Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
I'd completely disconnect any peripherals (other than the hub with the Ethernet cable) when you put your computer to sleep for the night. Wake it with the track pad or built-in keyboard. Then check whether the Ethernet is working.

OK I can try that, will report back.

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Not a good sign. Hubs cause a lot of problems. If no one is able to help I'd consider purchasing a hub from an A list vendor with good support.
OK what would be in you humble opinion a "A list vendor "? Or is there somewhere a standard that i do not know about? Or what do you mean with it?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
OK what would be in you humble opinion a "A list vendor "

1. They have well known names that frequently appear in main page MacRumors articles as they release products. Satechi, OWC, Anker are a few. Usually offer a number of Mac products. Check the pictures of the product - does it appear to be high quality?

2. Once you find one of their products search the forums to check other people's experiences with that manufacturer. I purchased an OWC dock and had constant disconnects so eventually had to toss it. Have a couple of their disk enclosures and have never had a problem, other than the SoftRaid software which they charge you at every OS update. Results can vary by product. Support responded although they gave me answers that I didn't like. Had to pay for the SoftRaid 5-6 upgrade even though I had just purchased it a few weeks before. They are responsive but not accommodating.

I have/had 8 satechi dual plug switches, 2 USB (only) docks and a 4 port charger. I had some issues with the switches disconnecting. Called support and they replaced all 8 switches! One of the USB hubs failed. Suspected the power supply. Called support and they said that since it was discontinued they no longer have parts. Did find a replacement power supply but turned out the hub was defective. After heavy use for almost 10 years can't complain. Excellent support.

3. Check Amazon reviews and see if you can get an idea as to how good their products and support are.

There are many forum articles discussing dock failures. Finding a dock that supports your devices isn't an easy task since docks tend to be one of the most unreliable peripherals.

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
1. They have well known names that frequently appear in main page MacRumors articles as they release products. Satechi, OWC, Anker are a few. Usually offer a number of Mac products. Check the pictures of the product - does it appear to be high quality?

2. Once you find one of their products search the forums to check other people's experiences with that manufacturer. I purchased an OWC dock and had constant disconnects so eventually had to toss it. Have a couple of their disk enclosures and have never had a problem, other than the SoftRaid software which they charge you at every OS update. Results can vary by product. Support responded although they gave me answers that I didn't like. Had to pay for the SoftRaid 5-6 upgrade even though I had just purchased it a few weeks before. They are responsive but not accommodating.

I have/had 8 satechi dual plug switches, 2 USB (only) docks and a 4 port charger. I had some issues with the switches disconnecting. Called support and they replaced all 8 switches! One of the USB hubs failed. Suspected the power supply. Called support and they said that since it was discontinued they no longer have parts. Did find a replacement power supply but turned out the hub was defective. After heavy use for almost 10 years can't complain. Excellent support.

3. Check Amazon reviews and see if you can get an idea as to how good their products and support are.

There are many forum articles discussing dock failures. Finding a dock that supports your devices isn't an easy task since docks tend to be one of the most unreliable peripherals.

Wow, good info and thank you! Sounds like a bit of a hit and miss mission to find a working hub. Still thanks for taking the time to write this.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Sounds like a bit of a hit and miss mission to find a working hub.
That’s true even within a single model. CalDigit sent me a replacement TS4. It was considerably worse than my original one with respect to disk disconnects. They agreed to let me just keep the original one and send the replacement back.

I also have a 2018 MacBook Pro that was connected to a TS3+. It was working fine, no disconnects. Then apple replaced the motherboard due to a swollen battery. I then started getting disconnects.

For now, I’m just preventing my computer from sleeping.

But, I’ve never had Ethernet issues with either hub.

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
That’s true even within a single model. CalDigit sent me a replacement TS4. It was considerably worse than my original one with respect to disk disconnects. They agreed to let me just keep the original one and send the replacement back.

I also have a 2018 MacBook Pro that was connected to a TS3+. It was working fine, no disconnects. Then apple replaced the motherboard due to a swollen battery. I then started getting disconnects.

For now, I’m just preventing my computer from sleeping.

But, I’ve never had Ethernet issues with either hub.
OMG, what a drama. But thanks for the information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.