Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
I have two M1 MacBook Pro’s running Venture 13.6.1. Both are connected to a hub via the MBP USB port. The hub has several USB ports and a Gigabit Ethernet port. The USB port has an Apple USB keyboard attached and a wired mouse that is connected to the keyboard. Same setup for both computers. The hubs are of a different make and still both have the same problem. So I suspect it is with the MBP and not the hub.

The problem. After the MBP goes to sleep, the Gigabit Ethernet connection fails upon wakeup. Mouse and keyboard are immediately available but the Gigabit Ethernet not. Only unplugging the USB hub and plugging it in again solves the problem.

Any tips, ideas etc? Thanks.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
What are the models of the two hubs you're using?

I have an M2 MacBook Pro connected to a CalDigit TS4 and haven't had this problem.

-- EDIT --

Are you running any networking related software on both machines? For example, are you using a VPN?

What do you mean by the "Gigabit Ethernet connection fails"?

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
One is a Inatec model HB2023 and the other a StraTech.com hb31c2atcgb

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
One is a Inatec model HB2023 and the other a StraTech.com hb31c2atcgb

I see. My hub is a powered one. I wonder if it's a timing issue. Here's a guess, though maybe far-fetched :

1 - Your computer wakes and powers on its USB port
2 - Your computer looks for Ethernet and doesn't see it, so brings down the network interface
3 - The hub finishes powering up and activates the Ethernet port

I suspect you wouldn't have this issue with a powered hub. But to be honest, I don't have the competence to answer with any authority.

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
I see. My hub is a powered one. I wonder if it's a timing issue. Here's a guess, though maybe far-fetched :

1 - Your computer wakes and powers on its USB port
2 - Your computer looks for Ethernet and doesn't see it, so brings down the network interface
3 - The hub finishes powering up and activates the Ethernet port

I suspect you wouldn't have this issue with a powered hub. But to be honest, I don't have the competence to answer with any authority.
Interesting thought. If this is so do you know of a way to influence this process? See if the computer sleeps a short time all is well and internet works immediately on wakeup. But if sleeping longer it is not working as described.

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
What are the models of the two hubs you're using?

I have an M2 MacBook Pro connected to a CalDigit TS4 and haven't had this problem.

I just had a look at that, is over the top for me.

Are you running any networking related software on both machines? For example, are you using a VPN?

What do you mean by the "Gigabit Ethernet connection fails"?

no VN or the likes running.

That the connection fails is the the machine (for example in the email or browser) reports that the internet is not connected.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
The TS4 was expensive. It took a long while for me to get over the cost and buy it.

Even with the TS4, I have USB issues that seem somewhat similar. I often have disks which disconnect when waking the computer from sleep. Many people report this issue. However, it never happens if the computer has only been asleep for a short while.

CalDigit support said that it was a problem with the M* chips of Apple. They did send me a replacement, but it was only worse with the new one. I'm really not sure which company is at fault; perhaps they both share a bit of it. It seems like the general wisdom (on these forums) is that you just have to keep searching to find the hub that works successfully with your mac. Perhaps you should look for some affordable powered hub.

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Morning svenmany. interesting to hear the comments from the TS4 folk and i am sure you needed to think twice at that price before getting it.

What i realised last night is that the problem started after I upgraded to OS13. In OS 12 we had no such problem.

Given that, I suspect it to not be a hardware problem but something to do with the way OS 13 works. I have fiddled with some of the Preferences I thought might influence it but have not gotten any success.

I also thought there might be a Terminal command but have no idea as to what it could be.

Did you talk to Apple at all about this?

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I didn't contact Apple. I just assumed it was waste of time since they could so easily point the finger at the third-party equipment. If the problem really is a subtle compatibility issue, I'm really not sure who would be to blame.

There are many threads about the external disk disconnects on these forums. I don't remember if I've seen one about the ethernet issue you're experiencing.

I guess, if I had your issue I'd start poking around, with low confidence that I'd solve it. But, here are some things I'd wonder about and experiment with.

Would I have an issue if an external drive were also plugged into the hub; would the drives occasionally disconnect when waking from sleep? (You get a warning on the screen when it happens.) If that were to happen, I'd say my chances of completely solving the ethernet problem would be zero. The external drive disconnection issue has been discussed so much and there never has been a solution discovered.

After the ethernet has failed, is there some other way to get it back up without disconnecting and reconnecting the hub?

I'd look at the output, in the terminal, of the command ifconfig. That would show a lot of interfaces, but I'd learn which one is the ethernet one (when ethernet is working) to see if it's there when ethernet is not. You could also look in System Settings, but you have to check things carefully since the service definition under the Network section will still show the ethernet one even if the hub were disconnected. But, if you were to dig, you would see no MAC address for that service.

If the interface is not present, then I'd think there's little chance of solving the issue without reconnecting the hub. If the interface is present, then I'd play around in System Settings (as you did) and the terminal (which you're not yet sure how to do) to try figure out a way to bring the interface up.

Anyway, I'm happy to try to help more if you decide to experiment, but I hope someone else has some actual insight into what the issue is or experience solving it.

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Evening svenmany.

Thanks for your long reply. Interesting thoughts indeed. I must say some of it I would not know how to do it but it gives me ideas to check. what puzzles me is that it has not happened in the past till I went to OS13.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Thanks, do you know this or think it could be? And if this is so why does the KB work imidately upon waking and the Network not? Do you know this?

I suppose you could easily test this for your setup. Just unplug the keyboard before going to bed and see if you have the problem when you wake the computer in the morning.

Reactions: K two

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Yes I did this immediately after reading your post. The KB is now connected directly to an USB port on the MBP. Lets see what happens.

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
Thanks, do you know this or think it could be? And if this is so why does the KB work imidately upon waking and the Network not? Do you know this?
The difference is due to the USB versIon the KB was made for ie: USB 1.1 vs. USB 2. Your M1 Mac most likely will need a current Mac KB for everything to work. Have you tried a Bluetooth K/B? 🧐

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
I have no access to a BT KB. but as I said I wired it straight in to the MBP.
Interesting about the USB versions. I did not think abut thta.

Reactions: K two

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
The difference is due to the USB versIon the KB was made for ie: USB 1.1 vs. USB 2. Your M1 Mac most likely will need a current Mac KB for everything to work. Have you tried a Bluetooth K/B? 🧐
I did connect my KB directly in ot the Mac and this made no difference. Or are you saying my KB plugged in anywhere could cause this?
And BTW the manufacturer of the hub said that the USB ports are backwards compatible.

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
I did connect my KB directly in ot the Mac and this made no difference. Or are you saying my KB plugged in anywhere could cause this?
And BTW the manufacturer of the hub said that the USB ports are backwards compatible.
That M1 will need a current Apple KB for it to work as intended, a mix of 3rd party KBs will lead to issues.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I'd completely disconnect any peripherals (other than the hub with the Ethernet cable) when you put your computer to sleep for the night. Wake it with the track pad or built-in keyboard. Then check whether the Ethernet is working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.