Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malfunction

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
As the Paris show gets closer I have found Apple Employees to be getting a little loose lipped in regards to whats gonna happen.
1. Final Cut Pro for OSX (I'm very surprised that this subject has not been brought up very much in these forums)
2. The Flat Panel Imac is actually a Short Neck CRT (The price of flat panel material by the roll is still too expensive). The Screen will be over 15" though.
3. After January all the products should be G4 (but not now)
4. Airport....Faster Signal, Longer Distances.
5. Office for OSX will be ready.
6. The Government and the Military are not only making purchases of not only over 100,000 peices as we speak BUT they are also using a not yet named palmtop using OSX on some of the ships already. hmmmmm....interesting huh??

This is the first time that I have actually posted to this group and I'm so laid back that I will DEFINITELY will not be going back and forth with anyone regarding these subjects. These are just basic facts that I have found out and beleive it or not I MAY KNOW.
Peace.

malfunction

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
Wait......I forgot something.
7. They are still not ready for a CD Burner Internal for the powerbook G4. (They may be going up to 600MHZ for the Paris show though)

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Millitary

the millitary has been using Newton 4ever. R U sure about a newer one running X or just that they're using mac PDA's? Those shortneck CRT's must be from a new vendor.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
re shortneck

It's a squished down Cathode-Ray-Tube monitor. Like one of those new TV's that's about half as thick as the old ones.

appleman06

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2001
KY or NC, take your pick.
Cool

That's some good indight malfunction. Hope your right. Although, you know, the iBooks have burners now, so I'd think they'd be more than ready to put a faster burner in the PowerBook. I also hope it's a flatscreen iMac, then the whole linup would be flat screen. And what about iPhoto or iPicture? Think one of those will come out?

[Edited by appleman06 on 08-15-2001 at 02:57 PM]

malfunction

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
Unfortunately in regards to the apple source I talked to, and thinks about this one now, what we have been overlooking is the fact that the iBook is a tray and the TiBook is one of those Slot loading types. That is where the problem lies. They have not finished developing a Slot Loading type CDRW or combo drive period.

......also for mischief; my source said that it was definitely OSX and not anything else that was being run on the Militaries Handhelds.
..The fact of OSX being UNIX based is the MAIN reason PERIOD for all of the Governments and Militaries new found interest in the Apple Products.
The Only worry that Apple has at the moment is the fact that they are not geared up for the support involved with these new accounts.
LET's wish Apple luck with this. The more $$ they make, the more the consumer ("YES", even WINDOZE folks) benefit because of their dedication to investing over 11% of their profit to development (followed by a little over 2% from DELL)

malfunction

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
let me correct myself for a moment. When I said; "They have not finished developing a Slot Loading type CDRW or combo drive period." Please understand that I was NOT refering to the style in the iMac or G4. I was only refering to the low-profile style that is found in the iBook and TiBook.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
someone's either laughing or pissed

carefull what you let out: you're source might spook. Better to infer than say. We're looking at an LCD Imac here pretty quick anyway: Apple's not buying any more shortnecks from Mitsubishi. Unless you're aware of a new supplier I think we can call that counter intelligence. I was wondering about the slim-case burner.Bummer, I guess it's a desktop then.

malfunction

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
I'm not worried about anyone being spooked etc...I'm the kind of guy that shoots straight from the hip no matter what the circumstance. It really does appear though that it's a Short Neck no matter what the supply happens to be to them. I've heard people talking back and forth here in regards to the lack of that style monitor but the conversation that I had it appeared a matter of fact that it WILL NOT be an LCD but a wider short neck (hence the 15 1/4 " or something around that size).
by the way the information that I have given is neither gonna make or break the bank for Apple. I was given this information because of my involvement with Final Cut Pro. I am neither under disclosure or have any arrangements with Apple itself. I just happen to be a user for 20 years with a lot of involvement in the industry.
I'm gonna be out on my sailboat for the next 4 days (I'm actually not leaving until tomorrow to sail from Nova Scotia to New York City) so I'll try to remember some more of my conversation with my buddy (cause I know that i have forgotten some other fun facts)
peace out

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Isn't it a little soon...

For a "new iMac"? Two months between iMac upgrades? That's not exactly Apple's style....

MattB

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2001
Re: Isn't it a little soon...

Originally posted by john123
For a "new iMac"? Two months between iMac upgrades? That's not exactly Apple's style....

Sounds like the latest round of iMac upgrades was merely a stop-gap measure until September. How long were Flower Power and Blue Dalmation out? Definetly good to hear that the screen size will be over 15" (13.8" viewable). I also hope the form-factor will be reworked a little and won't just be a shallower version of the current iMac because of the shorter CRT.

Too bad about the PowerBook though. I was really hoping that Apple would get that straightened out especially because the combo drive is available in the lower priced iBook (Yes, I understand the iBook has the drawer type and the TiBook has the slot-loading type). Doesn't the mail-in CD-RW rebate end in September?

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Re: Re: Isn't it a little soon...

Originally posted by MattB
Originally posted by john123

Sounds like the latest round of iMac upgrades was merely a stop-gap measure until September. How long were Flower Power and Blue Dalmation out? Definetly good to hear that the screen size will be over 15" (13.8" viewable). I also hope the form-factor will be reworked a little and won't just be a shallower version of the current iMac because of the shorter CRT.

Too bad about the PowerBook though. I was really hoping that Apple would get that straightened out especially because the combo drive is available in the lower priced iBook (Yes, I understand the iBook has the drawer type and the TiBook has the slot-loading type). Doesn't the mail-in CD-RW rebate end in September?

Flower Power and Blue Dalmation lasted 6 months -- is that right? January to July?

You're right on the CD-RW rebate ending...which means Apple pretty much either has to put in a CD-RW internal (and our "anonymous source" is incorrect) or continue the rebate offer. Lots of companies extend the deadlines on offers set to expire; maybe that's what we'll see after all. Thoughts?

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
I can see it now the army and camouflage iMacs. Now thats better then flower power wouldn't you say? I would love to see a handle held running OS X, I hope your source is right about that one. Also does anyone know if Apple will ever make quicktime vr for OS X?

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
shortnecks would be great!! they would give a lot more desk space. and for the upgrade, the only big difference was the processor, why not bump up the processor to sell just a few more before cancelling production of the product, if apple decides to keep the G3 in the "new" imacs, then it's all fine and dandy.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
A Milspec PDA running OSX...(drool)...

It'd be the first PDA NOT to break after a 2" fall. Cool. Here's a thought: the PDA's may not even have Batteries in them. When the Mystic rumors were at their thickest I heard an interesting one to the effect that the device would have no HD. The thing would run as a terminal to a network of Airport "cells", each comprised of a water-tight, pole-top Cube and building-mount Airport. Power would be backed up with a cellular kit and each Cube would run something like OSX server. The PDA itself would be a TFT with solid state memory, battery (some rumors said it would be remote-powered too), and CPU. Voice Rec and touch screen built in. About the size of a pad of graph paper and about 1/2" thick.

appleman06

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2001
KY or NC, take your pick.
Shortneck....ok....i guess

Shortnecks would be pretty good, but I was so looking forward to an LCD iMac.....oh well. At least it will be thinner and bigger. I for one don't really care about a speed bump, we just got one, and 700mhz in a consumer computer is fine. Farewell dreams of LCD iMacs, I will miss you.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
arse

Could a PDA use OSX? i mean its minimum RAM requirements are 128 megs, am i right?

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
NOT a PDA

Steve doesn't lie, he only omits. Steve jobs has said both that there will be no Apple PDA and that there will not be a successor to Newton. He also said that all Apple computers are to run on one OS. We can extrapolate a new class of product from this.A full- fledged sub-notebook with no keyboard. The visual effect would be the same without the PDA paradox.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Pocket X???

But a gutted version of X wouldn't technically BE X. It violates the one-OS spirit of ol' Steverino's world domination plot. It'd be like Windows CE - basically a Palm-OS ripoff with more familiar features. I'd find that too lame for Apple.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Where do you think the palm came from? If we have OS X sever and OS X, why can't we have a watered down version of X?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.