Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Pi Day is my other birthday. It's the day I finished my last radiation treatment. I'll be 3 years old on Monday. :D
You should figure out when you'll be 3.14159265 years old.

0.14 * 365 = 51.684 days. But this year is a leap year, so not sure how to correct for that.

0.684 days = 16.416 hrs. So 16.416 hrs after midnite is the "pi-est moment". Or if you're measuring from time of last radiation treatment... Well, that's probably early AM next day, so whatever.

Anyway, there's enough leeway and corrections there you can have multiple birthdays, pi-days, 2pi-days, pi-squared-days, etc.

Then if you subtract "tio" ("uncle" in Spanish) from "radiation" you get "radian". So tell an uncle to stay away and you can celebrate a "radian" day, too.

And if you don't have any uncles, tell someone you know named "Bob", because "Bob's your uncle".

Reactions: AlliFlowers

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
You should figure out when you'll be 3.14159265 years old.

0.14 * 365 = 51.684 days. But this year is a leap year, so not sure how to correct for that.
Excellent suggestion!

Since we're already past leap day, no adjustment is needed. We can add .14159265... years to March 14, 2016, to find AlliFlowers's "PIrthday". That comes out to May 4, 2016, so mark your calendar. You can compute the time of day as follows: Measure the time between midnight the morning of March 14, 2013 and the time you consider your other birthday moment. For example, if it was noon then that would be 12 hours since midnight. Add that length of time to 4:21pm. That may take you to a time on May 5.

Or tell us what time your other birth was, and we'll do that math for you. :)

Reactions: AlliFlowers

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
You guys are too funny! The math is way beyond me. But I've marked May 4 on my calendar. ;)

Excellent suggestion!

Since we're already past leap day, no adjustment is needed. We can add .14159265... years to March 14, 2016, to find AlliFlowers's "PIrthday". That comes out to May 4, 2016, so mark your calendar. You can compute the time of day as follows: Measure the time between midnight the morning of March 14, 2013 and the time you consider your other birthday moment. For example, if it was noon then that would be 12 hours since midnight. Add that length of time to 4:21pm. That may take you to a time on May 5.

Or tell us what time your other birth was, and we'll do that math for you. :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Too much math
There's no such thing!

Here's today's math puzzle: If you spell out the non-negative integers in English, when do you first come to a use of the letter 'A'?

Zero, one, two, three, four... (no A's so far, but you'll get to some eventually)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There's no such thing!

Here's today's math puzzle: If you spell out the non-negative integers in English, when do you first come to a use of the letter 'A'?

Zero, one, two, three, four... (no A's so far, but you'll get to some eventually)
Thousand--as in one thousand--comes to mind as seemingly nothing before that contains an 'a' (although I kind of went though the possibilities quickly in my head so might have overlooked something).

Reactions: Gav2k

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Happy Pi day again @Doctor Q from past Atlanta Braves ballplayers

braves.png

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Happy Pi Day 2017!

The world record for reciting digits of pi hasn't change in over a year. The record holder is still Suresh Kumar Sharma, who memorized and recited 70,030 digits in October 2015.

If you want to hunt for life on other planets, you need pi. That's because planets with human-type life need densities in a certain range, and density can be computed as the ratio of (3 times the planet's mass) and (4 times the cube of the planet's radius times pi).

My three favorite types of pie are cherry, peach, and Dutch apple.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Happy Pi Day 2017!

The world record for reciting digits of pi hasn't change in over a year. The record holder is still Suresh Kumar Sharma, who memorized and recited 70,030 digits in October 2015.

If you want to hunt for life on other planets, you need pi. That's because planets with human-type life need densities in a certain range, and density can be computed as the ratio of (3 times the planet's mass) and (4 times the cube of the planet's radius times pi).

My three favorite types of pie are cherry, peach, and Dutch apple.
No love for a steak pie?

Out of interest how many digits of pie can you recall?

Anyway happy pie day!

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
3.1415926 ; all I need for my daily life

On a related side note: another number I will never forget: 1 mole

6.022x10^23
My teacher always asked: what is the weight of 1 mole eggs? I never figured out.

Oh, and of course: Happy Pie Day to Dr. Q and all others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.