion people are infected with parasitic worms. Ewww.

India will have a population of 1.5 billion in 2030.

1.5 billion South African rands is worth about $112 million.

Americans mailed 1.5 billion Christmas cards in 2010.​

Do you have other equally exciting facts about 1.5 billion to share?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Who's ready for Billion And a Half Day on Thursday or Friday, depending on your time zone?

Thursday, July 13, 2017 7:40:00 PM PDT
Thursday, July 13, 2017 10:40:00 PM EDT
Friday, July 14, 2017 2:40:00 AM GMT​

That's when Unix time will reach 1,500,000,000! Whoo-hoo!

What will you do to celebrate? I will find some geeky way to recognize this important occasion, which happens to coincide with a dinner party I'm hosting tomorrow. I hope I don't scare away the guests!

How much is 1.5 billion?

Storing a digital encoding of the entire diploid human genome requires 1.5 billion bytes.

There are 1.5 billion logged-in YouTube users each month.

Theresa May made a £1.5 billion deal with the Democratic Unionist Party.

Lactobacillus Acidophilus/Bifidobacterium Animalis is a chewable probiotic tablet with 1.5 billion cells.

1.5 billion tires die annually.

The U.S. Geological Survey estimated that the annual U.S. consumption of helium is 1.5 billion cubic feet.

1.5 billion people have poor or no lights.

The first evidence of fossil eukaryotes appeared 1.5 billion years ago.

1.5 billion people are infected with parasitic worms. Ewww.

India will have a population of 1.5 billion in 2030.

1.5 billion South African rands is worth about $112 million.

Americans mailed 1.5 billion Christmas cards in 2010.​

Do you have other equally exciting facts about 1.5 billion to share?
By 2072 that's how many posts you will need to hit the top spot in the Top 50 Posters chart!

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Ready for Pi Day here... starting early in case we lose power in the snowstorm overnight. Not sure why the artwork of my Orange Pi was arranged to look like a logarithmic spiral though... that's a completely different irrational number. ?! Oh well. Artistic license duly noted. I just liked the hot colors.

OrangePi.jpg

Reactions: someoldguy

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Happy Pi Day, everyone!

You were probably just saying this to yourself:

"How I wish I could calculate pi digits using the Apple computer (MacRumors website assisting)."​

Notice the lengths of the words in that sentence: 3 1 4 1 5 9 2 6 5 3 5 8 9 7 9!

Last edited:
Reactions: LizKat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.